AirTransat: for sale-Blue-rouge...?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Transat AT Inc Announces Preliminary Discussions Concerning a Potential Sale of the Corporation

Post by Old fella »

rudder wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:29 pm
daedalusx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 am
Book value is 10-12$ with the excesses cash and hotel investment. Good luck convincing the stockholders to sign off at 10. It’s not the greatest stock but I’m still not confident it’ll sell at that price.
Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

If AC offered a cash/stock combination my guess is lots of TRZ shareholders would sign up.
Dumbing it down to my level - which is low- why would AC wanna get involved. What’s in it for them outside of a possible fiasco aka CAI/AC merger ‘90s.
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: AirTransat: for sale-Blue-rouge...?

Post by Beefitarian »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 pm Sad news indeed. :( For the industry that is.

God I hope that this will not result in a mapleflot country.

But what do I know, I am stupid enough to believe in democracy.
What is mapleflot?

I used to believe in democracy.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:11 am
What is mapleflot?
It's a disparaging name that non-Air Canada folks used to use to describe AC at a time when it was a crown corporation (or a national airline) like Aeroflot was to the former Soviet Union. The AC of today resembles that crown corporation in name only. Is it perfect? No, but it's a far better airline (and employer) than many others. Unfortunately, some folks have yet to move on.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Thanks. I got the aeroflot as part of the reference but didn't have a guess on origin. Fun.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Transat AT Inc Announces Preliminary Discussions Concerning a Potential Sale of the Corporation

Post by daedalusx »

Same with TUI ... why would they want to risk becoming another C3000 ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Transat was not looking for a buyer and they don’t sell because of a critical financial situation. It looks like they got offers from X who believe it’s a good investment (financial and/or most probably strategic) and if they’re now willing to sell it’s certainly because the offer is pretty attractive.
As an employee I see it positively as it may be beneficial for the majority of us (maybe except for the managers/directors/VPs).
Wait and see; discussions are more than at a preliminary stage in my opinion.

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Word out is Westjet could be one of the very interested party, having interest to expand in international markets...

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I'll take that on.......

In the US, tons of big timers disappeared.

PanAm, TWA, Braniff, and on it goes.

The market there can absorb a failure. Others take up the slack.

Not the same situation here. Big red goes natuarally, nobody can take up the market, leading to serious problems for the state. Even westjet could not replace the routes, contrary to the US situation. Delta, American, blah blah, can do the job.
So AC is too big to fail. Feds will always bail the place out. No choice.
Are you still going to give me history lessons?

Over here, it can't

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Transat being bought by an airline is really far off the mark.
Why would AC want to get into managing hotels?

People should be looking at the fact they increased their foreign ownership limit allowance to the federal limit of 49% at the last meeting... Just like the Hunters did when they got TUI's backing.

Boy... that was terrible for SWG was it? ;)

TS is entrenched in evolving from tour operator to hotel developer, and a large backing would accelerate the process.

You can quote me on this: My money is on the massive Hong Kong conglomerate that bought a large chunk of land from them recently in a cash raising deal.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Does Transat mean something in French? It’s a weird word.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm Does Transat mean something in French? It’s a weird word.
Trans atlantic

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

DanWEC wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 pm Transat being bought by an airline is really far off the mark.
Why would AC want to get into managing hotels?

People should be looking at the fact they increased their foreign ownership limit allowance to the federal limit of 49% at the last meeting... Just like the Hunters did when they got TUI's backing.

Boy... that was terrible for SWG was it? ;)

TS is entrenched in evolving from tour operator to hotel developer, and a large backing would accelerate the process.

You can quote me on this: My money is on the massive Hong Kong conglomerate that bought a large chunk of land from them recently in a cash raising deal.
That's an interesting take, I could see it.

Wouldn't discount AC as a buyer quite yet though. Being the biggest, and the flag carrier, wasn't good enough, so they got into the low yield tour operator and leisure travel business via air Canada vacations and rouge. So maybe the leadership would figure "why not".

Canada is interesting. Don't know of many majors around the world (the US in particular), that departed their core air transportation business in favor of tour operating.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Get the planes and the crews, sell off the vacation assets. Solves some of their crew shortage problem and extra planes help add capacity.

It's plausible. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:19 pm Get the planes and the crews, sell off the vacation assets. Solves some of their crew shortage problem and extra planes help add capacity.

It's plausible. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.
Replace the max with the NEO Transat has on order

Return to “General Comments”