2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Cavalier44
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Cavalier44 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 pm

joyful wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 am
cavalier 44 : What kind of talk during the phone call ?

Thanks
Pretty quick and straightforward. Just setting up an interview date. No preliminary HR-type questions over the phone.
---------- ADS -----------
  

sky_high
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:20 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by sky_high » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:10 am

Good Afternoon,

I have also received a call. I would also love a PM from any Sunwing Pilots that have some pointers for the interview process. Thanks!!!
---------- ADS -----------
  

CanadaPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by CanadaPilot » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:55 pm

sky_high wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:10 am
Good Afternoon,

I have also received a call. I would also love a PM from any Sunwing Pilots that have some pointers for the interview process. Thanks!!!
@sky_high what day did you hear from them? Also, what kind of experience do you have? Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Full Deflection
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Full Deflection » Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Well apparently many well qualified 737 pilots have not been short-listed for interview which is puzzling.
The chirpy add promising monthly classes for the foreseeable future has also been taken down, whether the MAX Kamikaze software fault and delay is to blame remains to be seen... Or an economic slow-down due to government taxes?

I'd love to know what experience & background the short-listed candidates have? Do tell us...
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
daedalusx
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by daedalusx » Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Full Deflection wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm
Well apparently many well qualified 737 pilots have not been short-listed for interview which is puzzling.
The chirpy add promising monthly classes for the foreseeable future has also been taken down, whether the MAX Kamikaze software fault and delay is to blame remains to be seen... Or an economic slow-down due to government taxes?

I'd love to know what experience & background the short-listed candidates have? Do tell us...
Besides cadets, every one hired at SWG that I know had a few of these :
- 4000+ hrs
- 1000+ 705 Capt time
- 1000+ Transport Jet experience
- 705 LTC, CRM, Training experience
- Internal ref (big one)
- STEM Degree
- Bilingual

As far as I'm concerned, it is just as competitive process as the AC OTS hiring... Probably even more since they're looking for candidates who can be fast tracked to left seat which requires 5000+hrs, 2000 on jets over 100 000 mtow, etc (with a few exceptions of course)
Maybe they don't want washed up Swoop 737 typed guy who can't write a decent cover letter ?
Just because you meet the requirements doesn't guarantee you a job. How many OTS has AC hired at 1500 hours except that legendary twotter guy?
Reminds me of the story about a laid off Canjet guy who showed up at an interview (I think it was for a transat 737 job) with jeans and a wifebeater because he was current on the 737 he expected to be given a job... :bear:
---------- ADS -----------
  
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by DHC-1 Jockey » Wed May 01, 2019 6:26 pm

daedalusx wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm
Besides cadets, every one hired at SWG that I know had a few of these :
- 4000+ hrs
- 1000+ 705 Capt time
- 1000+ Transport Jet experience
- 705 LTC, CRM, Training experience
- Internal ref (big one)
- STEM Degree
- Bilingual
Daedalusx is right, and the internal reference really is a huge factor. In my class (Hired 2017), there was a C.P. at a 704, 2 705 ACP "A's," a guy from the Air Force, 3 other 705 Capt's, and 2 705 F/O's.

All are great guys and I think all had internal references. Sunwing (and any 705 airline for that matter) can teach how to fly the plane, but a big plus is the personality which you can't teach. I think that's why in my year and a half here so far, there's not one person I've flown with that I wouldn't want to fly with again.
---------- ADS -----------
  

BBQ Chips
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by BBQ Chips » Wed May 01, 2019 8:53 pm

I was hired at SWG 5 years ago with 3600 hours, no jet, no 705, no degree and not bilingual. If you have a good attitude and 1 or 2 solid references you stand a good shot at getting on. Many of my friends with similar experience have gotten on since.
Cheers
---------- ADS -----------
  

ant_321
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by ant_321 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:59 am

daedalusx wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm
Full Deflection wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm
Well apparently many well qualified 737 pilots have not been short-listed for interview which is puzzling.
The chirpy add promising monthly classes for the foreseeable future has also been taken down, whether the MAX Kamikaze software fault and delay is to blame remains to be seen... Or an economic slow-down due to government taxes?

I'd love to know what experience & background the short-listed candidates have? Do tell us...
Besides cadets, every one hired at SWG that I know had a few of these :
- 4000+ hrs
- 1000+ 705 Capt time
- 1000+ Transport Jet experience
- 705 LTC, CRM, Training experience
- Internal ref (big one)
- STEM Degree
- Bilingual

As far as I'm concerned, it is just as competitive process as the AC OTS hiring... Probably even more since they're looking for candidates who can be fast tracked to left seat which requires 5000+hrs, 2000 on jets over 100 000 mtow, etc (with a few exceptions of course)
Maybe they don't want washed up Swoop 737 typed guy who can't write a decent cover letter ?
Just because you meet the requirements doesn't guarantee you a job. How many OTS has AC hired at 1500 hours except that legendary twotter guy?
Reminds me of the story about a laid off Canjet guy who showed up at an interview (I think it was for a transat 737 job) with jeans and a wifebeater because he was current on the 737 he expected to be given a job... :bear:
The only one of those things I had when I was hired was an internal reference. My friend was recently hired with about 3000 hours and a Q FO. But I will agree that many people who have asked me about SWG greatly underestimate the quality of applicants and the competitiveness for the job.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Negativefeather
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Negativefeather » Thu May 02, 2019 6:29 am

Got a call for this round, only a 703 Captain. Forced to turn down the interview offer as things have greatly changed for me since I applied and didn’t want to waist anymore of their time. So who knows how I would have faired in the hiring process as a 703 guy.
---------- ADS -----------
  

anchovy
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by anchovy » Thu May 02, 2019 8:42 pm

On the hiring note...

