Time for Transat pilot future poll

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

What will happen to Transat pilots if AC purchase Transat

Date of hire, merge seniority list with Air Canada
39%
BOTL at Air Canada
10%
BOTL but pay protected at Air Canada
26%
Transat rebrand as Rouge and stay a separate company
26%

Total votes: 121

thesimplelife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Time for Transat pilot future poll

Post by thesimplelife »

TheStig wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:25 am nd The AC/Cdn merger left everyone with a bad taste in their mouth because it was the forced marriage of two failing businesses that watched their combined market share dwindle. It's noteworthy that no pilots who lived through it have commented here, they've moved on, it was nearly two decades ago.

AC's purchase of TS isn't another chapter in the story its a different genre. No doubt there will still be pilots who feel they didn't get a fair deal and will make outlandish demands, so be it. Hopefully the leadership of both groups can get together and find common goals, figure out the key objectives and focus on achieving them.
Merge the lists, get rid of 4 year status pay, 5-10% bump across the board, improvements to the reserve rules and pension and I'd be content. It's a lot to ask for but hey, get all that and we're still well behind every carrier in the USA. Oh, and no more 10 year contracts.

When I got my offer letter I remember it saying something about wanting to be a top 10 global airline. Well, maybe it's time to start paying like a top 10 global airline.
---------- ADS -----------

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

The top scale Transat A330 captain has a lower pay rate than a A320 captain at AC. Essentially Transat Seniority #1 currently makes less on paper than a seniority number 3200ish that holds a A320 captain position at AC.

Let that sink in. The Transat pilots have landed a windfall of a lifetime. Even a DOH merge would be a huge upside for these guys/gals.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

RVR6000 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:13 pm The top scale Transat A330 captain has a lower pay rate than a A320 captain at AC. Essentially Transat Seniority #1 currently makes less on paper than a seniority number 3200ish that holds a A320 captain position at AC.

Let that sink in. The Transat pilots have landed a windfall of a lifetime. Even a DOH merge would be a huge upside for these guys/gals.
Is a top rate AC 320 more than 224/hr? I'm not quite sure if this is accurate. Plus, the schedule was the BIG draw at TS.
Regardless, hoping for positivity all around.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

DanWEC wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:26 pm
RVR6000 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:13 pm The top scale Transat A330 captain has a lower pay rate than a A320 captain at AC. Essentially Transat Seniority #1 currently makes less on paper than a seniority number 3200ish that holds a A320 captain position at AC.

Is a top rate AC 320 more than 224/hr? I'm not quite sure if this is accurate. Plus, the schedule was the BIG draw at TS.
Regardless, hoping for positivity all around.
It’s $220/hr (day/night blend).

www.airlinepilotcentral.com shows Transat Capt. tops out at approx. $175K.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

It’s not all about money. If that senior Transat Pilot ends up with less vacation and works more days per month then it’s far from a windfall

Goldencondor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goldencondor »

Regardless no doby will loose pay neither acrueded vacation because you allready have them. And in the big picture of things the 330 fleet at AC has the less efficient pairings of the WB fleet. Its fun flying in europe but for QOL the 320 works less days and more credits per month with less body fatigue due to minimal time zone changes. Regardless of the company don’t get attached to your seat to much, management move things around, play your cards as it goes. In such a big system a plane doesnt own a base or a destination equipment is prone to move around. Just pick a seat that suits your desire QOL to think that all those 330 and 321LR will stay in YUL and do the same flying is utopic, some will but most of it wont.

Goldencondor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goldencondor »

thesimplelife wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:08 pm
TheStig wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:25 am nd The AC/Cdn merger left everyone with a bad taste in their mouth because it was the forced marriage of two failing businesses that watched their combined market share dwindle. It's noteworthy that no pilots who lived through it have commented here, they've moved on, it was nearly two decades ago.

AC's purchase of TS isn't another chapter in the story its a different genre. No doubt there will still be pilots who feel they didn't get a fair deal and will make outlandish demands, so be it. Hopefully the leadership of both groups can get together and find common goals, figure out the key objectives and focus on achieving them.
Merge the lists, get rid of 4 year status pay, 5-10% bump across the board, improvements to the reserve rules and pension and I'd be content. It's a lot to ask for but hey, get all that and we're still well behind every carrier in the USA. Oh, and no more 10 year contracts.

When I got my offer letter I remember it saying something about wanting to be a top 10 global airline. Well, maybe it's time to start paying like a top 10 global airline.

A 10 year contract if good might actually be a good thing because it will be negociated from a relative position of strengh, not like the last one that was signed when economy was still having a hard time to pick up and fuel prices were thru the roof.
Plus we will have to fix maybee the course rights a bit because most likely some AT guys will slide ahead of people that used a course right without this merge in head and will end up loosing the QOL. Like bidding a position at 80% to avoid comuting on reserve and getting bumped to 95% on that same position with slower move for a forseable future.

Return to “General Comments”