New TC Cannabis rules

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

New TC Cannabis rules

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Interesting change from the previous “Thou shall never consume Cannabis”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/transp ... -1.5164518
---------- ADS -----------

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New TC Cannabis rules

Post by praveen4143 »

The article seems very dubiously written... Lol
They don't name the Transport Canada official nor have any links to the announcement on the TC website and I could not find anything directly on the TC website either...

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Even if these were to be the new rules, I doubt anyone would have a schedule or be able to maintain a job within Canada, smoke weed and abide by those rules.

S.

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 am Even if these were to be the new rules, I doubt anyone would have a schedule or be able to maintain a job within Canada, smoke weed and abide by those rules.

S.
Except for those Max Drivers. They have a pretty decent schedule :lol:

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

So the only way it would work is if you had 4 weeks of holidays a year and you took them all at once, then you could smoke weed the 1st day of your holidays and that's it. If that rule is even true it's like it was designed not to work.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I think it's good if they put an actual timeframe on it. At least now people know it's 28 days if they "accidentally" use Cannabis.

Before it was a bit unclear: if you smoked on your time off because you couldn't resist temptation, how long would you be flying illegally (if you decided to do so).

Makes it easier for companies to deal with it as well: you used cannabis, 28 days off without pay and don't do it again.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Some companies have 2 months on/2 months off schedules. Voyageur I think does, for example. You could smoke weed your entire first month off. Also, float pilots, water bomber pilots, etc could smoke all winter and just stop 28 days before coming back to work for the summer.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Link to the CARs (404/424) or Canada Gazette, or it didn't happen.

...laura

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Mapleflt wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 am Even if these were to be the new rules, I doubt anyone would have a schedule or be able to maintain a job within Canada, smoke weed and abide by those rules.

S.

The problem with this is WHAT..............!!!!!!
I don't see any science behind those rules. My time to consume has long since passed but I know many who still do, both on a casual and regular basis, and it doesn't take 28 days to recover from casual use. Same as alcohol. Regular use, if it is affecting workplace performance should be treated like alcoholism.

I think there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding cannabis caused by years of fear mongering. Do I think you can show up high and perform normally? Not a chance, same as alcohol. Get out of my cockpit. But if you are a casual user, smart about how and when you consume with plenty of time to recover (I'm talking both cannabis and alcohol), I don't see any issues at all. The biggest factor nowadays, forget mood enhancing drugs, is guys and gals getting enough rest between shifts. Fatigue is probably the biggest risk factor in aviation as we tiptoe around it, but we're happy to slap unreasonable time frames on the use of a legal product.

S.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

But if you are a casual user, smart about how and when you consume with plenty of time to recover ................., I don't see any issues at all.
And it sounds like TC has defined "plenty of time to recover", so we're good!

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I think there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding cannabis caused by years of fear mongering. Do I think you can show up high and perform normally? Not a chance, same as alcohol. Get out of my cockpit. But if you are a casual user, smart about how and when you consume with plenty of time to recover (I'm talking both cannabis and alcohol), I don't see any issues at all. .

S.
Ok Mr Casual user. Let’s say you show up rested and smoked a bowl the night before a late start pairing and you feel that it’s been enough time and that you’re perfectly fit for duty.

It’s a bad day outside and the runway in YUL is slippery and then through no fault of your own, you blow a tire on the takeoff run and have to execute a high speed RTO. You perform to the best of your abilities but due to conditions (x-wind, shitty runway maintenance, etc) you veered off and the plane is in the snow bank. 1 500 000$ damage to wing, eng nacelle, etc
TC pulls your blood and it shows THC.

Are you ready and willing to deal with the consequences? Lawsuits, career ruined, getting financially stressed, seeing your name in the newspaper...Remember, as of now, ALPA and most unions will not fight for you in this case.
If so, then smoke away my friend.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PilotDAR wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm
But if you are a casual user, smart about how and when you consume with plenty of time to recover ................., I don't see any issues at all.
Instead of "bottle to throttle" -- the new acronym will be "toke to yoke" :mrgreen:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:44 pm

I think there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding cannabis caused by years of fear mongering. Do I think you can show up high and perform normally? Not a chance, same as alcohol. Get out of my cockpit. But if you are a casual user, smart about how and when you consume with plenty of time to recover (I'm talking both cannabis and alcohol), I don't see any issues at all. .

S.
Ok Mr Casual user. Let’s say you show up rested and smoked a bowl the night before a late start pairing and you feel that it’s been enough time and that you’re perfectly fit for duty.

It’s a bad day outside and the runway in YUL is slippery and then through no fault of your own, you blow a tire on the takeoff run and have to execute a high speed RTO. You perform to the best of your abilities but due to conditions (x-wind, shitty runway maintenance, etc) you veered off and the plane is in the snow bank. 1 500 000$ damage to wing, eng nacelle, etc
TC pulls your blood and it shows THC.

Are you ready and willing to deal with the consequences? Lawsuits, career ruined, getting financially stressed, seeing your name in the newspaper...Remember, as of now, ALPA and most unions will not fight for you in this case.
If so, then smoke away my friend.
No, which is why I don't smoke weed in this current climate of fear regarding regulations and the risks to my license. But, playing devils advocate, I would argue that a normal investigation would need to be started, no different than if they had alcohol in their system. Questions regarding when they used, how much and proper blood sampling would need to be considered. On top of that, the nature of the accident, as you described may have been beyond the control of any pilot.

TC, before implementing any abstination regulations should be investigating this in the simulator utilizing a controlled environment so they can guage impairement and implement more scientific limitations on the use of cannabis. If at the end of an unbiased study the conclusion remains that a pilots ability is so impaired beyond initial use that it is unsafe to consume cannabis with 28 days of operating, then restrict it as so.

We have an 8 hour bottle to throttle limitation, I don't see why cannabis users can't be given a more limiting but reasonable reprieve for cannabis use.
PilotDAR wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm
That's part of the study that needs to be looked at. I don't have any studies infront of me regarding "plenty of time to recover" but I think it's important because I can guarantee you just like pilots abusing the 8 hour bottle to throttle rule (I'm not talking about pilots drinking inside 8 hours, I'm talking about the bbq benders or northern crew houses on a weather day), there are pilots who continue to use cannbis and need to be aware when it may be too close to call when it comes to operating. For instance the difference in impairement between a joint the night before, or an edible can be exponentially different and needs to be discussed openly.

Any volunteers?

Hehe.

S.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm 8 hour bottle to throttle rule
It's 12 hours and you still have to be fit to fly.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Come on lightweights it's easy, just don't make it obvious you smoke weed. Working so far for me, no FO has seen any degraded performance in me.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:40 pm Come on lightweights it's easy, just don't make it obvious you smoke weed. Working so far for me, no FO has seen any degraded performance in me.
Must just be the companies you're applying to that notice :lol:

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

What about AMEs? Any limitations wrt their consumptions in the law?

Going for the deck at corner
SRV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SRV »

How will this be enforceable besides the honour system? It is legal and could go to the human rights commission for a verdict if random (very expensive) sampling is enacted by an operator.

Certainly not all operators will fork out the money for an internal process.

A bit knee jerk to pacify joe/Jane public. Not scientific at all.

Couldn't Stand the Weather
Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

AuxBatOn wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:29 pm What about AMEs? Any limitations wrt their consumptions in the law?
When I get out my snaggin’ pen, those AMEs gonna need the weed

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Heliian wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm 8 hour bottle to throttle rule
It's 12 hours and you still have to be fit to fly.
Well then... :drinkers: :smt037

S.

Return to “General Comments”