Looking into Rotational positions for FO

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mtruchon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Looking into Rotational positions for FO

Post by mtruchon »

I’ve been trying to find information about rotational jobs available for first officers. I have seen posts about such positions for AC’s mainly. I think air inuit and PAL are some operators with rotational jobs. Any other operators I should know about? Also, what is the main hiring season for most operator, spring time?

I’m looking for a position that would be available to someone in the 200-250hrs range. I have 13 years experience in military aviation, 10 as an avionics tech(no civ licence) and 3 as a flight engineers on helicopters. Looking at releasing from the military around March-April 2020. Also bilingual. Would this kind of experience help in getting a first job? I’m not against starting on the ramp, but I’ve done quite a bit of it already and at 36, I’m really looking for a flying position. Interested in flying up north.

Looking at tips and suggestions.

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Looking into Rotational positions for FO

Post by Tuza »

If you’ve got a MIFR with those hours and all your previous credentials - you’re golden! I don’t know the hiring seasons as I went the instructor route but anyone up north def will take you as well as there are plenty of rotation based companies out of Sask, WPG, and YYC/YEG.

Some off the top of my head are Perimeter - WPG, Kenn Borek - YYC - fly out of Nunavut, Westwinds - out of La Ronge I believe, Transwest - out of Saskatoon (although I might be mixing it up with La Ronge and WW out of Toon town), various survey positions all throughout Alberta and Sask, and hordes more I can’t think of now and am too lazy to look up for you. 😜. All rotation based and usually anywhere from 2 weeks- 3 week rotation. These guys are all actively hiring to-date.

Good luck! You’re more than def qualified in today’s market!

LittleNelly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LittleNelly »

Definitely look into Air Inuit. 2 weeks on, 2 off. Rotation out of YUL or YQB, ZED fares with AC and Westjet allow you to live pretty much anywhere.
If you want to fly in the North that’s the place to be. Off strip, sched, cargo, medevac, charter, you’ll do it all. They treat you well, lots of experienced pilots that spend their career there.

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

PAL does rotational out of YBX on the 1900D. 2weeks on/2 weeks off, and they will rotate you from anywhere on the PAL network. Bilingual is a great asset flying on the Quebec North Shore.

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

Check out First Air and Canadian North, rotations out of Iqaluit.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

PAL may be a perfect fit for you with the surveillance work they do with king airs and dash 8’s

mtruchon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mtruchon »

Thank you everyone for the information. I obviously won't have enough experience for some of those jobs but it gives me a better idea of what's available out there and helps me narrow my search.

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

Both First Air and Canadian North have been hiring some 250 hr pilots to the right seat of the ATR and Dash-8. Obviously some risk of a layoff with both companies though given the merger is going ahead.

mtruchon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mtruchon »

Really!?! Didn’t think right seat with 250hrs was even a possibility on those airframes. It seems to be a rarity even on the beech 1900. Good to know.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

In those instances it's not what you know, it's who you know.

mjankovic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mjankovic »

Pretty much true. I got a shot with Canadian North for dash 8 with 250 hrs, passed first interview and then blew it big in sim.

mtruchon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mtruchon »

I keep hearing that it’s about who you know. Too bad for me I know few people yet.

I know a few people at a good charter operation that could give me good chances to start on the pc-12 which is a pretty good option. But I’d like to find a rotational job if possible so I can live with my spouse on time off and then there’s no need to pay for 2 places. I currently live in Quebec City and she’s in Moncton. Jobs seem to be limited there unless you want to be an instructor(which I’d like to do part time or later on as a semi-retirement job). Voyageur are asking for min 500 hours on their medevac king air which seems to be non negotiable amongst medevac operations.

It’s too bad the sim didn’t work out. I imagine it’s not easy to go from small aircrafts to a dash 8 with only 250 hours. Any pointers on how to prepare for a sim session in the unlikely event(lack of contacts) I get an interview/sim session with at 250hrs?

What’s your opinion on the value of my flying hours as a military flight engineer? I’ll have 550-650hrs on the bell 412 by the time I get out(I know it’s not a traditional FE position like on the Hercules or Auroras). Let’s say a job ask for 500 hrs and I have 250, can it make up for some of the experience required? I haven’t been able to find that kind of information yet. From what I understand so far, some experience requirements are flexible, others are not for insurance reasons(i.e medevac).

mjankovic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mjankovic »

mtruchon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:49 pm I keep hearing that it’s about who you know. Too bad for me I know few people yet.

