DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: DOH merge.

Post by Fanblade »

Victory wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 am I expect all current Rouge pilots will be brought back to mainline. Rouge will be a completely separate airline and be manned by Transat pilots and they will not be merged. The ACPA will agree to this because it means the end of the B-Scale and prevents the Transat pilots from messing up everyone's careers.
Not going to happen. But just to play devils advocate.

- What do you think would happen when 768 pilots re enter the mainline list? Certainly it would solve AC’s pilot shortage.
- Now that another pilot group holds those jobs what happens to opportunities for ACPA pilots?
- Then what happens down the road when the Transat pilots are pissed with our behaviour and offer to do mainline work for less?

Do any of these things sound like they might mess up one career?
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:40 am Here we go with the revisionist history, Canadi>n was never bankrupt and we didn't get a 25% pay raise. Air Canada on the other hand did go bankrupt.

If I earn $15 / hour at McDonalds and work 20 hours a week, then start working 30 hours a week I earn more money - but it is not a pay raise.

Canadi>n Pilots out earned AC on every contract up until the last one prior to the merger. AC Pilots flew substantially more hours than Canadi>n. All in it was a slight pay raise but a far cry from 25%. Contract for Contract I would have taken the CAIL one hands down. Not to mention CAIL's smallest jet was a 737, verses a RJ.

No RP's ; No RJ's.
Thanks for the observations Stu.

Take away for today’s situation.

1) AC pilots may gross more. Our hourly rate maybe more. But do we make more per hour at work? In the current case it might be the Transat pilots who make more per hour at work. This is why pay becomes irrelevant.

2) Notice Stu’s reference to No RP’s ; No RJ’s. He doesn’t mention the 8:1 ratio at the bottom of the CDN/AC merger however this was the justification for it. He still seems to believe that RP’s are less than 737 pilots and he is on the AC side of the fence. Do you think it’s possible that some Transat pilots might be thinking the same way? Since it is a precedence, what would you do if the situation was reversed.

The problem with a merger is no one wants to lose anything. Everyone starts coming up with their own rationalizations, justifications, and excuses as to why they think they deserve special treatment. Everyone believes in their position but the arbitrator will only follow one. Their is risk it won’t be yours. There is risk an arbitration can go horribly wrong.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:32 am
FL320 wrote:Going to AC is not my choice, it will be imposed. Some of you think that it’s an upgrade for us but it won’t be the case for everyone. 2 friends resigned from AC and one who recently joined already regrets the move. Don’t believe it’s a privilege being bought.
You should totally resign if this goes through, it's bullshit that they're sending you here...

This isn't the lifestyle you wanted... let alone having to be hated by the media and all the passengers...

You should send a message and walk.
I’ll be honest that is an option. I have the EASA ATPL and the European passport, if i’m forced to AC and I don’t like the outcome I will move. It’ll be far better in Europe than AC anyway, I just have to convince my wife...not the easiest job for me :lol:

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

FL320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 am
FL320 wrote:Going to AC is not my choice, it will be imposed. Some of you think that it’s an upgrade for us but it won’t be the case for everyone. 2 friends resigned from AC and one who recently joined already regrets the move. Don’t believe it’s a privilege being bought.
You should totally resign if this goes through, it's bullshit that they're sending you here...

This isn't the lifestyle you wanted... let alone having to be hated by the media and all the passengers...

I’ll be honest that is an option. I have the EASA ATPL and the European passport, if i’m forced to AC and I don’t like the outcome I will move. It’ll be far better in Europe than AC anyway, I just have to convince my wife...not the easiest job for me :lol:
I hope the bulk of TS plots aren’t like you. You should absolutely make a stand and not come over.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FL320 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 am

I'm the exact opposite... wife wants to move to France, but I don't want to commute... Maybe I can borrow your passport and license and you can have my seniority#...

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

You two guys that saying the potentially incoming TS pilots aren't worth crap have a very creative understanding of basic math.
4100 pilots at AC, 600 at TS, with DOH spread all through the roster.
Two point you guys need to see:
1) With a DOH blend, it's a good assumption there would be just as many ex-TS guys under you as above.
And
2)Since the pool of pilots and planes would be EXPANDING based on the merger there would be ZERO DISPLACEMENT. The ratios remain the same. Your career will stay the same.

