Keewatin

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

faculties11
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:29 pm

Keewatin

Post by faculties11 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Any info on hiring at Keewatin? Wages, conditions, sked and accomodation?
---------- ADS -----------
  

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by FICU » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:56 am

It's very possible that wages are the same as they were 20 years ago.
---------- ADS -----------
  

dogfood
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by dogfood » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Yeah it’s still 50k a year for a king air 200 capt pretty sad...
---------- ADS -----------
  

Northcapt1020
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by Northcapt1020 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Still 50k for captains on the 200, not a place with very high employee moral, PM for more info
---------- ADS -----------
  

greygoose
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by greygoose » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:45 pm

dogfood wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm
Yeah it’s still 50k a year for a king air 200 capt pretty sad...
That’s pretty pathetic, another operator on the field just posted an ad saying some of their King Air capts are making 120-140k per year! And on a better schedule too in my opinion.
---------- ADS -----------
  

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by FICU » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 pm

dogfood wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm
Yeah it’s still 50k a year for a king air 200 capt pretty sad...
Close! Captains were starting at 45K 20 years ago so 5 grand bump over a period of 20 years. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
  

dogfood
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by dogfood » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:31 am

People are still taking the jobs so guess we can't really blame them for the terrible pay hopefully it catches up to them
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by goingnowherefast » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 am

I bet there are a few odd 703 FOs making more than 50 grand....
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by MrAviator19 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 am

Rotational schedule for all employees that aren't working at the headquarters in YWG, which is pilots/flight nurses/flight coordinators: 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.
All accommodation is provided by company at all the bases: CYFB, CYRT, CYZF, CYCB, CYYQ and most recently added CYGT. The new Manitoba Govt. contract has also added CYWG and CYTH bases for pilots.

As of now: 1 PC12, 1 King Air, 1 Learjet (to be replaced with citation soon) & 1 citation based out of CYFB, 1 KA at CYGT. The rest of the King Airs are divided into other bases, not sure of exact numbers for each.

Lots of flying on the KA, roughly 60-80 hrs each rotation. About 40-60 hrs on the PC12 which serves as both medevac and charter. Not sure about the jets.

Pay scale:
PC12 FO: $28,500
PC-12 Captain: $63,500 (min. 2000 hrs for upgrade)

KA FO: $30,000
KA Captain: $50,000 (min. 1500 hrs for upgrade)

Only the PC12 (STOL performance) goes to places like CYLC & CYGZ, 1600 ft & 1800 ft runways respectively, which is why upgrade requirements are higher than KA.

Not sure about jets figures.

Per diems are $50 a day for pilots while on rotation which comes up to $800 a month paid separately from the paycheck. As for conditions, medevac is a 24/7 on call operation. Once started, duty day is 14 hrs and then 10 hrs of rest. A full duty day during busy months with min rest is not uncommon, that's roughly 3-4 medevacs. But there are good days with just 1-2 short medevacs and you could be done in 6 hrs then go to rest. Both day and night flying but it's the Arctic after all, with the sun out at 2 am in the summer or not out at all in some places in the winter.

Hope that helps!

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by MrAviator19 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by MrAviator19 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:56 am

goingnowherefast wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 am
I bet there are a few odd 703 FOs making more than 50 grand....
I don't think so :!:

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by MrAviator19 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by digits_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 am

Thanks for sharing, but holy crap that's low. Especially for a medevac operator. Wow.
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by MrAviator19 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:13 am

digits_ wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:57 am
Thanks for sharing, but holy crap that's low. Especially for a medevac operator. Wow.
There are yearly increments, not sure about the numbers.
Once you add the per diems, $28K + $9600 (yearly), roughly $38K for instance, it pretty much comes up to industry standards for FOs. I know carriers in Northern Ontario that pay their PC12 FOs less than that, make them commute on their own dime and pay for their own housing!

Even some regionals pay their dash FOs either less or the same. So really, Keewatin isn't a bad choice if you like the schedule :)

Also forgot to mention, company pays for flights back & forth from rotation and excess baggage fees on carriers like AC or WJ.

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by digits_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:36 am

50k for captains though?

Perimeter makes just shy of double that on base salary, short of triple that if you add the bonuses.
Vanguard is around 70k nowadays I believe?

I'm honestly surprised they can still find captains meeting the medevac minimums for that salary. But hey, their perogative of course. Just surprised.
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by MrAviator19 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 am

digits_ wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:36 am
50k for captains though?

Perimeter makes just shy of double that on base salary, short of triple that if you add the bonuses.
Vanguard is around 70k nowadays I believe?

I'm honestly surprised they can still find captains meeting the medevac minimums for that salary. But hey, their perogative of course. Just surprised.
Agreed on Captain's pay.

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by LifeAt90Kts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:20 am

I’m making the same as their king air captains as a year one Navajo driver in NWO, and I know other companies around here paying more than mine. That’s pretty brutal. :?
---------- ADS -----------
  

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by fish4life » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am

Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by Yycjetdriver » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:29 pm

fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
(Not defending Keewatin or their subpar pay at all) Perhaps the opportunity for a quick upgrade, in turn the chance to quickly build the ATPL required hours and then in a few short years work at a better 705. Saves those 250 hour folks from turning into a sad regional FO having to rent a single piston on their own dime.
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by digits_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:09 pm

fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
There are still way more 250 hour pilots out there than there are 250 hour pilot jobs... It's a good time to be a pilot, but still hard to start out, albeit significantly easier than 5 years ago.
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by goingnowherefast » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm

For any 250hr person accepting the job, my sympathies that's the best option you could find. No doubt you'll upgrade super quick. After that, get your ATPL signed off ASAP, and once your year is done, leave on the day your bond is done. 2000hrs and an ATPL, you could find a job nearing 100 grand. Keewatin clearly loves being a training academy because it's obvious they don't want to retain pilots with that salary.

