Exercices 24. Instrument flying.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Horia1337
Rank 0
Rank 0

Exercices 24. Instrument flying.

Post by Horia1337 »

Good evening everyone. I have a little question i am studying for my Class 4 practical exam. I have a doubt about this exercise. For the Instrument Flying exercise 24, is it too much if i have 3 different Power Points for the same exercise? I have the first one about the Instruments ( Gyroscopic and Pitot-Static how they work if the block how it will affect the instruments etc..) The second PowerPoint is about Human Factors and The Magnetic Compass. And the last one is about the the instruments in straight and level flight---Climb---Descend---Turns--- Unusual attitude and Partial Panel.

Now i would like to know if anyone here could tell me if 3 Power Points for the same exercise is too much or if i can go like this to present my exercise like this??

Thanks in advance :prayer: :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Exercices 24. Instrument flying.

Post by photofly »

You won’t be asked to present a PGI on instrument flying on an initial class IV instructor ride so don’t worry too much about it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Horia1337
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Horia1337 »

photofly wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 am You won’t be asked to present a PGI on instrument flying on an initial class IV instructor ride so don’t worry too much about it.
OK Thanks for the answer :prayer: but i would still like to know if 3 Power Points are too much ?

kilo3bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilo3bravo »

Breaking Ex. 24 into separate lessons is a great idea. I don't believe that's too much.

There is A LOT of very important information to cover under this lesson.

Unintentional flight into IMC conditions is often fatal for PPL pilots. Low visibility and/or flying close to VFR minimums can be very disorienting.

Take all the time you need to build a strong foundation for this exercise.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I start ex 24 with a discussion that explains why I am teaching this, that is the last chance to save your sorry butt after you made some bad decisions. I then go through 5 scenarios with examples of what those bad decisions look like.

The most important part of the first ex 24 PGI is learning how to recognizing when IMC conditions are imminent and doing something before you get into IMC, discussing how to make the VMC to IMC transition, and and then how to get back to VMC

Horia1337
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Horia1337 »

Thanks a lot guys appreciate. That s what i thought also that i might need more Power Points to explain the full exercise because it is really complex and there is a lot to go through and fully understand by the new students

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Absolutely break them up into separate PGI's. (ex, one on attitudes and movements scan, one on climbs, turns, etc) It's a lot of info to take in at once, and I'd bet with certainty that an examiner would never ask you to teach ALL of lesson 24, but possibly part of it.

Don't be so sure they won't ask you to teach some part of lesson 24. I was told by my instructor that Ex. 24 was very unlikely, but the impromptu lesson I had to do in the air for my Class 4 was to teach Unusual Attitude recovery. I was a bit frazzled because I prepped mentally for everything else VFR he could throw at me, assuming Instrument stuff wouldn't be asked about.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 am You won’t be asked to present a PGI on instrument flying on an initial class IV instructor ride so don’t worry too much about it.
I know someone that had to teach navaids on a class 4 ride.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

youhavecontrol wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:16 am Don't be so sure they won't ask you to teach some part of lesson 24. ...
Bede wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:09 am I know someone that had to teach navaids on a class 4 ride.
I didn't say he wouldn't be asked to teach some part of lesson 24, or teach navaids. I said he wouldn't be asked to present a PGI on instrument flying. What happens in the air, is a different question. But, obviously, the examiner can ask for anything.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Personally, I would make a separate power point for unusual attitudes and partial panel. PGI's should ideally be used for each specific flying lesson you are going to cover. I don't think you would be covering partial panel on the same flight that you introduce the basic instrument scan, straight and level flight, climbs and descents.

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

I wouldn't exactly say that you won't be asked to PGI it, however I would agree that it is unlikely. If it's a PPL exercise in the FIG, it could be asked. Examiners typically would ask an initial Class 4 to PGI that has been showing weak areas on the most recent national flight test scores...and in my opinion, instrument flying isn't exactly taught very well.

However, to answer your question, I think 3 PGI's is a perfect amount. I've had a lot of success with breaking the PGI's up into full panel, partial panel, and then radio nav(VOR, GPS, etc.) The GPS FIG is here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... u-1746.htm

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

It was PGI, in flight main lesson on navaids

Return to “Flight Training”