Gate checking carry on in Canada

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Gate checking carry on in Canada

Post by digits_ »

I'm wondering if there are any rules that prevent airlines from gate checking carry on bags on the smaller regional carriers.

You've probably all seen the mess created by carry on bags that barely fit in an CRJ overhead bin. Bags that fit flawlessly in a A32x or B7x7 but bearly fit in anything smaller.

In the US it is common that the airline allows/recommends people to gate check their bag. It works really wel. The thing that comes closest in Canada, is the "we have a full flight, come to the counter and we will check your bag through to your final destination", which is not the same, as it still forces you to wait at the baggage belt.

Is there some Canadian rule that does not allow gate checking? Do handlers make it excessively expensive?
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Gate checking carry on in Canada

Post by lownslow »

If you mean handing off your carry-on at the gate to go somewhere other than the passenger cabin then picking it up at the arrival gate then Porter does it. I suspect most of our airports just aren’t designed to efficiently handle that sort of thing.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:44 pm If you mean handing off your carry-on at the gate to go somewhere other than the passenger cabin then picking it up at the arrival gate then Porter does it. I suspect most of our airports just aren’t designed to efficiently handle that sort of thing.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

I've seen Jazz do it with a stroller once, but that seemed to be quite the exception. Glad to hear it is at least allowed here as well.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Jazz does it on the dash-8. Put your bag on the cart before boarding and grab it once you get off

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Usually in place at airports without jet bridges. They leave a cart by the door. Did it all the time in NB when I worked for jazz.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

I fly a CRJ. We do gate checks literally every single flight.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Interesting. Must have something to do with the airports I frequent then.

Thank you for all the info!

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I'll agree I tend to not see it out of YYZ YWG YVR. I always assume cause their at the jet bridge and the ground crew doesn't want to carry them down one at a time.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 pm I'll agree I tend to not see it out of YYZ YWG YVR. I always assume cause their at the jet bridge and the ground crew doesn't want to carry them down one at a time.
Isn't that what that slidey-ramp beside the stairs from the jet bridge is for?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

photofly wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm Isn't that what that slidey-ramp beside the stairs from the jet bridge is for?
That's exactly what it's for.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

It’s a dumb system, people are bringing larger than ever carry on bags now that don’t even fit in the overheads and god help them if they need to put something at their feet, but no airline wants to be the bad guy and reduce the size limits.

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

Can confirm Air Canada/Jazz has gate check like you are talking about offered on all Dash 8 classic flights and all CRJ 200 flights. Q400 flights operating from Montreal to Billy Bishop also offer this service.

As you stated, agents will usually be helpful in checking your bag to the destination (but it will arrive at the baggage carousel) on all other flights. Of course they will offer to gate check strollers/wheelchairs as needed.

Can’t agree more that the amount and size of carry on bags is getting hard to manage.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Just to be clear about this, there are 2 types of service provided.
"Skycheck" service as noted above is provided by Air Canada Express on 37 and 50 seat Dash8100/300's (the so called Classic) and 50 seat CRJ100/200's. This service is provided on Express Q400's but only on YTZ - YUL flights. With Skycheck you simply leave your bag on the Skycheck cart at the bottom of the airstair door when your flight is operating open ramp or just outside the aircraft door when your flight is operating from a jetway bridge. When arriving at your destination, you claim your bag in the same location as you dropped it off. Works pretty slick except it can make for some crowded jet bridges when deplaning while passengers wait for their bags to be delivered from the cargo hold. Skycheck service is provided no charge and a baggage tag is not required.
"Gate check" bags are checked and tagged at the bridgehead podium by airline staff and then carried to the aircraft door by the passenger. These bags must then be claimed off of the baggage carousel on arrival. Gate check service is provided on most Air Canada mainline flights and all Express CRJ900 and Q400 flights except for YTZ. There are also times (all too frequent) when a carry-on bag is brought to the aircraft that is simply too large to fit in an overhead bin, or all the space is already full. These bags are tagged and removed from the cabin for loading in the cargo hold.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rxl wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 am Just to be clear about this, there are 2 types of service provided.
"Skycheck" service

These bags are tagged and removed from the cabin for loading in the cargo hold.
Using your terminology, I was talking about the "skycheck" service.

The bags that are too large to fit in the overhead, do they end up at the door when exiting the plane, or at the baggage carousel?

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 am
rxl wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 am Just to be clear about this, there are 2 types of service provided.
"Skycheck" service

These bags are tagged and removed from the cabin for loading in the cargo hold.
Using your terminology, I was talking about the "skycheck" service.

The bags that are too large to fit in the overhead, do they end up at the door when exiting the plane, or at the baggage carousel?
Sky check service will be on the cart outside the aircraft, or on the bridge (depending on what plane you are on).

Gate check will be on the baggage carousel.

“The bags that are too large to fit in the overhead” - again it depends on the aircraft if these are considered sky check or gate check. Myself and someone else had a pretty good description in the previous comments on which aircraft at AC/Jazz offer sky check.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Canuck1988 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 am
“The bags that are too large to fit in the overhead” - again it depends on the aircraft if these are considered sky check or gate check. Myself and someone else had a pretty good description in the previous comments on which aircraft at AC/Jazz offer sky check.
What about on a Jazz CRJ900?

My original question has been answered, so thank you for that. I noticed a long fight with the overhead bins with multiple pax trying to squeeze in their bags on the CRJ900. It can't have been efficient to let everyone try and fight. And those poor FAs basically ended up re arranging the whole airplane to try and make everything fit. Would have been much quicker to have a cart there to put the bags on in my opinion.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

In response to digits_ ... To be honest I'm not sure.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 am
Canuck1988 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 am
My original question has been answered, so thank you for that. I noticed a long fight with the overhead bins with multiple pax trying to squeeze in their bags on the CRJ900. It can't have been efficient to let everyone try and fight. And those poor FAs basically ended up re arranging the whole airplane to try and make everything fit. Would have been much quicker to have a cart there to put the bags on in my opinion.
It’s an inefficient system especially when a whole bunch don’t fit. In a perfect world everybody just gets on and sits down. However people want to make sure they have the things with them for a more comfortable flight.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Not really, from what I can tell most people don't use anything from their carry on. They just don't want to wait at the baggage belt or pay the checked in baggage fee. If it takes 2 people to squeeze a bag in the overhead compartment, I'm pretty sure nobody will touch that bag until the flight is over.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm Not really, from what I can tell most people don't use anything from their carry on. They just don't want to wait at the baggage belt or pay the checked in baggage fee. If it takes 2 people to squeeze a bag in the overhead compartment, I'm pretty sure nobody will touch that bag until the flight is over.
That's not it when I fly. I have flown internationally a fair bit. I check a main bag, onboard I bring a modest backpack with iPad, my work notes, medicines, and all documents, + a good change of clothes. No way I check the valuables, the change of clothes is essential if my bag doesn't show. And it happens.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”