SWOOP - A New Hires Future

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: SWOOP - A New Hires Future

Post by daedalusx »

Normally I’d say that it looks like some pilots needs to find their balls and start booking off fatigue away from base for maximum effect but we’re talking about Swoop crews here ...
---------- ADS -----------

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

daedalusx wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm Normally I’d say that it looks like some pilots needs to find their balls and start booking off fatigue away from base for maximum effect but we’re talking about Swoop crews here ...
Ok ace, Swoop's pay is the same as Sunwing and Transat, plus it pays profit sharing and ESP, so not sure what you mean?!

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

Lest we forget that Sunwing has a credit system.

So let’s not float the same BS that Tbalyx did.

JJJ

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Not following, please do elaborate.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

Ah yes the “ESP and profit share” promise. Rumour has it, Swoop will be operating at a loss of 300 million dollars over the next 3-4 years.

If you believe Swoop or even WJ mainline employees are going to share profit share, your dreaming.

Also the executive says that our share price will only rise with increased profit. With the yield that Swoop generates combined with the current load factors, profit will not rise anytime soon.

Swoop is the worse 737 job in North America period. The fact the arbitrator did not see this leads to believe he was paid off on his rulings

cloak wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am
daedalusx wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm Normally I’d say that it looks like some pilots needs to find their balls and start booking off fatigue away from base for maximum effect but we’re talking about Swoop crews here ...
Ok ace, Swoop's pay is the same as Sunwing and Transat, plus it pays profit sharing and ESP, so not sure what you mean?!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

cloak wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am
Well Stud, the job employment market certainly disagree with all your statements. Matter of a fact, even at 1500 hrs min time required, this is by FAR the least desirable job, it’s so bad that they can’t even find people OTS and WJ has to do the old bait and switch (interview for mainline and get a Swoop offer). Now compare that to Sunwing who is flooded with 5000+ hrs 705 jet resumes, including, yes, Swoop pilots (oh the irony).

Also ever heard of the opportunity cost ? If I make 75k at Sunwing working 8 days a month and sleeping in my own bed same time zone vs making 75k at Swoop with horrific red eyes and unproductive flying working 19 days a month, can you truly say pay is the same ? How much you value your time and your quality of life ? Also I’d argue that it’s much easier to take 1-2 days of OT when you’re working 8-10 days as opposed already working 19 but hey, Swoop sure sounds great if you’re single, lifeless and can’t wait to selfie #PROPSAREFORBOATS #TOOCOOLFORTIES.

Finally, someone up the training department might want to add extra CBTs or curriculum on copying and reading back clearances, it’s getting really embarrassing and I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed it.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Rhetoric aside, there is little difference and honestly, speaking of "sleeping in one's own bed" Sunwing has its own problems judging by recent overseas drafts and attrition...bottom line, there are positive and negative points to every job; ultimately one has to decide based on personal situation and priorities. Good luck to all.

Flyingsquirrelsuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flyingsquirrelsuck »

Well you avoided any real conversation by saying “rhetoric aside”, I’m curious what are some positives about working at Swoop?

cloak wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:48 pm Rhetoric aside, there is little difference and honestly, speaking of "sleeping in one's own bed" Sunwing has its own problems judging by recent overseas drafts and attrition...bottom line, there are positive and negative points to every job; ultimately one has to decide based on personal situation and priorities. Good luck to all.

Return to “WestJet”