The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by tallyho »

Between the Max and potential AT buyout does anyone see any hiring slowdown?
---------- ADS -----------

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

tallyho wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 am Between the Max and potential AT buyout does anyone see any hiring slowdown?

Till all the details are ironed out its business as usual with regards to hiring.

Expect more express being hired the next few gs

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

Thanks for the updates. I assume June 3 is the next course, and calls have already gone out for that?

Again, thanks for your insight.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

calls have been / are going out this week for the June 10th class.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Aside from June 10th there will be a July 22nd and August 12th for the summer gs so far.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Nobody should defer any offer. It's imperative that your hire date is before the close of any deal with Transat.

condor1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by condor1 »

iflyroads wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 am Aside from June 10th there will be a July 22nd and August 12th for the summer gs so far.
So, I'm guessing emails for those will be going out the first and last week of July respectively.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

You’ll get a phone call from HR when you get a job offer. Email means better luck next time.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

So reading between the lines,with the next couple courses being mostly Express, and two GS’s slotted after June 10 (July and Aug), it could be potentially closer to the beginning of fall for some of us?

Hunker down fellas! :)

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

condor1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:47 pm
iflyroads wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 am Aside from June 10th there will be a July 22nd and August 12th for the summer gs so far.
So, I'm guessing emails for those will be going out the first and last week of July respectively.
It will be a phone call, and right now we're giving offers as early as 4 weeks away and as late at 2.5 to 3 weeks for Gs dates.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Iflyroads, thanks for all the updates, very helpful.

You posted last month saying there would be a GS every 2 weeks during this summer, now you’re saying it’s more like once a month until August. Is it fair to say hiring will be slowing right down until after the integration of Transat pilots if this deal goes through? Reading between the lines I’m guessing hiring won’t be at a 2 week cycle until the new year.

Am I off base or kinda close?

Thanks again for all the info.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Transition9er2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:10 am Iflyroads, thanks for all the updates, very helpful.

You posted last month saying there would be a GS every 2 weeks during this summer, now you’re saying it’s more like once a month until August. Is it fair to say hiring will be slowing right down until after the integration of Transat pilots if this deal goes through? Reading between the lines I’m guessing hiring won’t be at a 2 week cycle until the new year.

Am I off base or kinda close?

Thanks again for all the info.
Once every 2 weeks was the plan a few months ago. The dates I posted are confirmed gs dates. Could have more gs in the summer or that could be it.

We don't expect the Transat deal to be fully implemented for another 8 months to a year if it goes through.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Class of 27 started this part Monday.

Positions being offered

87rp
777rp
Emb

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

So...why does Air Canada tell every interview candidate they will have a decision in 4-6 weeks? They never tell anyone within this time frame. Its usually more like 3 months from people I know. I realize a few weeks over a 30 year career isn't a big deal, but why not just be honest instead of raising hope. People have a lot riding on it and its important to the individuals. Its pretty disrespectful. I know this will come across as a whiny sad little rant but it bugs me and I already feel better....... is it just me?

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Wasn't all that long ago guys were waiting in the pool for 2+ years! A couple of months is nothing.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

tallyho wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:18 am So...why does Air Canada tell every interview candidate they will have a decision in 4-6 weeks? They never tell anyone within this time frame. Its usually more like 3 months from people I know. I realize a few weeks over a 30 year career isn't a big deal, but why not just be honest instead of raising hope. People have a lot riding on it and its important to the individuals. Its pretty disrespectful. I know this will come across as a whiny sad little rant but it bugs me and I already feel better....... is it just me?
Two months seems to be the norm right now. At least for Express applications and yes I realize this is the OTS thread. I imagine things might get a little slow on the OTS side of things. Last class only had something like 6 of 27 OTS. The rest were Jazz. And of those OTS they were all quite experienced. Military, Etihad, WJA...

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

tallyho wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:18 am So...why does Air Canada tell every interview candidate they will have a decision in 4-6 weeks? They never tell anyone within this time frame. Its usually more like 3 months from people I know. I realize a few weeks over a 30 year career isn't a big deal, but why not just be honest instead of raising hope. People have a lot riding on it and its important to the individuals. Its pretty disrespectful. I know this will come across as a whiny sad little rant but it bugs me and I already feel better....... is it just me?
I think the point is why do they give any time frame at all? Just say we will call whenever, you know us, that’s how we roll, we AC , you know you want this! Why say 4 weeks, 2 days or whatever, is it something learnt in HR college, tell them one thing but do another, make them boys sweat it out a bit, keep them guessing. Who knows. It’s like something you do to your kids, telling them you’ll be back at 8 so they clean up and don’t have a party, but you know you are coming back at midnight. 😂

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

kilocharliemike wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:21 pm
I think the point is why do they give any time frame at all? Just say we will call whenever, you know us, that’s how we roll, we AC , you know you want this! Why say 4 weeks, 2 days or whatever, is it something learnt in HR college, tell them one thing but do another, make them boys sweat it out a bit, keep them guessing. Who knows. It’s like something you do to your kids, telling them you’ll be back at 8 so they clean up and don’t have a party, but you know you are coming back at midnight. 😂
:lol: :lol: good one bro

YUL C-PAD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YUL C-PAD »

How long after reference check calls have people been getting a call for a course date?

My references were also told 2 courses in July and 2 in August now....FYI

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

YUL C-PAD wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:29 pm How long after reference check calls have people been getting a call for a course date?

My references were also told 2 courses in July and 2 in August now....FYI
3 days after the second one was contacted.

It seems like they are giving 2-3 weeks notice right now on average for class start dates. One class starts on the 10th so I would wager that same week calls should go out for the next one which will likely start 2-3 weeks later.

Return to “Air Canada”