Not trying to sound rude.

Cheers.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I disagree the aircraft will be expanding the fleet. Older TS 330s will be cut loose, 310s gone, 737s gone...

There will be more TS pilots than fins, AC would have sourced the 330/320s anyway, they have actively been...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

I'm not sure how 8 pages later people are still talking DOH. There are many pilots on the AC list that are not DOH.
It will NEVER be DOH.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

TSAM wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:24 am
It's been mentioned AC doesn't do DOH or have a DOH list. I'm sure it's not hard to figure out though.
Solve the riddle.

Two AC pilots have the same DOH. However they are 200 numbers apart on the seniority list as a result of a previous arbitration. Being locked in by Arbitration this can not change.

A Transat pilot hired the day after the two AC pilots slots in where?

:smt040

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

altiplano wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:15 am I disagree the aircraft will be expanding the fleet. Older TS 330s will be cut loose, 310s gone, 737s gone...

There will be more TS pilots than fins, AC would have sourced the 330/320s anyway, they have actively been...
Not that it matters what I think, but I’m not sure about the older 330s and the 330-200s leaving. I certainly agree the 310s and 37s are gone, but ac likes the 330s and as you mention we have been sourcing more. Now we get 20 plus all the other aircraft plus the rest of the business for 520 million. That’s 2 or 3 787s.

Transat has marketshare. Marketshare AC wants. If we take that marketshare and then dump the fleet how do you maintain the capacity to hold onto it? Some can be absorbed into our capacity but 34-50 aircraft worth? (If you count the seasonal leases)

Maybe I’m not seeing it, but I don’t see too many 330s disappearing in the near term.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

DanWEC wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:07 am 4100 pilots at AC, 600 at TS
In theory BOTL would probably piss off the fewest people at only 600.

I’m not actually advocating that, I have friends at TS.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Air Canada is hiring close to 600 people a year at BOTL and many of them are just as experienced as the Transat pilots, or more.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

Victory wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 pm Air Canada is hiring close to 600 people a year at BOTL and many of them are just as experienced as the Transat pilots, or more.
Exactly.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

I want to see at least one extra unrestricted bid come, or just change the whole shit bid system.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

While we're at it, fix the reserve.

A couple more dollarydoos into the pension would be nice as well.

Puffpuffpass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Puffpuffpass »

TSAM wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:57 pm I think some of the junior AC posters need to heed the words of the more experienced AC posters here.
laserstrike wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:35 pm
At the end of the day when it comes time to vote, I need to see the big picture. You don't have the big picture now, but you're already jumping to conclusions and making outlandish demands. If the fleet is growing by the same or more than the eqivelant pilots coming over then I can deal with it. But do we really think that's going to happen? The 737s will likely be gone, the older 310's, gone. The remaining 310's and 737 are scheduled to be retired over the next couple years, the 321's are to replace those. Those 321's... that AC will be getting. What does that leave us with, 20 330's and a dozen 320s? Are all the future orders going to see the line? Is AC going to sell them off to the higest bidder? Are the 7373 MAX's going to leave the fleet and these NEOs only replace what we already had? Etc. etc. Discuss that with CR
laserstrike wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:20 pm
Puffpuffpass wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:20 pm Above post is spot on, how would a Transat pilot be able to complain about being allowed to hold his same seat out of Senority, with a pay raise? Obviously they should have to join the bottom of the list at AC...they started working here after everyone else!!

I also don’t agree with these fences protecting certain groups. What kind of fence is going to protect the 3 yr guy here? I could care less about myself, no matter what happens here I won’t be affected. Seems like you do care

It will no doubt go to arbitration, unless ACPA and AC have a little something up their sleeves, which I’m starting to think they might. Our Rouge President left out of the blue this week past.
I'm hearing a lot of people agree with this sentiment. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I chose to leave a pretty cushy job at Jazz to go to AC. My decision was pretty hard to make given I was essentially layoff protected at Jazz, had a great schedule in the left seat and it would have only continued to get better. I decided to come based on retirement and fleet projections, plus the fact I was supposed to have 600 pilots BELOW me in a year and a half. Someone has the case of the "supposed ta's". What if this merger doesn't happen but a recession does? Are you going to cry that to Calin when the layoff letters get sent out? I chose to stay in the AC umbrella by doing my time at Jazz, and shouldn't be disadvantaged for my loyalty to the brand.We all know you decided to go to AC for more than that, and see below about taking risks. Additionally that "cushy" job at jazz is still there if you like. As for loyalty, it means nothing in Canadian aviation, hasn't for ages.