Unless second year captain pay is like 95 grand, and in that case disregard.
---------- ADS -----------
  

yhz41
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:34 pm
Location: Windy Hell

Re: Keewatin

Post by yhz41 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm
For any 250hr person accepting the job, my sympathies that's the best option you could find. No doubt you'll upgrade super quick. After that, get your ATPL signed off ASAP, and once your year is done, leave on the day your bond is done. 2000hrs and an ATPL, you could find a job nearing 100 grand. Keewatin clearly loves being a training academy because it's obvious they don't want to retain pilots with that salary.

Unless second year captain pay is like 95 grand, and in that case disregard.
It's a 2 year bond. And no, 2nd year captain on the 200 is 55k. And a 6 hour duty day is rare..I dont think I ever had one of those. You are almost always running max duty min rest.
---------- ADS -----------
  

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by fish4life » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 am

Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:29 pm
fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
(Not defending Keewatin or their subpar pay at all) Perhaps the opportunity for a quick upgrade, in turn the chance to quickly build the ATPL required hours and then in a few short years work at a better 705. Saves those 250 hour folks from turning into a sad regional FO having to rent a single piston on their own dime.
Except for the fact that Calm Air is granting LOA’s to FO’s that need the PIC to go direct entry cpt on the keweetin king airs
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by MrAviator19 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 am

fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
Year 1 FO at Calm Air does not make $60K, and definitely not a 250 hour pilot!

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: Keewatin

Post by fish4life » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 am

MrAviator19 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 am
fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
Year 1 FO at Calm Air does not make $60K, and definitely not a 250 hour pilot!

MrA
It will easily be over 60K

average credit hours per month is easily 85 without picking up overtime on days off due to block growth

85 hours * 49.35/hour = $4194.75/month * 12 months = $50337
$89.50 per diem * 10 overnights / month = $895 * 12 months = $10 740
$1.55 / duty hour meal allowance * 120 (low side) duty hours = $186/month * 12 months = $2232
50337 + 10740 + 2232 = $63309 / year for an FO that isn't picking up OT in year 1
Add on 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of biddable stats so 5 weeks vacation per year and it will blow keweetin out of the park.

now lets compare to Perimeter
Base FO medevac wage at perimeter is $41 937.08 + hourly of $3.19 (3.19*80 hours (low assumption)) = $45 000 + per diems
Base CPT medevac wage at perimeter is $95 600.70 + hourly of $7.28 (7.28*80 hours (low assumption)) = $102 600 + per diems + retention bonuses

so keweetin is far far far far far behind their EIC counterparts, as for 250 hour FO's at Calm Air there have been many hired over the last 2 years.
---------- ADS -----------
  

MrAviator19
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by MrAviator19 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:34 pm

fish4life wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 am
MrAviator19 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 am
fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
Year 1 FO at Calm Air does not make $60K, and definitely not a 250 hour pilot!

MrA
It will easily be over 60K

average credit hours per month is easily 85 without picking up overtime on days off due to block growth

85 hours * 49.35/hour = $4194.75/month * 12 months = $50337
$89.50 per diem * 10 overnights / month = $895 * 12 months = $10 740
$1.55 / duty hour meal allowance * 120 (low side) duty hours = $186/month * 12 months = $2232
50337 + 10740 + 2232 = $63309 / year for an FO that isn't picking up OT in year 1
Add on 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of biddable stats so 5 weeks vacation per year and it will blow keweetin out of the park.

now lets compare to Perimeter
Base FO medevac wage at perimeter is $41 937.08 + hourly of $3.19 (3.19*80 hours (low assumption)) = $45 000 + per diems
Base CPT medevac wage at perimeter is $95 600.70 + hourly of $7.28 (7.28*80 hours (low assumption)) = $102 600 + per diems + retention bonuses

so keweetin is far far far far far behind their EIC counterparts, as for 250 hour FO's at Calm Air there have been many hired over the last 2 years.
I'm never said they don't hire 250-hr guys, just that they won't be paid $60K. Anyways, where is this information from? Because this isn't what I was told when I interviewed with them less than a year ago. :rolleyes:

But I do agree that Keewatin is far behind where medevac salaries ought to be.

MrA
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Keewatin

Post by Yycjetdriver » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:19 pm

fish4life wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 am
Yycjetdriver wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:29 pm
fish4life wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am
Why would anyone go work for keweetin as an FO when a 250 hour pilot can work for Calm Air and make 60k as a year 1 FO?
(Not defending Keewatin or their subpar pay at all) Perhaps the opportunity for a quick upgrade, in turn the chance to quickly build the ATPL required hours and then in a few short years work at a better 705. Saves those 250 hour folks from turning into a sad regional FO having to rent a single piston on their own dime.
Except for the fact that Calm Air is granting LOA’s to FO’s that need the PIC to go direct entry cpt on the keweetin king airs
You’re missing my point. What I stated was they could spend a few years at Keewatin (or any 703/704) aquire the hours and go to a better 705.
Instead of going to calm air for a few years, taking a loa, going to Keewatin (or any 703/704) then back to calm air and maybe then on to another regional.
You may think calm air is a decent 705 and it may be, fact is not many people want to hang their hat in Winnipeg or Thompson.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”