Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Buffalo DC-3 Hay River

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?
Happy everyone is okay.
Cheers
Illya
---------- ADS -----------

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?

And I'll buy the drinks.

Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

Glad the crew is ok. Sad to hear about JKM... She was a grand lady, and a pleasure to fly.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 pm mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?
Happy everyone is okay.
Cheers
Illya
C.W.E. wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm And I'll buy the drinks.
Sounds good. What time do I need to get you two adorable old codgers back to the seniors home and how many glasses of prune juice before I should cut you off? While you're gumming your cream of wheat and buying me drinks you can share your thoughts on what happened to cause this airplane to not maintain altitude on one engine and how badly the crew should be dragged through the mud. I have some guesses, but I've never flown a DC3. As always, I look forward to your analysis. I hope it's as spot on as your Tindi conclusion.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

shimmydampner wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:27 pm
Illya Kuryakin wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 pm mbav8r and shimmy......dinner for two at the KEG says you don’t have DC3 on your tickets.
Nothing to ad?
Happy everyone is okay.
Cheers
Illya
C.W.E. wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm And I'll buy the drinks.
Sounds good. What time do I need to get you two adorable old codgers back to the seniors home and how many glasses of prune juice before I should cut you off? While you're gumming your cream of wheat and buying me drinks you can share your thoughts on what happened to cause this airplane to not maintain altitude on one engine and how badly the crew should be dragged through the mud. I have some guesses, but I've never flown a DC3. As always, I look forward to your analysis. I hope it's as spot on as your Tindi conclusion.
Already gave you my take on the DC3 affair....of course, you’d have to be at least semi literate to read it.
Instead of taking shots at me, share some of your grade 6 wisdom. You really think a fuel leak caused two simultaneous PT6 failures? And you’re obviously not bright enough to see the folly in departing with a failed HSI? Obviously into IMC?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm Already gave you my take on the DC3 affair....of course, you’d have to be at least semi literate to read it.
Instead of taking shots at me, share some of your grade 6 wisdom. You really think a fuel leak caused two simultaneous PT6 failures? And you’re obviously not bright enough to see the folly in departing with a failed HSI? Obviously into IMC?
I'd be more concerned about a failed ADI actually, but I know what you mean, and of course can see the folly therein. I never claimed anything to the contrary. But in that particular case that was not what you were absolutely certain was the cause. So certain you cast a fair bit of aspersion on the crew and the company, even attributing a fatal accident to them that was not theirs.
It begs the question: why not give us such a bold prediction this time? You've told us about your past experiences and they sound very exciting no doubt. But why no bold statements on this one? For once, I'd be interested to hear you act as judge, jury and executioner like usual.
And don't be so sensitive Doc; you take shots at people all the time. It's all in good fun. Don't get your diaper in a twist.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

shimmydampner wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:07 pm
Illya Kuryakin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm Already gave you my take on the DC3 affair....of course, you’d have to be at least semi literate to read it.
I'd be more concerned about a failed ADI actually, but I know what you mean, and of course can see the folly therein. I never claimed anything to the contrary. But in that particular case that was not what you were absolutely certain was the cause. So certain you cast a fair bit of aspersion on the crew and the company, even attributing a fatal accident to them that was not theirs.
It begs the question: why not give us such a bold prediction this time? You've told us about your past experiences and they sound very exciting no doubt. But why no bold statements on this one? For once, I'd be interested to hear you act as judge, jury and executioner like usual.
And don't be so sensitive Doc; you take shots at people all the time. It's all in good fun. Don't get your diaper in a twist.
I’m concerned you know about my diaper! I’ve flown several King Airs. They’re all pretty much a known quantity. Departing into IMC with a failed ADI was really stupid, and it killed them.
King Airs don’t get fuel leaks that croak both engines at the same time. Can’t happen. Unless you’re living on another planet, the only way is to run them dry. Which these turkeys did. That operation should have it’s butt sued off. It my yet.
Some DC3’s fly better than others. Maybe this one was not a good one. I’m tossing these guys the benefit of the doubt.....
Who is this Doc guy? I hear tell he’s a legend.
Cheers
Illya

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Some DC3’s fly better than others. Maybe this one was not a good one.
That is true.

