Encore, then Jazz?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Encore, then Jazz?

Post by Hilroy »

Let's say Encore called and not Jazz, and you've been offered a GS date at Encore. For someone wanting to hold YVR or YUL as a base, would you considering switching companies after a few months (considering you hate your current job) if you're successful in the Jazz interview process?
---------- ADS -----------

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Encore, then Jazz?

Post by fish4life »

do you hate your current job at encore or you are trying to decide if you want to leave your current job for encore with a possibility of jazz down the road?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...or, the perfect is the enemy of the good...take the first job that meets your needs, and then reassess if the circumstances change..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd venture to say that if you don't like Encore, you won't like Jazz either. There's pros and cons to each, but if you boil it down, you'll be flying a regional airplane around Canada for mediocre pay.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Hilroy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 pm Let's say Encore called and not Jazz, and you've been offered a GS date at Encore. For someone wanting to hold YVR or YUL as a base, would you considering switching companies after a few months (considering you hate your current job) if you're successful in the Jazz interview process?
goingnowherefast wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:43 am I'd venture to say that if you don't like Encore, you won't like Jazz either. There's pros and cons to each, but if you boil it down, you'll be flying a regional airplane around Canada for mediocre pay.
I think he means wanting out of instructing. Gets on with WEN but since he lives in YVR would prefer working at Jazz as there's the chance of a YVR base with them. I don't think he's really caring about one over the other, except for that.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

That's quite possible. In that case, consider the company is spending 60+ grand training you, and you jump ship after a few weeks/months? Defer the Jazz offer hoping the Encore application is successful. In my books, it's the ethical thing to do.

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Canoehead wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:16 am I think he means wanting out of instructing. Gets on with WEN but since he lives in YVR would prefer working at Jazz as there's the chance of a YVR base with them. I don't think he's really caring about one over the other, except for that.
Exactly... After 18 months of instruction, it's time to move on. I really want to hold YVR as a base, and have no interest whatsoever of commuting.

I applied to Jazz and Encore and only Encore contacted me yet. I'm just about to finish the interview process...

Master of Cessna 172
GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Man, times have changed .. after 18 months of instructing onto a Q400...

I did 18 months on the Ramp to get onto a C206... the company went bankrupt then it was back to the ramp for me!!!

G’luck and hope things work out for you...

I wouldn’t take one job then jump ship over to another company with under a year of employment at the first company... never a good plan ..it seems like such a long time ago that that kinda thing would follow one around and be prohibitive to industry longevity...

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:43 am I'd venture to say that if you don't like Encore, you won't like Jazz either. There's pros and cons to each, but if you boil it down, you'll be flying a regional airplane around Canada for mediocre pay.
Says the guy flying around in 704. You have no idea what either company is like. So maybe keep your advice to Wasaya or whatever it is you do.

As for Encore vs. Jazz. They are both very different companies and one might like it better at Encore than Jazz and vise versa.

OP, take the Encore job. If you really want Jazz, then apply and when they call.. leave. You don't owe anyone anything. Look out for your best interests.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

GhostRider6 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:00 pm Man, times have changed .. after 18 months of instructing onto a Q400...

I did 18 months on the Ramp to get onto a C206... the company went bankrupt then it was back to the ramp for me!!!

G’luck and hope things work out for you...

I wouldn’t take one job then jump ship over to another company with under a year of employment at the first company... never a good plan ..it seems like such a long time ago that that kinda thing would follow one around and be prohibitive to industry longevity...
Jealous?

Who cares what you or I did. This is the way of the industry now, and you would be lying if you said you wouldn't have liked the same progression some of the younger guys are seeing now. Don't be a hypocrite.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

A) If you have no interest in commuting why did you apply to encore?

B) if you have no interest in commuting jazz may not be any better because you may end up on a type that doesn’t have positions in YVR and then you are commuting.

