When is YVR's next in-person assessment session?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

When is YVR's next in-person assessment session?

Post by whatisttv »

Hi y'all. Just trying to see if anyone knows the next in-person assessment session for Vancouver FIR. I want to know how long someone would have to wait after recently writing their online assessment.

Edit: Also, it's my understanding that you go through the selection in the FIR you applied in...but if you want a different FIR, how do you go about applying for that? Because the online test is a generic website. If you pass, how does navcan know which FIR you want? Do you just specify it when you receive an invitation to an in-person assessment? That seems impractical...
---------- ADS -----------

blackbird71
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: When is YVR's next in-person assessment session?

Post by blackbird71 »

Not sure when YVR may be doing their next assessment, but it is my understanding they are currently running them in that region around twice a year. With the addition of FEAST it seems that applications are being processed a little quicker than with the old w-sim. At least that is what I am noticing with my own application, however this is my first time applying.

As for your second question, when I applied earlier this year you could select the FIR's you wanted to apply to. However, just be aware that whatever ones you choose to apply for you are responsible for travel to and from whichever FIR your application goes forward in. Hope this helps.

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

Hey thanks! Do you know when the last in-person assessment session was for this year? Where are you in the application process?

joey2804
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joey2804 »

I did the online test over Christmas and just sitting on "Assessment" when I log into my profile with NavCanada.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Jan 20something. We still have not (or at least I haven't, dunno about the others) gotten our interviews yet. We also did the old w-sim test, not FEAST.

YVRFlier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRFlier »

hopefulguy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:41 pm Jan 20something. We still have not (or at least I haven't, dunno about the others) gotten our interviews yet. We also did the old w-sim test, not FEAST.
I think it was January 23rd. I'm in the same boat. In the "Interview" stage but no word yet as of when that will be

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

joey2804 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am I did the online test over Christmas and just sitting on "Assessment" when I log into my profile with NavCanada.
Does showing "assessment" on your profile indicate that youve passed the online test? If so, how can you be sure of it?

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

hopefulguy wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:41 pm Jan 20something. We still have not (or at least I haven't, dunno about the others) gotten our interviews yet. We also did the old w-sim test, not FEAST.
Wait so Jan 20something (but Jan 23rd as mentioned by someone else) was the last w-sim assessment session for 2019?

joey2804
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joey2804 »

whatisttv wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:55 am
joey2804 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am I did the online test over Christmas and just sitting on "Assessment" when I log into my profile with NavCanada.
Does showing "assessment" on your profile indicate that youve passed the online test? If so, how can you be sure of it?
From what I've read, "assessment" means you passed the online test and are awaiting the next stage, but they haven't gotten to you yet.

korwynkim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by korwynkim »

Looks like they are running sessions in October. It says no advanced prep is required. Does that mean they are using FEAST instead of w-sim?

largesizzler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by largesizzler »

I was just invited for sessions the week of October 15, the invite says no prep required so I'm guessing its the FEAST.

Good Luck!

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

korwynkim wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 pm Looks like they are running sessions in October. It says no advanced prep is required. Does that mean they are using FEAST instead of w-sim?
Yep! DM'd you

riasvox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by riasvox »

[deleted]

Last edited by riasvox on Mon May 03, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nekton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nekton »

I would be interested in that answer too. I am under the impression that all streams do the same testing and that your results will dictate whether you get an offer for training, and for what kind. If anyone can confirm/clarify the testing and interview stages for VFR, IFR, FSS that would be much appreciated.
I am in the early stages of the process right now, submitted application and completed online test in early Sept., now sitting at 'assessment' and waiting. Although my primary interest is VFR I could also be quite happy with FSS and understanding the testing regime, and how it might impact my success, would be very helpful.
Once you make it through the session in Oct. and find this out would you post back here please? Thks.

alphavictor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alphavictor »

For those that did the assessment last week, how did it go? Any word on the timeline going forward?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Could it be true?? YVR is getting more controllers? Could this be the end of crossing times on sky clear days and 90 mile vectors for “traffic”?

Xanthe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Xanthe »

alphavictor wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:42 am For those that did the assessment last week, how did it go? Any word on the timeline going forward?
I did my assessment for YVR on Oct 21st and I still haven’t heard anything! It’s still showing as “status: assessment.”

Aguaymanto
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aguaymanto »

Nekton wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:36 am I would be interested in that answer too. I am under the impression that all streams do the same testing and that your results will dictate whether you get an offer for training, and for what kind. If anyone can confirm/clarify the testing and interview stages for VFR, IFR, FSS that would be much appreciated.
I also have this same question!

utkarsh132
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by utkarsh132 »

how to check status online for the application. I noticed in many thread that peopleare discussing that app status is "assessment"

How to find that? When I login to see my application, all I see is "You've already applied for this job"and do not find any status anywhere.

moosetracks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by moosetracks »

In workday click on your username in the top right then go to "candidate home". There you will find your application with current status. If you click on the application it will take you to an area that has "your tasks" that lists things you need to do if any. When you get a task to do you should also get an email from workday telling you to do something. For example when they invite you to FEAST you will get an email telling you, and then you will schedule the date on this "your tasks" section of workday.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”