The R4D-8 had far better single engine performance.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 pm
I’m concerned you know about my diaper! I’ve flown several King Airs. They’re all pretty much a known quantity. Departing into IMC with a failed ADI was really stupid, and it killed them.
King Airs don’t get fuel leaks that croak both engines at the same time. Can’t happen. Unless you’re living on another planet, the only way is to run them dry. Which these turkeys did. That operation should have it’s butt sued off. It my yet.
Some DC3’s fly better than others. Maybe this one was not a good one. I’m tossing these guys the benefit of the doubt.....
Who is this Doc guy? I hear tell he’s a legend.
Cheers
Illya
Can you really blame the operator if the pilots are fully trained well above the minimum TC standard ie FFS in a G1000 equipped aircraft, legally qualified, CARs requirements are met, W&B is within limits, resources available at departure point and enroute and the checklists/SOP's properly identify and address the means to prevent the issue multiple times?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Delete

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

The hammer
Ya lost me. You quoted lots.....who has G1000? Certainly not the DC3? The 200? Perhaps. But a G1000 can't give you gas that's not in the tanks.
Illya

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Diaper in a twist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Adiabatic »

Last time I looked, at takeoff, #1 engine failed, windmilling, gear down with full power on #2, climb rate was 50fpm at gross weight at ISA. #1 feathered and gear up was 250fpm with same weight and ISA. That was a while ago though. Charts in the aircraft manual. It’s not much, but gets you climbing.
JKM was the lightest of the fleet. No janitorial. Wood floors. Fun times in it. Had a unique smell to it.
Adiabatic

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Adiabatic wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:59 pm Last time I looked, at takeoff, #1 engine failed, windmilling, gear down with full power on #2, climb rate was 50fpm at gross weight at ISA. #1 feathered and gear up was 250fpm with same weight and ISA. That was a while ago though. Charts in the aircraft manual. It’s not much, but gets you climbing.
JKM was the lightest of the fleet. No janitorial. Wood floors. Fun times in it. Had a unique smell to it.
Adiabatic
All the charts and numbers refer to a new aircraft flown by test pilots. In 1940.
Illya

Adiabatic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Adiabatic »

I can’t remember what it said in that revised manual from the 80s, but often wondered if it was based on the old 100/130 avgas as well. Was it copy and paste charts from the old manuals? I think I have some old random military DC-3 /C-47 manual somewhere.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Given that Buffalo has been unable twice now to keep a DC-3 airborne after an engine failure, should they be shut down or is it the DC-3 that needs to be retired?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Given that Buffalo has been unable twice now to keep a DC-3 airborne after an engine failure, should they be shut down or is it the DC-3 that needs to be retired?
What is your opinion?

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Donald wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:34 pm Given that Buffalo has been unable twice now to keep a DC-3 airborne after an engine failure, should they be shut down or is it the DC-3 that needs to be retired?
Interesting question Donald. The DC3 may well have run it's course. Buffalo is a bit stuck in the past as well. Perhaps some twenty first century operating style and a few less round engines. I'm not going to call the mix a time bomb......lets just say, I'm not surprised when stuff goes south.
Illya

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd say the fleet needs some basic flight testing to ensure required performance can be reasonably expected. Do it at gross weight with a TC inspector on board so nothing is being fudged.

Just some basic tests to ensure 1st and 2nd segment climb performance is in the right ballpark. If it can't maintain MOCA from a failure in cruise, something is wrong.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Donald wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:34 pm Given that Buffalo has been unable twice now to keep a DC-3 airborne after an engine failure, should they be shut down or is it the DC-3 that needs to be retired?
At very least limit it to cargo only if it's not that way already. The pilots hopefully know what risk they are taking. Innocent passengers would not. Probably the whole company should be cargo only since even their turbine machine went skidding down the runway. So not all there accidents are power plant related.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”