Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Donald »

Initial reports are engine failure, attempted return, aircraft written off, 2 crew only with no fatalities.

https://cabinradio.ca/15623/news/south- ... e-failure/
---------- ADS -----------

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by igorcanuck »

Well, I guess they will have season 2 of "plane savers".

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

igorcanuck wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:07 pm Well, I guess they will have season 2 of "plane savers".
:lol:

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Interesting.

I wonder what the all up take off weight was?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c77bb59&opt=0

A Buffalo Airways Douglas C-47A Skytrain (DC-3), registration C-GJKM performing flight J4-169 from Hay River,NT to Yellowknife,NT (Canada) with 2 crew, was enroute about 20 minutes into the 55 minutes flight when the right hand engine failed. The crew attempted to return to Hay River, however, had to perform a forced landing in open terrain around about 08:00L (14:00Z). The crew remained uninjured, the status of the aircraft is currently unknown (unverified preliminary information suggests the aircraft received damage beyond repair).

The Canadian TSB is looking into the occurrence to decide whether to deploy investigators on site.

The airline reported the cause was a mechanical fault, both crew are safe.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pmI wonder what the all up take off weight was?
Heavy is my guess

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Heavy is my guess
At the density altitude Yellowknife would be this time of year a properly loaded properly maintained and properly flown DC3 should be able to return to the airport.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

The shame is that idiot, armchair pilots use the reporting of idiot, media sources to formulate their idiotic conclusions.
This will no doubt get the Avcanada mouthpieces horned up.

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

No pictures?

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

The DC3 is an old beast. Some fly better than others. I've brought back more than a couple on the far side of gross after one went south. More memorable were the three I couldn't fly home. Two I was able to constantly descend onto strips.....but not the ones I wanted to land at. Neither would stay in the air. The third had about 1500 pounds on board (2 14 foot aluminium boats and 2 15 hp outboards) in other words empty! The performance levels we expect from the manuals were reasonable expectations in 1940.
Cheers
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Is Transport letting them put passengers on these relics or is it strictly freight? Seems like every time there's an engine failure they can't maintain altitude. Unless there's a lot of engine failures we don't hear of.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Victory wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am Is Transport letting them put passengers on these relics or is it strictly freight? Seems like every time there's an engine failure they can't maintain altitude. Unless there's a lot of engine failures we don't hear of.
Great question. Is there some sort of exemption to the single engine climb gradient reg due to their certification date? Grandfathered in?

If not, are there any provisions anywhere to ensure ancient aircraft are getting anywhere close to published performance figures? I'd be curious to see how even some old, high-cycle Dash's and 1900's do after being beat around northern strips for the last 20 years...

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm The DC3 is an old beast. Some fly better than others. I've brought back more than a couple on the far side of gross after one went south. More memorable were the three I couldn't fly home. Two I was able to constantly descend onto strips.....but not the ones I wanted to land at. Neither would stay in the air. The third had about 1500 pounds on board (2 14 foot aluminium boats and 2 15 hp outboards) in other words empty! The performance levels we expect from the manuals were reasonable expectations in 1940.
Cheers
Illya
What, this time there will be no making baseless assumptions about the actions and decisions of the crew and how foolish they were? No publicly excoriating the pilots?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I think they ran out of fuel, first one quit, then shortly after the other.
Instead of declaring a fuel leak, the used the ass covering excuse, the old plane just couldn’t maintain altitude on one.
Of course, this is all in jest because I have no idea what happened

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

GoinVertical wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 am
Victory wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am Is Transport letting them put passengers on these relics or is it strictly freight? Seems like every time there's an engine failure they can't maintain altitude. Unless there's a lot of engine failures we don't hear of.
Great question. Is there some sort of exemption to the single engine climb gradient reg due to their certification date? Grandfathered in?

If not, are there any provisions anywhere to ensure ancient aircraft are getting anywhere close to published performance figures? I'd be curious to see how even some old, high-cycle Dash's and 1900's do after being beat around northern strips for the last 20 years...
It's probably less of an issue for turbine powered aircraft since the engines are flat rated and have torque gauges. The props could be a different story. I've seen some 748 props that look like steak knives.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:48 pmAt the density altitude Yellowknife would be this time of year a properly loaded properly maintained and properly flown DC3 should be able to return to the airport.
Given Buffalo’s history, I’d wager at least 2 of those weren’t done “properly”.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

phillyfan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:19 pm The shame is that idiot, armchair pilots use the reporting of idiot, media sources to formulate their idiotic conclusions.
This will no doubt get the Avcanada mouthpieces horned up.

Amen!

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Do we know who the pilots are?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Sum Ting Wong, and Ho Lee Fuk?

Does it really matter? They’re alive, and will live to fly another day..
Say it comes out now that it was John Smith, and Fred Jones, and the narrative is that ‘they f@cked up, and wrecked a plane’ - a label that would stick with you for the rest of your career - and then later the report shows that they did the best they could with a mechanical fault. No-one would give them credit for that... as the saying goes, have sex with a thousand women, but suck...etc...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

North Shore wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:30 am Sum Ting Wong, and Ho Lee Fuk?
:lol:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”