Leaving a good paying secure job for aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Leaving a good paying secure job for aviation

Post by complexintentions »

A lot of it is just attitude and outlook.

The mindset of "hanging on for the pension" makes my skin crawl, and why I don't think I could ever go into a job where that was my overriding priority. Unfortunately that type of thinking exists in aviation too, you see it in the heavily unionized airlines where people are fearful of losing what they see as their golden goose and so huddle on miserably in some job they don't really enjoy anymore. How sad.

I applaud your courage to at least examine making a change, which is more than most people do.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

complexintentions wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:33 am A lot of it is just attitude and outlook.

The mindset of "hanging on for the pension" makes my skin crawl, and why I don't think I could ever go into a job where that was my overriding priority. Unfortunately that type of thinking exists in aviation too, you see it in the heavily unionized airlines where people are fearful of losing what they see as their golden goose and so huddle on miserably in some job they don't really enjoy anymore. How sad.

I applaud your courage to at least examine making a change, which is more than most people do.
Well when you start getting older a pension starts to become more of a priority in life, sitting down and crunching the numbers and realizing that one will have to work for a hell of alot longer than you think, and your house won't be paid off till you're 80. Now that will make your skin crawl.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

jakeandelwood wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:37 am
complexintentions wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:33 am A lot of it is just attitude and outlook.

Well when you start getting older a pension starts to become more of a priority in life, sitting down and crunching the numbers and realizing that one will have to work for a hell of alot longer than you think, and your house won't be paid off till you're 80. Now that will make your skin crawl.
Pretty much bang on. Quite normal to pursue life and forget about the future, the future however has the nasty habit of catching up with everybody. No exceptions.
Been there done that got the t shirt blah blah.....

Difficult choice for the OP and I can emphathize. Because I just so happened to be on both sides.

So whaddya do? Get money forever at the cost of (maybe, but not neccesarily) losing your soul, or take your chances in the real world. HOWEVER, opportunities for success are good, but not guaranteed.

For those of you who don't have government experience, it ain't always a pretty place. Actually, it is rarely a pretty place, except for a chosen few.

Get to the top or fall flat on your face in the journey of life. I have seen bums who did squat get to the top, and I have seen good people trashed in this particular industry.

As Bill Gates said to a bunch of university graduates, lesson number one is that life is not fair.

Cheers.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Oh make no mistake I'm a big fan of wealth, financial security, pensions, and the like. Wasn't counselling to leave the government teat lightly, as distasteful as it may be to live your life just surviving for your retirement. Ugh.

But two points:

- leaving a soul-crushing government job for a flying career won't necessarily make one happy, just look at some of the miserable folk on this site;
- wealth/financial security and aviation are not mutually exclusive.

The problem is most of the people who offer advice against flying are those who never achieved the latter, because they do tend to be rarer than those who crashed and burned (metaphorically). Canada is generally speaking, extremely conservative and holds security (even when its only perceived and not real) sacred, above success. Nothing wrong with that, just that it has to be considered when weighing advice.

As I said, most people won't even consider making changes that could improve their situation.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

complexintentions wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:01 pm
Canada is generally speaking, extremely conservative and holds security (even when its only perceived and not real) sacred, above success.
Absolutely true.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Well.... everything is perceived. Even success. One person’s success is another person’s failure.

Also, security in one form or another is usually required for success. Look at Pablo Escobar. One of the richest men alive to dead in a matter of years. Nobody wants to be temporarily successful. So whether security is in the form of a government job that might be privatized or a high net worth that might suffer volatile markets or a gold digging spouse, we still pursue it. You’ll notice that most people in high positions are chess players rather than gamblers.

One ultimately has to ask what will make you happy...
if anything? For some, working a dull but secure job and using that to do what they enjoy is the route to happiness. For others, doing the job they dreamed of with a few personal sacrifices is the route to happiness. Some aren’t happy no matter what. Life is always what you make of it.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

raccooncptn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by raccooncptn »

Go for a flying job.

You obviously have the flying bug, we all do, even the ones on AvCanada bitching about everything do.

Sure you'll be giving up a job with pay and stability to work for Companies that are teetering on success, with crap margins and high risk. Some days will be the best experience of your life, some will be 14 hours of boredom or exhaustion. But no office job compares to the satisfaction of lining up your plane, taking one last sip of coffee then push the throttles forward, feel 5000Hp come to life and barrel you down the runway. You rotate into 15 degrees, poke through the cloud layer and see the sun rising in the East. Been doing this job for 20 years and I still love that. Aviation has given me some financial and love life woes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Guessing you're sitting at a desk looking out a window at the airplanes flying above you and feel a little jealousy or envy. Well, do it. You won't regret it.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

a7aka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:09 pm Hello all,

I did my flight training about 5 years ago but a lot of things didn't work out so had to put it off. I'm always thinking about getting back into aviation to the point that it's bothering me every day, the goal would be the airlines obviously (i.e Sunwing, Transat, etc.) The dilemma is now I have a very well paying, secure government job with a great pension and benefits. Would it be worth it for me to now leave my current career to pursue aviation again, even with the low starting salaries and job prospects (I hear its very good now) ?, I know that the question I'm asking probably has an obvious answer, but I need some good advice or closure and move on and keep it as a hobby.

Also, are airlines still requiring degrees?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

Currently, have:

304 Total time / CPL-IFR
What about doing both for a while. Get your instructor rating and teach part time. Get to 500- 1000 hours and see what doors open.
I have to ask, how old are you and are you married, kids, etc. The more financial responsibilities you have the harder it will be to make the plunge. Its doable though for sure. There hasn't been a time this good in decades.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
a7aka
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by a7aka »

KAG wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:10 am
a7aka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:09 pm Hello all,

I did my flight training about 5 years ago but a lot of things didn't work out so had to put it off. I'm always thinking about getting back into aviation to the point that it's bothering me every day, the goal would be the airlines obviously (i.e Sunwing, Transat, etc.) The dilemma is now I have a very well paying, secure government job with a great pension and benefits. Would it be worth it for me to now leave my current career to pursue aviation again, even with the low starting salaries and job prospects (I hear its very good now) ?, I know that the question I'm asking probably has an obvious answer, but I need some good advice or closure and move on and keep it as a hobby.

Also, are airlines still requiring degrees?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated, Thanks!

Currently, have:

304 Total time / CPL-IFR
What about doing both for a while. Get your instructor rating and teach part time. Get to 500- 1000 hours and see what doors open.
I have to ask, how old are you and are you married, kids, etc. The more financial responsibilities you have the harder it will be to make the plunge. Its doable though for sure. There hasn't been a time this good in decades.

Good Point I was thinking of starting it off part-time, then seeing what doors open. I'm 24 and single at the current moment, still gotta complete my Multi and Multi IFR

a7aka
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by a7aka »

Thank You All for the replies and advice it is much appreciated !!

Return to “General Comments”