Logging hours towards CPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Logging hours towards CPL

Post by studentpil0t »

Guys help me out here.

I already have a PPL/IR (FAA based) which I've already validated to Canadian versions. Looking back at my log book every flight I had after the issuance of my PPL was logged as PIC+DUAL or only PIC since it was still the same class/rating aircraft. Mind you these flights were all towards my IR so a CFII was onboard & I was under the hood for most of the time.

However I understand that you can't log both dual and PIC at the same time here in Canada? So I'm yet to conclude my research on the FAR/CAR law differences but I believe one should log all my time with my FI as dual in my Canadian log book and not PIC unless I'm flying solo, correct?

Regards.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Logging hours towards CPL

Post by photofly »

You are correct: Transport Canada recognizes only one pilot as PIC. If you were receiving dual instruction that would be your instructor.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

studentpil0t wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm However I understand that you can't log both dual and PIC at the same time here in Canada?
Make sure you're not confusing yourself with where you put your names. A lot of schools encourages the students to put your name in the PIC column even if you log time as dual, just to show that you were the one flying the aircraft that leg...

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

photofly wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:44 am You are correct: Transport Canada recognizes only one pilot as PIC. If you were receiving dual instruction that would be your instructor.
So ultimately Transport Canada want the student to hour build and do solo air work up until a minimum of 100 hours PIC?

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

Now beginning to wonder whether the 20 hours of instrument time they require under the 65 with an instructor is something I’ve satisfied since I’ve flown countless hours in real and simulated instrument with an instructor only thing is that was in the FAA world...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

studentpil0t wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:57 am Now beginning to wonder whether the 20 hours of instrument time they require under the 65 with an instructor is something I’ve satisfied since I’ve flown countless hours in real and simulated instrument with an instructor only thing is that was in the FAA world...
If you have logged it, and if it was in a real airplane (not simulator), it shouldn't be a problem.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
nicklee3272
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nicklee3272 »

If i can recall correctly, Canada will recognize licenses but not training hours towards a license, so your training hours may not count for dual time in the ptr but will count towards your tt for cpl. Sorry i can't source the info at the moment. Maybe someone can clarify.

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

I’ll ask a professional at Transport Canada.

SamyJee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SamyJee »

Hi studentpilOt, any feedback from TC?

studentpil0t
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by studentpil0t »

SamyJee wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:13 am Hi studentpilOt, any feedback from TC?
Waiting on a response

Return to “Flight Training”