Working at Air Canada if you don't drink

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Working at Air Canada if you don't drink

Post by Dry Guy »

I don't drink alcohol for health reasons and was wondering if this would be a major hindrance in having a normal experience at Air Canada. I'm thinking about layovers where going for drinks with the Captain might be considered an unspoken rule. I have no problem saying no when offered alcohol but I'm concerned I'd be that guy everyone hates to fly with because I'm so boring on layovers :lol: I can imagine them rolling their eyes when I walk into the flight planning office. Does anyone here not drink? Have you found ways to minimize the impact on the social aspects of being an airline pilot?
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Working at Air Canada if you don't drink

Post by ZBBYLW »

Some guys go and get pissed on long layovers and others excercise and head out for a run or hike in the AM the next morning not feeling like a pile of piss and some others keep to themselves.

While I do drink socially, often I am more keen to wake up early and get some fresh air. Ive never felt bad about that.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

Lots of guys drink, lots of guys don’t. I personally hardly ever drink on layover anymore, I’ve never had anyone care about what my plans were. It’s a non issue.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Ill second the non-issue statement. Sometimes I go out, sometimes I don’t. Either way, I don't drink and I’ve never felt judged or belittled for it. To be honest, more times than not I get complimented for not drinking.

Now, in the 703/704 world it was a completely different story...

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Flying domestically and being at a hotel up to 12 nights a month with short layovers (12 hours), I hardly ever had more than a few beers month.

International flying, generally I have a few beers every layover as you are generally in an exotic location and after traversing half way around the world, you probably deserve one! Good to “debrief” with the crew

I think most people just want to have a good guy to operate with in the cockpit. Beers are just a bonus.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

flight planning room ?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Lots of guys dont drink. 99% of the time if I have a drink its over a meal and the non-drinkers still need to eat so they are still involved in the social aspect.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

Dry Guy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:21 pm I don't drink alcohol for health reasons and was wondering if this would be a major hindrance in having a normal experience at Air Canada. I'm thinking about layovers where going for drinks with the Captain might be considered an unspoken rule. I have no problem saying no when offered alcohol but I'm concerned I'd be that guy everyone hates to fly with because I'm so boring on layovers :lol: I can imagine them rolling their eyes when I walk into the flight planning office. Does anyone here not drink? Have you found ways to minimize the impact on the social aspects of being an airline pilot?
Have the balls to be yourself and say "I don't drink".

Be yourself around people. You don't need to be a drinker to get along with your crew.

If you're worried about crew members rolling their eyes at you because you don't drink, don't enter this profession. One day you may need to question a Captain's decision in the aircraft.

I don't drink either bud nor do I smoke. PLenty of people I've met are light on the booze as well.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's a non-issue. From both sides of it.

I've gone out with senior Captains overseas that don't drink, but like to buy rounds for the crew after a long flight. I've gone out as a Captain with F/Os that don't care for a beer, all the cheaper for me, we can still grab dinner or go check stuff out on a longer layover.

Some guys prefer to keep to themselves, I've ditched crews because I had my own plans for a layover, I've been ditched... All is good... Just be good to work with.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Just tell whoever is offering you a drink that youre a friend of Bill W's, thatll put an end to it.

Nedkelly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nedkelly »

Hi.
While I respect the question and your reasoning.
I think it is rather juvenile.
Hang out or don’t
Try to fit in , in your own way.
Everyone respects that.
Anything less is on you.
Good luck.

Nedkelly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nedkelly »

Hi.
While I respect the question and your reasoning.
I think it is rather juvenile.
Hang out or don’t
Try to fit in , in your own way.
Everyone respects that.
Anything less is on you.
Good luck.

Return to “Air Canada”