DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: DOH merge.

Post by Victory »

Send the 330's to Mainline, NB's to Rouge. Sell the 310's. Pilot's, the application portal is over there.
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Dry Guy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:14 am
fish4life wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:10 am Wouldn’t the CIRB be involved most likely? Also whoever said AC doesn’t need the pilots at transat may want to rethink where they are going to find 600 pilots overnight
Well they are currently paying 500 pilots to sit at home and do nothing for months.
It's more like 250

Habslover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Habslover »

BOTL I don’t think so my friends, I tink it should be more along the line of where I sit on my current seniority list now, no?

Why should I go DOH when it’s only 8 yrs ago I was hired, when I sit at 48% seniority on my list? I won’t be 48% at AC if I go DOH. That not good for me.

I should merge at 48% seniority on AC list, no?

I should also get to hold my uh left seat tree turdy as well, no?

AC pilot seem very hostile today, no?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

My guess is that Ac will come up with a plan that creates little to no labour dispute. Anything that has to be negotiated between the unions will be a mess and I doubt AC wants that.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Before any seniority issues are dealt with, there will have to be a representation vote.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

No way Transat goes to the BOTL. If it was an Alberta pipeline, it probably would, but a Montreal Based company need not worry.

DOH is unlikely as AC didn’t even use DOH for its own list

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

As an AC'er, date of hire is very reasonable. Fences may be required for a specified period.

The Transat guys DID NOT ask for this, a merger will be forced.

They have mortgages, families and career aspirations just like every AC pilot does.

I disagree that newer hires at AC will be inconvenienced much. There has been unprecidented growth and upgrades are occurring in as little as two years. I would hardly call this a time of hardship for anyone at AC.

With the number of fins Transat will bring, swallowing 600 pilots will be easy. They will only constitute 12% of a merged body.

DP.

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Duke has an extremely valid point.

DOH with fences is the only rational way to go.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

flyer 1492 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:59 pm Before any seniority issues are dealt with, there will have to be a representation vote.
Before that occurs, there has to be a firm deal in place between AC and AT..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
John1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John1234 »

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve heard transat hiring extremely low time pilots. So they hit the lotto and slide ahead of everybody who put the time making penny’s at express? And actually flying throughout Canada before that? Your right the 23 yr old instructor deservers that spot over the ex transat skipper who just left to come to Ac, or the express captains who put in the time. That’s the difference between being a wide body cpt in your career. Potentially millions of dollars on the table. Couldn’t agree more.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John1234 »

Ohhh so they left regional, now they deserve to come back ahead of everybody that stuck it out.

I mean it’s aviation, makes perfect sense....

John1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John1234 »

Wrong, air canada fully intends on taking all 737maxs. It will take the travelling public all of a month to forget about it. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear the max is siltently renamed. The public will not know the difference.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I think it's complete garbage that they should get DOH or any advantage over an AC guy on property today. Seniority is FAR more important than status or pay for some. Especially with commuters - how will the pass travel be affected? Lifestyle with a block could turn into hell on reserve. Send the AT guys BOTL and top up their pay if you'd like, but like previously stated posts, it's morally wrong for them to bypass those who worked so hard and sacrificed so much to get where they are today at AC. With 600 numbers pushing you down, that's huge - almost 6 years worth of career setback! They got bought. Sucks for them but hey, the company they chose to work for got bought. Business is life. Like war, you get conquered. AT was conquered so how are they reaping the rewards in this transaction? (I know CR could care less and is a gain for AC as a company, but the workforce applies just as much)

John1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by John1234 »

Ahmen, id like to see the transat pay scale, see the difference that these guys and gals could be walking into. It makes no sense, everybody knew the risk being at transat. They chose that route. They should have to sacrifice what the rest of is did to get to Ac. I mean I’ve only been a pilot for 10 years and I’ve never never cracked 80k yr. I’ve flown in the shittiest places canada has to offer to get to where I am today. But your right I don’t deserve my seniority, I should keep fending off the bottom. But one day after 400at Pilots slide ahead I’ll finally reach the life goal of being able to afford guac on my burrito. Just delay it by 5 years no big deal.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

infiniteregulus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 pm I think it's complete garbage that they should get DOH or any advantage over an AC guy on property today. Seniority is FAR more important than status or pay for some. Especially with commuters - how will the pass travel be affected? Lifestyle with a block could turn into hell on reserve. Send the AT guys BOTL and top up their pay if you'd like, but like previously stated posts, it's morally wrong for them to bypass those who worked so hard and sacrificed so much to get where they are today at AC. With 600 numbers pushing you down, that's huge - almost 6 years worth of career setback! They got bought. Sucks for them but hey, the company they chose to work for got bought. Business is life. Like war, you get conquered. AT was conquered so how are they reaping the rewards in this transaction? (I know CR could care less and is a gain for AC as a company, but the workforce applies just as much)
So its about conquering and punishing....or enslaving? This is Canada man.

I don't like it either. DOH costs me plenty.

If ACPA doesn't propose something fair, the CIRB will. Real simple.

What happens if Onex does real well, and WestJet "conquers" AC? Does every Encore and Swoop pilot go to the front of the bus? Doesn't work that way here.

DP.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

You'll probably lose about $2 million dollars for a 5 year set back plus 5 years of junior schedules (5 years of 777CA pay plus 5 years of juniorCA pay differential..roughly). That's the cost to you for it being fair. Air Canada and Transat aren't even the same level of operation. I can see a AC & Westjet merger as being SOMEWHAT even ground, but a 4000 pilot company vs a 600 pilot company is not even the same ballpark. Extrapolate it further and imagine if CMA merged with Air Canada, should those senior pilots merge into the list DOH? Air Canada now has that 90% hiring from regional thing, so the influx is from a regional meaning guys paying dues to get where they are. To go through the backdoor with the merger is just wrong against those who chose to play by the rules and stick it out loyally. It's a slap in the face to all those new hires in the last 5 years. Do the AT guys have to go through the psych test and interview process, or do they jump that as well?
Let me add you'll be paying into those 500 plus AT pilots' new AC pensions as well after they retire..
And PLUS you better hope any layoffs don't hit your new low seniority number below 500 pilots, cause you'll be on the street making nothing. But at least it's fair, right??...

Last edited by infiniteregulus on Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldencondor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goldencondor »

Yes if West Jet buys AC then AC pilots are shit out of luck. This is not a merger its a take over from a business perspecivd. Scince AC is not buying the assets but the shares they have to respect the actual union labor. There will be negotiations and neither BOTL or DOH will win. So much involved, equipment bid, block/reserve.... oh jesus the fabulous course rights! Using one to go on an equipment that better your QOL and being pushed down on reserve because x amount of people bypassed the list now you are stuck there amd used the course.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Just another canuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm AT is not being conquered. AC wants to purchase it so their competitors do not. If Onex or TUI or some Chinese company buys it, that's bad for AC and therefore, bad for the pilot group. Long term, AC taking over AT is better for the entire AC community than if a competitor were to take it over.
Exactly

Return to “Air Transat”