C) Pasco seems like a better job for your situation

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Hilroy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:26 pm
Canoehead wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:16 am I think he means wanting out of instructing. Gets on with WEN but since he lives in YVR would prefer working at Jazz as there's the chance of a YVR base with them. I don't think he's really caring about one over the other, except for that.
Exactly... After 18 months of instruction, it's time to move on. I really want to hold YVR as a base, and have no interest whatsoever of commuting.

I applied to Jazz and Encore and only Encore contacted me yet. I'm just about to finish the interview process...
If you have no interest in commuting, move! It’s a big world.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Don't listen to laserstrike. That type of person would step over their dead grandma to fly a shiny jet.

Everyone I know at Jazz and Encore seems to like their jobs and offer friendly harassment about why their company is best. The only people I know who have quit, went to bigger pay checks: over seas, AC/WJ/SW and one guy went back to his previous 703 captain job (doubled his pay and no more hotels).

Just don't job hop shortly after starting. It would be another low blow to the whole industry to read a thread about Encore starting a bond. Especially leaving for a "vastly different" company that flies 2-7 legs a day in a Q400 around Canada. Oh sorry laserstrike, I forgot about the fancy CRJ at Jazz.

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 am
Just don't job hop shortly after starting. It would be another low blow to the whole industry to read a thread about Encore starting a bond.
Maybe it will push companies like Encore and Jazz to implement a nice retention bonus instead.

Keep your moral lessons to yourself.

Hilroy: Do what is best for you. This is business.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

For people saying you owe one company nothing, while partially true it can come back to bite you in the ass.
If you did the encore for 2 months then over to jazz thing and when the time came you were one of the 10% PFO’d jazz guys to AC and you want to go to WJ I can pretty much guarantee you would never get a job because you burnt that bridge years before.

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

fish4life wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:49 am If you did the encore for 2 months then over to jazz thing and when the time came you were one of the 10% PFO’d jazz guys to AC and you want to go to WJ I can pretty much guarantee you would never get a job because you burnt that bridge years before.
You're right... And seems like there is less and less actors on the market nowadays, with Transat just being bought.

Better stay in good terms with everybody, nobody knows what will happen on that crazy market in the next years...

Master of Cessna 172
laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 am Don't listen to laserstrike. That type of person would step over their dead grandma to fly a shiny jet.

Everyone I know at Jazz and Encore seems to like their jobs and offer friendly harassment about why their company is best. The only people I know who have quit, went to bigger pay checks: over seas, AC/WJ/SW and one guy went back to his previous 703 captain job (doubled his pay and no more hotels).

Just don't job hop shortly after starting. It would be another low blow to the whole industry to read a thread about Encore starting a bond. Especially leaving for a "vastly different" company that flies 2-7 legs a day in a Q400 around Canada. Oh sorry laserstrike, I forgot about the fancy CRJ at Jazz.
I've helped more people in this industry than you likely ever have or will.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Do what's best for you. If you want to leave your current position and encore offers you a job then take it and try commuting. From what I've heard commuting there is fairly easy.

You're at encore for a few months and realize commuting isn't for you and Jazz offers you a spot then take it. You have a good chance to get YVR to start and if not, choose either the Q or RJ if you can and bud to YVR. Shouldn't take more than a few months to get YVR based, sure you'd have to commute again but only for a short time most likely.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Hi Laserstrike,

I said times have changed.. in nowhere in my post did I say it was a bad thing... it’s different..times today are different..

How am I hypocritical ?

I did offer my .02 not to jump ship after company A trains to only to go to company B.
The good times never last forever .. an ass kicked may be attached to an ass breeding kissing in the future .. a mentor taught me this and it’s good life advice and has stuck with me..

Feel free to agree to disagree!

:)

floater121.5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by floater121.5 »

If you want to stay in YVR why not pasco or cma and do the one year, get some experience that isn't flight instructing, then apply from there? You'd be able to stay in vancouver that way and build the resume.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”