Canadian North vs Regionals

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by Hilroy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Canadian North just posted a job ad for FOs on the DHC8, min. 500 hours...

Between you and me, Jazz vs Canadian North, pros and cons?
---------- ADS -----------
  
Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.

sullecpt
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:10 am

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by sullecpt » Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 am

Jazz gets you into AC eventually. Now that Transat is part of AC thats going to be an interesting place to be for sure.

Canadian North is great, but the North is not for everyone. Jazz keeps you near civilization.
---------- ADS -----------
  

GhostRider6
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:14 am

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by GhostRider6 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Here’s a few points that are by no means exhaustive...


CDN north

-higher wages
-less comprehensive benefit package
-rotational work / longer stints away
-northern flying
-more interesting / diverse flying ( subjective)
-less days worked
-less hours flown ( I’d imagine)
- Majors an option ( not just AC) : opportunity ( 737 type rating) to move onto a transport category jet aircraft
- likely more stable
-CDN does it’s own flying on its own routes
-alpa
-overseas contracts
-Career company / smaller company that cares about retention

Jazz:

-More comprehensive benefits package
-Markedly lower pay / contract with Low pay
- more days worked
-predominantly southern flying
-more hours flown
-pseudo career path to AC
-Transport category jet aircraft
-At AC’s whim/ susceptible to which way the wind blows at AC.
-alpa
-company does not desire employee retention
---------- ADS -----------
  

Laner
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by Laner » Sat May 18, 2019 6:34 am

GhostRider6 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 pm
Here’s a few points that are by no means exhaustive...


CDN north

-higher wages
-less comprehensive benefit package
-rotational work / longer stints away
-northern flying
-more interesting / diverse flying ( subjective)
-less days worked
-less hours flown ( I’d imagine)
- Majors an option ( not just AC) : opportunity ( 737 type rating) to move onto a transport category jet aircraft
- likely more stable
-CDN does it’s own flying on its own routes
-alpa
-overseas contracts
-Career company / smaller company that cares about retention

Jazz:

-More comprehensive benefits package
-Markedly lower pay / contract with Low pay
- more days worked
-predominantly southern flying
-more hours flown
-pseudo career path to AC
-Transport category jet aircraft
-At AC’s whim/ susceptible to which way the wind blows at AC.
-alpa
-company does not desire employee retention
Some of that CN information is pretty incorrect/dated.

- Pairings up north are 4-8 days (Bases are YEG/YYC, YEG has port bases in YOW/YZF/YFB if you really wanted to live or commute there instead and being ported means for less days working on pairings in some cases..... YYC does oil sands flying with single day pairings only).
- I'm not sure CN has ever had overseas contracts but they definitely do not currently.
- Several former employees have been hired by AC in the last few years, quite a few recently too.
- 737 opportunities are available fairly quick.
- Contract is very good, OT rules are exceptional.
- Schedule/compensation could be one of the better deals around.
---------- ADS -----------
  

igorcanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by igorcanuck » Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 am

Laner wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:34 am
GhostRider6 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:00 pm
Here’s a few points that are by no means exhaustive...


CDN north

-higher wages
-less comprehensive benefit package
-rotational work / longer stints away
-northern flying
-more interesting / diverse flying ( subjective)
-less days worked
-less hours flown ( I’d imagine)
- Majors an option ( not just AC) : opportunity ( 737 type rating) to move onto a transport category jet aircraft
- likely more stable
-CDN does it’s own flying on its own routes
-alpa
-overseas contracts
-Career company / smaller company that cares about retention

Jazz:

-More comprehensive benefits package
-Markedly lower pay / contract with Low pay
- more days worked
-predominantly southern flying
-more hours flown
-pseudo career path to AC
-Transport category jet aircraft
-At AC’s whim/ susceptible to which way the wind blows at AC.
-alpa
-company does not desire employee retention
Some of that CN information is pretty incorrect/dated.

- Pairings up north are 4-8 days (Bases are YEG/YYC, YEG has port bases in YOW/YZF/YFB if you really wanted to live or commute there instead and being ported means for less days working on pairings in some cases..... YYC does oil sands flying with single day pairings only).
- I'm not sure CN has ever had overseas contracts but they definitely do not currently.
- Several former employees have been hired by AC in the last few years, quite a few recently too.
- 737 opportunities are available fairly quick.
- Contract is very good, OT rules are exceptional.
- Schedule/compensation could be one of the better deals around.
So, DH8 out of YYC take you home every night? Is that right?
---------- ADS -----------
  

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by shimmydampner » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 pm

I'd be nervous about being on the bottom of a seniority list right before their potential merger with First Air. Seems like that would come with at least some layoffs.
---------- ADS -----------
  

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by leftoftrack » Thu May 23, 2019 6:02 am

if you saw the competition bureau's report there would be no need to worry about that. Never gonna be allowed
---------- ADS -----------
  

Hangry
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:05 am

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by Hangry » Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 am

Canadian North more stable than Jazz who just inked a deal till 2035?

I’d take that bet.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Lemon song
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by Lemon song » Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 am

Competition bureau has no teeth, show me an airline merger that was ever suspended in Canada starting with four regional carriers getting together across Canada to form Jazz. My money is on the merger happening.
---------- ADS -----------
  

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by shimmydampner » Fri May 24, 2019 6:01 am

leftoftrack wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:02 am
if you saw the competition bureau's report there would be no need to worry about that. Never gonna be allowed
I saw it. Would you be willing to bet a layoff on it?
---------- ADS -----------
  

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by co-joe » Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 am

What you have to realise if you consider CN is that; in the last oil boom, they hired a lot of young pilots and then in 2014 layed off a lot. Most of the jet captains are in their 30's and 40's so unless you are in your 20's, or the company doubles in size, you won't live long enough to ever see the left seat of the Boeing.

That said, if you want fast progression on the Dash fleet, and eventually onto whatever the blended fleet with First Airs ATR's ends up looking like it could be a great move. You could get into the right seat of the jet relatively quickly, but you'll have to go elsewhere for an upgrade. Everyone I've met there seems happy, FOs and Captains alike.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Tertle
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by Tertle » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

What are the Dash 8 upgrade opportunities like these days? Do they want previous 2 crew PIC experience or focus more on your performance as an FO? :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------
  

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by co-joe » Fri May 31, 2019 9:56 am

The only requirement I know of is 3500 total time. I was told by a Boeing FO that it was a hard requirement for him to reach before being allowed to bid left seat on the dash internally. I'd assume it applies to external hires as well.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:15 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by Hilroy » Fri May 31, 2019 7:00 pm

Crazy how regionals will upgrade quicker on the Q and RJ than Canadian North on the classic :o
---------- ADS -----------
  
Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Canadian North vs Regionals

Post by shimmydampner » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:36 am

Yeah well, the flying they do is a little different so it's not totally shocking.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Employment Forum”