Now, if the majority of AT pilots slide in above me.. it will really effect potential upgrades, schedule and long term career prospects. A lot of pilots who've been around over 15 years has had their upgrades, pay, schedule, and career prospects changed at some point. You are no special case. Many of us at TS are affected by a merger too, we have a great thing here, may not be perfect, but we’re happy here Many of them chose to got to AT and there are a number who left the AC family (Express mostly) with no intention of working for AC. Why give them the biggest of all payoffs with seniority, pay increases and many more opportunities for widebody left seats than they would have ever seen at AT.

Let them keep their seats, and pay. But put them at the bottom. Give them YOS for pay and vacation for all I care. But when it comes to bidding rights, they should go where they belong. The bottom. Sure, we'll keep our seats (and planes)... not going to happen

I might sound like an asshole, yes you do but this is my life here... and yes it's theirs too. But that's the risk you take going to go work for a charter airline, you took the risk of joining the aviation industry. Additionally, Transat has been around for over 30 yrs with no sign of slowing or ending many of which haven't had that great of lifespan in Canada over the years.
ahramin wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:27 pm So you think it's possible that adding aircraft and pilots could triple the upgrade time? Are you able to share how you calculated that? Are you assuming the new duty regs will be implemented or current duty regs?
Math (addition) seems hard to comprehend. I'm really beginning to think we're being trolled. Not being able to add the aircraft, positions created due to fatigue rules and to cover the positions from our mixed fleet flying, retirements and likely some early retirements, and likely we’ll be short staffed as mgmt will not want to spend the time and money to train someone for a short duration on Transats dime. Not to mention a reopen of their contract is very beneficial to AC, but yet, some don't see it.

It's really not hard to all work together, the last thing we all need is a toxic work environment. And it's not hard to wait for confirmation of a merger and approval from the competition bureau before spinning the death of your careers.

couple edits for clarity
Why would any junior pilot in their right mind heed any words of wisdom from one of us old guys? We are the greediest bunch of the lot, we are the ones who have this airline in the state that its in.....reading some of the post the younger generation have and how they discuss things in their own private forums is actually quite humbling....I strongly disagree and feel, the only way to get the union and all its members to fight an honest fight for the junior guy, is to affect the entire list....let the pilots 2600 and up start worrying about 400-600 guys/gals slotting ahead of them....see what happens then! If I were junior I would ask for protection against all the group or roll the dice and send it to an arbitration.....what have they to loose?? It sickens me how two pilots at AC can have totally different careers.....

I've been very fortunate however, I have other family members who have long careers left here and they have sacrificed so much already for their spots. It woud be a shame to see these new guys come over with their sense of entitlement(which they will) and out a negative spin on it all.

I ask again, how is it unfair, or unheard of, to let the AT pilots keep their current positions, hold same Senority amoungst their own, and receive a huge pay raise? The #1 guy is still flying his 330 with 600 pilots below him, and he now has a raise, better benefits, better perks, etc.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Because he will go from an awesome schedule to a shitty one, again it may be hard to see because it’s not the same goals in life but some people are ok making less money for a good schedule.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

TSAM wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:32 am
Overall if all goes ideally, no one will ever notice a reduction in seniority % or upgrade times if affected. Most, if not all should benefit especially in a new contract. I'm sure when the MECs sit down and crunch the numbers to reflect this most can breathe easy. I'm very certain no one at AC will lose their position. Same can't be said for TS pilots.

A seniority % based merger would have Air Transat pilots hired in 2006 slotting in ahead of Air a Canada pilots hired in 1997/1998 around the 25% mark. That split remains but gets slightly less dramatic throughout the list. Eg.) a 4 year difference in favour of TS at the 50% mark. This is because for a lot of people TS isn't a career company and enough of the pilots quit or came to AC, keeping TS substantially more junior. If you get your % based merger I won't have to worry about the damage done to my career at AC because I am going to supplement my income by selling pitch forks and torches.

Return to “Air Transat”