Beginning of Transat wave?

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Beginning of Transat wave?

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Sharklasers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 am
So all of you that ditched TS in the past few years for AC will end up behind the pilots that stayed at TS on the seniority list if they blend them.

You can rest assured that if the worst case scenerio merger happened the AC pilots would go down kicking and screaming. Article one of the ACPA contract says in the event of a merger the ACPA can void the contract and start from scratch, we can renegotiate all aspects of our contract and strike if needed. It would not be the warm DOH welcome you have pictured in your head. Even if ACPA goes ALPA the merger will not nessescarily be DOH, that is a myth. see the Virgin/Alaskan Merger if you want a very recent example, both alpa careers final outcome very diffèrent from straight DOH.
DOH and career expectations are to be looked at among other things.
I am not saying you wont get DOH, but its a long road from here to there.
Nothing is ever a done deal but the Alaskan vs Virgin merger had two carries with very different histories and virgin being so young compared to Alaskan. Was a big factor in the decision, it went to a panel.
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

From experience.

If the two merging pilots groups can not come to an agreement on their own, the whole seniority bun fight goes to the labor board to decide. It doesn't matter ALPA's policy or ACPA's policy. Nor does it matter what the company may want or think. The only opinion that will matter is that of the arbitrator appointed by the labor board.

Again from experience. It is better to do a deal and avoid arbitration.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Fanblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm From experience.

If the two merging pilots groups can not come to an agreement on their own, the whole seniority bun fight goes to the labor board to decide. It doesn't matter ALPA's policy or ACPA's policy. Nor does it matter what the company may want or think. The only opinion that will matter is that of the arbitrator appointed by the labor board.

How could it be better? It's a zero sum situation. No matter what the arbitrator decides, the group as a whole is not better or worse off. If the deal has you on the bottom and the arbitrator puts you in the middle, how could the deal be better?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

ahramin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Fanblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm From experience.

How could it be better? It's a zero sum situation. No matter what the arbitrator decides, the group as a whole is not better or worse off. If the deal has you on the bottom and the arbitrator puts you in the middle, how could the deal be better?
No one understands the situation better than the individuals impacted. Injustices take place at the hands of those who don't really understand the complete ramifications of what they are doing.

Arbitration is a risk

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:03 am With a market cap under $200MM TRZ is a potential target for an unsolicited takeover offer.

There is a certain other related company sitting on $1B+ in cash. Acquiring TRZ and selling off non-operational assets would certainly improve its own competitive position and increase yields.
What if someone is looking at the tour operation side of Transat but doesn't want the airline side? Perhaps multiple purchases and consolidation. What value does the airline side of Transat have without the tour operation side?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Fanblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 pm
rudder wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:03 am With a market cap under $200MM TRZ is a potential target for an unsolicited takeover offer.

There is a certain other related company sitting on $1B+ in cash. Acquiring TRZ and selling off non-operational assets would certainly improve its own competitive position and increase yields.
What if someone is looking at the tour operation side of Transat but doesn't want the airline side? Perhaps multiple purchases and consolidation. What value does the airline side of Transat have without the tour operation side?
Anything is possible, but the distribution Transat has is directly linked to the Airline. We currently have over 90% of the lift sold by the group. I suspect the airline side of the business is a big part of the deal being discussed.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

Any word on application timelines & upcoming ground schools?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

September ground school was moved up to start on Monday, May 13th.

That is all I know.

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 pm September ground school was moved up to start on Monday, May 13th.

That is all I know.
How many ground schools were they running in September?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Sorry don't know. I only know the one course was bumped as I will be in attendance.

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

When did you interview?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm I suspect the top execs worry about more than what unions represent one employee group. They probably don't even care.
I suspect those execs know the best way to destabilise a pilot group is keep them in fighting as long and possible so that they don't get organised. Divide and conquer at its most basic level. Piss off AC pilots by giving TS pilots DOH, piss of Jazz pilots by circumnavigating the 80% guarantee they signed a 17 year deal for, and piss off the TS pilots by taking away their wide bodies and high credit flying. The more different unions at play the better from an exec point of view.

Return to “Air Transat”