Does anybody know how long it takes them to even look at a resume or how to interpret resume status?

Just wondering... 3 weeks applied and it doesn't even look like they opened my file. The message page is on the same default message as day one with an empty link to check for status.

I wouldn't even bother asking since I know how the industry works but there seems to be movement and I suspect that they are checking regularly.

Just curious
---------- ADS -----------
  

Bronco Billy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Bronco Billy » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I got invited for an interview but unfortunately I wasnt able to make it work with my work schedule (2 weeks On). Anyone knows if they plan on doing other rounds of interviews in the next few months?

Thanks!

Bronco
---------- ADS -----------
  

skyhighh
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by skyhighh » Fri May 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Went on the Sunwing career page: https://jobs.jobvite.com/careers/sunwing/jobs?error=404
Couldn't find any posting for First Officers. I guess I am too late :cry:
---------- ADS -----------
  

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by mollok » Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Still open on pilotcareercenter.com

https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot ... g-Airlines
---------- ADS -----------
  

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Roadrunnersmother » Sun May 12, 2019 12:36 pm

DHC-1 Jockey wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:26 pm
daedalusx wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 pm
Besides cadets, every one hired at SWG that I know had a few of these :
- 4000+ hrs
- 1000+ 705 Capt time
- 1000+ Transport Jet experience
- 705 LTC, CRM, Training experience
- Internal ref (big one)
- STEM Degree
- Bilingual
Daedalusx is right, and the internal reference really is a huge factor. In my class (Hired 2017), there was a C.P. at a 704, 2 705 ACP "A's," a guy from the Air Force, 3 other 705 Capt's, and 2 705 F/O's.

All are great guys and I think all had internal references. Sunwing (and any 705 airline for that matter) can teach how to fly the plane, but a big plus is the personality which you can't teach. I think that's why in my year and a half here so far, there's not one person I've flown with that I wouldn't want to fly with again.
How can one have internal reference if one doesn't work there?
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL410AV8R
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by FL410AV8R » Sun May 12, 2019 1:14 pm

[/quote]

How can one have internal reference if one doesn't work there?
[/quote]

From friends or acquaintances who do.

Was that a skill testing question??
---------- ADS -----------
  

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Roadrunnersmother » Sun May 12, 2019 1:17 pm

FL410AV8R wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:14 pm
How can one have internal reference if one doesn't work there?
[/quote]

From friends or acquaintances who do.

Was that a skill testing question??
[/quote]

I don't have any there.
---------- ADS -----------
  

skyhighh
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by skyhighh » Sun May 12, 2019 1:47 pm

mollok wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 pm
Still open on pilotcareercenter.com

https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot ... g-Airlines
Have you clicked on the links displayed on pilotcareercentre? When I do it shows nothing for pilots.
---------- ADS -----------
  

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by mollok » Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 pm

My bad, you're right, nothing below the link😥
---------- ADS -----------
  

joyful
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by joyful » Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm

So anyone here know if the pool on the June ground school is completed?
---------- ADS -----------
  

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by bythenumbers » Mon May 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Interviews wrap up this week iirc. I would think offers have to go out by the end of next week for a June gs :?:
---------- ADS -----------
  

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:09 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by munzil » Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Good luck to all who interviewed. Sunwing is truely a gem of Canadian Aviation. With the new type coming on line soon, things are certainly going to get interesting.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Aya
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 11:16 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Aya » Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Heard june and july Gs are cancelled.
Anyone can confirm it?
---------- ADS -----------
  
:smt040

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by bythenumbers » Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm

munzil wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm
Good luck to all who interviewed. Sunwing is truely a gem of Canadian Aviation. With the new type coming on line soon, things are certainly going to get interesting.
New type?
---------- ADS -----------
  

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 am

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by mollok » Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 am

Aya wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 pm
Heard june and july Gs are cancelled.
Anyone can confirm it?
June GS is cancelled but not july for the moment
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yycjetdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Yycjetdriver » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 am

munzil wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:58 pm
Good luck to all who interviewed. Sunwing is truely a gem of Canadian Aviation. With the new type coming on line soon, things are certainly going to get interesting.
A gem??? Seriously? Sunwing isn’t very far removed from the days of trying to play the foreign worker system at every corner in order to avoid hiring Canadians. Instead filling their flight decks with cheaper, drunk Eastern Europeans.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Sunwing”