Northstar / Cargo North

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Northstar / Cargo North

Post by mbav8r »

MrAviator19 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:02 am [quote=goingnowherefast post_id=<a href="tel:1076647">1076647</a> time=<a href="tel:1556623552">1556623552</a> user_id=40868]
The industry norm for YPL is rotations from YQT. I understand Basler captains get confirmed travel anywhere in Canada when off rotation. This discussion is about NSA FOs getting particularly screwed.
As far as I know, only the Basler Captains (and maybe ATR?) have that luxury. What is the company trying to say about other pilots? Talk about discrimination in the workplace. But that's just my opinion, perhaps because I've seen companies that don't screw you over like this! :o

MrA
[/quote]
Once again, nobody is being screwed, they are essentially screwing themselves by accepting the conditions if they could do better elsewhere.
The companies that do offer paid travel/accommodation don't do it because they're having trouble filling up the positions. It's because they recognize the work-life balance that appeals to potential employees and keeps them in the company for some time once hired.
This is one of the funniest statements I’ve ever read on avcanada, if you think any airline in Canada gives one iota of a damn about your work life balance, well what can I say, hope you don’t get a random drug test in your future:) if a company is giving you anything in the way of compensation, whether it’s your salary or travel paid, it’s because they feel they have too, not because they want to. Maybe these particular companies have realized it’s cheaper to keep them around longer, but not a chance in hell it’s because they care about your work life balance.
---------- ADS -----------

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

mbav8r wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am This is one of the funniest statements I’ve ever read on avcanada, if you think any airline in Canada gives one iota of a damn about your work life balance, well what can I say, hope you don’t get a random drug test in your future:) if a company is giving you anything in the way of compensation, whether it’s your salary or travel paid, it’s because they feel they have too, not because they want to. Maybe these particular companies have realized it’s cheaper to keep them around longer, but not a chance in hell it’s because they care about your work life balance.
I don't need to know if they care about my work-life balance or not. A rotational schedule with paid travel/accommodation is the best way any company can pretend to tell me that they "care" about my work-life balance. But if living in a crap town like CYPL on your time off or spending out of your own pocket to commute is your thing, hey all power to you.

Don't worry about my "random future drug test", I'll do just fine. :)

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Are they getting out of the fuel transport business? I see they are selling their aircraft fuel tanks.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Doubtful

I guess I should write something here.
ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Do NS have any flight benefits with other airlines? So that if you're on rotation on the PC-12 in YQT you could get standby tickets.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Last edited by twa22 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

and I guess no crew housing in YQT?

spinnindeep
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by spinnindeep »

MrAviator19 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 pm
spinnindeep wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 am the whole company isn't like that, PC-12 guys are assigned in Thunder bay, so it's not that bad to get home.
Of course it is! Imagine paying ~$400-500 on your flight tickets every 2 weeks for your time off on top of the rent/expenses to live in CYQT or CYXL. NSA is inarguably one of the worst paying jobs out there!

MrA
Idk…paying $400 for rent and $400 on flight tickets back to your parents house is a lot cheaper than rent anywhere you’d call “home,” which I assume is a city or southern Ontario lol. I’d take 60k and lower costs of living over making 40k at Porter in the city. But I guess that’s just me lol.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: North Star Air

Post by pild04 »

What is the current pay and hours flown across the fleet for a FO? Do they offer crew housing and commute options to base?

Thank you!

Return to “Employment Forum”