I know a few people at a good charter operation that could give me good chances to start on the pc-12 which is a pretty good option. But I’d like to find a rotational job if possible so I can live with my spouse on time off and then there’s no need to pay for 2 places. I currently live in Quebec City and she’s in Moncton. Jobs seem to be limited there unless you want to be an instructor(which I’d like to do part time or later on as a semi-retirement job). Voyageur are asking for min 500 hours on their medevac king air which seems to be non negotiable amongst medevac operations.

It’s too bad the sim didn’t work out. I imagine it’s not easy to go from small aircrafts to a dash 8 with only 250 hours. Any pointers on how to prepare for a sim session in the unlikely event(lack of contacts) I get an interview/sim session with at 250hrs?

What’s your opinion on the value of my flying hours as a military flight engineer? I’ll have 550-650hrs on the bell 412 by the time I get out(I know it’s not a traditional FE position like on the Hercules or Auroras). Let’s say a job ask for 500 hrs and I have 250, can it make up for some of the experience required? I haven’t been able to find that kind of information yet. From what I understand so far, some experience requirements are flexible, others are not for insurance reasons(i.e medevac).
Not easy at all, especially because Canadian North does evaluation in 737 sim. They have no sim for dash 8.
But apart from them (where I know somebody) nobody else contacted me. My guess is that hours you will have are definitely helpful in some way.

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

mtruchon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:49 pm I keep hearing that it’s about who you know. Too bad for me I know few people yet.

I know that Military are a different sort when getting into civilian world. My spouse was at 410 albeit not a pilot. The link below should help you get started regarding what crosses over. Since you were on a bell, you’d need a conversion at minimum. But this should help you out at least in the meantime.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 7fd#421_26

There is a fair bit of work in Northern Ontario/Quebec and Iqaluit but you’d have to look for your particular offerings.

Good luck. Welcome to civi life. Hope you like it. 😜

mtruchon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mtruchon »

I’ve read those reference many times and it doesn’t really apply to my situation since I’m not a military pilot. Maybe my FE experience is worth nothing in terms of flying hours but it shows my experience in multi-crew, CRM, etc.

Currently overseas on a 8 month tour until September then I’ll put it my release paperwork once I’m back home. Not back to the civilian life just yet, that will wait until next spring.

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

mtruchon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:35 pm I’ve read those reference many times and it doesn’t really apply to my situation since I’m not a military pilot. Maybe my FE experience is worth nothing in terms of flying hours but it shows my experience in multi-crew, CRM, etc.

Currently overseas on a 8 month tour until September then I’ll put it my release paperwork once I’m back home. Not back to the civilian life just yet, that will wait until next spring.

Right (about civi life). I don’t think - and I honestly don’t know every single aviation outfit in Canada - that there aren’t any FE jobs avail. They phased those out years ago. Unless you get into SAR and related fields (all
Medevacs require 500 hr min with CPL) which I would think utilizes them. And sorry, I thought I saw about FE in there as that was what I googled. I’m not looking up all the CARs as much as I love Air Law! 🤪

Well you have some time so I guess keep asking around. Or you could ask former members that have left to civil aviation as there’s a lot of them and they would def know better than I.

Anyway good luck!

olldupp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by olldupp »

Hey,

I was just wondering which school you're doing your training at? How far along are you? Are you planning on using your VAC benefits for the training?

I'm in a similar boat as you, my 12 year contract will be up in July 2020 and I'd love to go work up north!

mtruchon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mtruchon »

I’m training at a school in Québec city. Did my PPL and CPL training there. Did my commercial flight test a few weeks ago, just missing some hours. Currently finishing MIFR in Cornwall, did my multi flight test yesterday.

Not using any of the VAC benefits, didn’t want to wait until my release to start training and they won’t pay for training done before getting released. I got deployed overseas for 8 months this year, pays for a good chunk of the training. Thought my RRP was due this December but apparently it’s not due until next December. I’ll see if I can’t get out of it, military didn’t make me sign the right paperwork when I OT’d to flight engineer.

Return to “Employment Forum”