Other Options

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Other Options

Post by AirDoan »

Hello Grand Aviators!

As I sit here waiting for the weather to clear so I can keep dropping skydivers I have lots of time to consider my universe. Long story short.....working on group 1 (INRAT completed, but my ride is awaiting an engine over haul with no ETA) and will be flying skydivers for the summer. I should easily be in the 850+ range with 700ish PIC TT (300+ Low Level X-Country) at the end of the season. My plan has been to go for PasCo after as I am wanting the west coast lifestyle and not really into big trips around the world for days or weeks. Anyway I did some awesome pipeline patrols in Alberta that I enjoyed and I was thinking. When I am done this, is there any other kind of flying that is more mission oriented like patrols but that 1) make a decent income with a good package and at least commutable 2) have interesting aircraft/missions? It came up when an old instructor was telling me that they were now working with PAL Aerospace and I admit I had not heard of them. I am basically asking for thoughts and feelings about not going the airline route for someone in their late 30s and really not into travelling the world anymore?

D
---------- ADS -----------

Daigo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Other Options

Post by Daigo »

Sounds like you enjoy some thrill in your flying. Ever considered doing bush flying?

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Plenty of float operations on the west coast that could be interesting for you (Harbour Air)...

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Hilroy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:19 pm Plenty of float operations on the west coast that could be interesting for you (Harbour Air)...
They want real float time. And to be honest if I was 10 or 15 years younger getting started I'd do a couple season in Sioux Lookout or somewhere hauling fish for 2k/month and no room or board. Get the 100-200 hours float time pic they would need for me to get very far from what I heard. I have my float rating but I haven't put an hour in for over two years. Still, HA or SeaAir could be fun. I dunno just thinking there might be a decent living to be made outside passenger service in Canada, the coast specifically.

800man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 800man »

Apply to the Forces.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

How about bird dog

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Fire bombing

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

AMSD at PAL Aerospace looks like a good gig. Know a few there and they like it. They have King Airs based in YHZ, YYT and YQQ. Pretty strict on having 1500TT tho due to the contracts they have.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

superbilly24 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 am AMSD at PAL Aerospace looks like a good gig. Know a few there and they like it. They have King Airs based in YHZ, YYT and YQQ. Pretty strict on having 1500TT tho due to the contracts they have.
You don't have any buds there,. 1500TT is incorrect.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:55 pm
superbilly24 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 am AMSD at PAL Aerospace looks like a good gig. Know a few there and they like it. They have King Airs based in YHZ, YYT and YQQ. Pretty strict on having 1500TT tho due to the contracts they have.
You don't have any buds there,. 1500TT is incorrect.
You’re right. It’s more like 1750 hours.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=130878&p=1071222#p1071222

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Bush flying, water bombing

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Pasco is doable with those hours. Central Mountain Air has a YVR base and you should get on fairly easily with those hours. PAL Aerospace will require more hours than you have and not really the place to time build IFR experience. Fire fighting is out of the question with your hours and experience.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

It's too bad that these cool flying jobs aren't available in bigger southern cities. From my experience it seems that for most pilots who want to/need to stay down south the only viable career options are airline and corporate flying and corporate tends to be unstable at times.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Why?

Bigger southern cities suck. I grew up in a bigger southern city and after I went up north I never wanted to go back. Friends of mine still there struggling to make the mortgage payments on the tiny townhouse that their parents loaned them the down payment for, vs the five acres I just bought with a house and shop I’ll be free and clear of inside ten years.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Because [insert major city here] is the best city in the world. Everybody wants to live here so they can twitter-chat and snap-feed every detail to the other 2 million people living there.

The northern flying jobs tend to pay quite a bit better than the Jazz/Encore type. Plus the lower cost of living outside a big city often means much more disposable income for hobbies, travelling, etc.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Because some prefer to be in a bigger city then small... It's personal preference at the end of the day.

It also depends on one's definition of "big"... It's not all about population at the end of the day

Leaving aviation aside, I would never live in a place up north like thunder Bay... Just the weather alone turns me off. Even a place like Winnipeg which is a big city is a turn off because of the harsh winter months. I come from a city of roughly 350000 people back home. It's not massive like Toronto, but it's lively, has great places to live in, and the overall atmosphere is great. Winter lasts from mid November to beginning of March and temperatures never really dip below - 5. Even if the population is not big, I still consider something like my hometown as a "big" city as there are many options around you... You get bored of the city? There's mountains nearby, if you don't fancy that, plenty of lakes too, bored of that? Next big city is a couple hundred km away, so road trip or even take a low cost to another city

Thunder Bay, well other then in the city, there is literally nothing around other then lakes, and you have to travel long distances to get to anything else to do something different... Same goes for even a place like Toronto, not a whole lot going on outside of the city, so at least being in it can compensate for the other missing things

It all depends on what you fancy, so saying that living up north or in a small city is better is purely subjective

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

North like Thunder Bay? What is the world coming to when a Canadian considers a city south of the 49th parallel to be "north". Come visit the real north, somewhere north of 60.

For the OP, I'd look into float flying. Daytime only, rarely overnights, can be seasonal, pays more than the regionals (assuming you're with the correct outfit). The downside of the seasonal is generally speaking you lose your summers. The flying can be challenging, and on the good days, there is nothing better in aviation.

Given your time, you'll likely have to suffer through a bit of time as an FO if you're interested in the IFR side of things. Once you've got a bit more time, and if you're content on smaller aircraft, the world is your oyster as far as jobs/lifestyles you want. For example, I fly a mix of IFR/Bush/Float, average 9-10 days of work a month, home every night and make over 100k, it's a lifestyle gig. I'll never make what a 777 captain makes, but I've got more time then I know what to do with. You could also look into Pacific Sky if the west coast lifestyle is your thing.

PC

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Yep, Thunder Bay is a frozen hell hole, yet Edmonton is fantastic.

Is Edmonton considered a "southern city"? Lol.

Sounds like twa22 needs to move to Florida.

One of my pet peeves is people who move up north for work, and complain about it to EVERYBODY. You took the f----n job, did you expect to go sun bathing on beautiful beaches on the Arctic coast? You knew where it was when you accepted the job. If you don't like the north, don't apply for the job.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 am Yep, Thunder Bay is a frozen hell hole, yet Edmonton is fantastic.

Is Edmonton considered a "southern city"? Lol.

Sounds like twa22 needs to move to Florida.

One of my pet peeves is people who move up north for work, and complain about it to EVERYBODY. You took the f----n job, did you expect to go sun bathing on beautiful beaches on the Arctic coast? You knew where it was when you accepted the job. If you don't like the north, don't apply for the job.
Point I was trying to make is not everybody likes living up north and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't mind the cold, but southern Ontario cold with 5 plus months of winter is enough for me

I wouldn't move to Edmonton either unless it was short term for a couple years

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Thanks for all the input. It’s given me some great food for thought. My reasons to try and stay closer to “home” aren’t because I just like the south more, though it would be a lie to say I wouldn’t prefer it. I spent an almost unbroken year away during my patrol job. Not seasonal as it was full time. During which my better half and I tried to find her meaningful employment somewhere, anywhere, outside Victoria that would not unfairly cost her the position, respect and income she’s already spent her adult life building within her field. Even now where I am we are still separated, however it’s manageable. Regardless she keeps looking for work anywhere that will help me get to my next level. I got lucky with this one! Lol.

Anyway bird dogging is an interesting idea. And Coulson’s is Based on the island. Any idea what they might need?

Return to “Employment Forum”