Digital Artificial Horizon

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Digital Artificial Horizon

Post by ragbagflyer »

Axial Flow wrote:Have you considered clicking on the bottom right hand corner and downloading 303 updated files! :)

How do you find the stratus 2 does for pitch/bank? I just ordered one and hoping it isn't a waste of cash for the backup AHRS function. Are you level in that picture? It kind shows a right bank but it is zero'd at the top.

ADS-B looks great when close to the border.

Any feedback on the Stratus 2 would be great.
This is a 128 gb iPad mini 4 and we store all charts and plates for all of North America so the week prior to the start of a new update cycle it prompts you to download the updates (many gb's worth). Needless to say, it's better done on my blazing fast internet at home and not some spotty public network.

I have few complaints with the stratus 2. Sometimes when you turn it on foreflight doesn't connect to it and the app needs to be fully quit and reloaded. Ahramin is correct in that the photo is tilted, not the horizon. I've seen the horizon drift out a couple degrees over very log periods (hours) but it's easy to zero/re-calibrate. It's pretty amazing to watch as you fly an approach that you've also loaded in foreflight. You fly right onto the runway on the screen of the iPad.

The ADSB is great especially for weather. Nav Canada needs to get on board and release their weather to the system. Interestingly Canadian marine weather stations on the West Coast feed into the ADSB wx updates so I can get an approximation of Vancouver and Nanaimo wx by looking a Sand Heads and Entrance Island.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ragbagflyer on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
Axial Flow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Axial Flow »

Yeah those downloads take forever on the office wifi and with that many I can imagine waiting to update!

Thanks for the feedback, it seems like an amazing device and just blows me away that you have more power with foreflight and ipad than an airliner from 20 years ago.

Will be great when ADS-B weather comes to Canada for sure. Thanks again for the info.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Can I get the experimental Garmin G5 version instead of the SCT'ed one in my Cessna 180 and restrict the flying to Day VFR only? $ 1000.00 difference between the two versions and exactly the same hardware/software!

Cheers

gwagen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gwagen »

tazin river wrote:Can I get the experimental Garmin G5 version instead of the SCT'ed one in my Cessna 180 and restrict the flying to Day VFR only? $ 1000.00 difference between the two versions and exactly the same hardware/software!

Cheers
No you can’t permanently install anything into a certified aircraft that is not approved to be installed.

You would have to go with the certified version with the stc.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

tazin river wrote:Can I get the experimental Garmin G5 version instead of the SCT'ed one in my Cessna 180 and restrict the flying to Day VFR only? $ 1000.00 difference between the two versions and exactly the same hardware/software!

Cheers
No. But if you want a cheaper option the Dynon D10 STC now includes Cessna 180.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-com ... -d10a-d100

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

If I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump, DG and AH altogether, would I need to get two Garmin G5 units (one showing AH and one used as DG) or is one enough toggling back and forth as needed?

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

tazin river wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am If I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump, DG and AH altogether, would I need to get two Garmin G5 units (one showing AH and one used as DG) or is one enough toggling back and forth as needed?
When I looked into it a year ago to ditch vacuum system, the G5 wouldn’t suffice to date. Not certified as a stand alone back up. Can be used as a primary but to ditch the vacuum one would need the G5 or G500 etc as a primary and for the back up something like the Sandia SAI 340.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Avidynes E5 is now available for same price as the G5. Put the AH where the vsi is, and should be gtg

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

TimothysAr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Digital Artificial Horizon

Post by TimothysAr »

I set my horizon occasionally to reflect level flight in my current state of trim depending on load. Id expect to do the same with a digital instrument. And what does icing have to do with any horizon instrument?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Just what Garmin certified no fiki, not more than6000#, not more than 6people, methinks it is so they can sell you a more expensive system

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

tazin river wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am If I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump, DG and AH altogether, would I need to get two Garmin G5 units (one showing AH and one used as DG) or is one enough toggling back and forth as needed?
There’s no requirement for a vacuum system or AI/DG in a day VFR aircraft at all. Not even a turn and bank indicator.

Personally I’d think putting one G5 in is better than two vacuum instruments. The G5 has a backup battery which will get you out of almost any situation you got yourself into, and displays information much better than an AI.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C-GKNT wrote: Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 amSee my previous post. With the Dynon like the Garmin G500/600/1000, no GPS--->No Attitude.
The Dynon D10A doesn't require GPS for attitude.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

We installed the G5 last week and used it for the first time a couple days ago...

...I think I am going to really like this instrument....simple and easy to use...

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”