QUick Question around time off during training

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

HeloRyGuy
Rank 0
Rank 0

QUick Question around time off during training

Post by HeloRyGuy »

Hi Everyone,

I've recently made it to the interview stage and had a quick question ofr those that have been through the NavCanada ATS training.

My sister is getting married next year in April and the wedding is in St. Maarten. If I get into training, is there a chance for me to take off 3 days, run down to the wedding and come back? Have you seen anyone take time off in training who had vacations already planned?
---------- ADS -----------

rwrink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: QUick Question around time off during training

Post by rwrink »

Won’t be a problem.
Cheers

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

rwrink wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:11 pm Won’t be a problem.
Cheers
Can you elaborate? It was my understanding that trainees don't get any vacation days during their training.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

It depends on which stage of training you're in.

I can't speak specifically about how vacations are handled during the classroom and simulator portion of training (6-12+ months depending on IFR/VFR). Generally speaking, however, the instructors will support you fulfilling family obligations, but if there's an evaluation on Monday, and you need to be out of the country for the weekend, there may be challenges accommodating that.

During the OJT phase of training you're definitely entitled to time off and should take some. You're an employee, it's a (hard) job, time off is important. If someone tried to tell you that being away for a few days will sewer your training, they're either being an a** or you're already in trouble and you should probably take some time off and regroup. Often by the time we recognize pending burnout, it's too late.

Good luck, study hard, eat right, get a good sleep: control the things you can control.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I can't really even believe after someone has gone thru all the hoops and gotten to the training stage at Nav Canada that they would actually ask for time off for a wedding. The last time I re-arranged my life for a wedding they divorced after 3 months anyway. I could see if a loved one was dying in the hospital but a wedding? I've always been confused on why couples plan these far away "destination" weddings and then they wonder why everyone can't make it. I'm sure your sister would understand the reason why you couldn't go.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 pm The last time I re-arranged my life for a wedding they divorced after 3 months
:rolleyes: What did you do?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:23 pm
jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 pm The last time I re-arranged my life for a wedding they divorced after 3 months
:rolleyes: What did you do?
It was my brothers wedding..........honest

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 pm I can't really even believe after someone has gone thru all the hoops and gotten to the training stage at Nav Canada that they would actually ask for time off for a wedding. The last time I re-arranged my life for a wedding they divorced after 3 months anyway.
If one is inclined to be quite so cynical, remember that the drop-out rate for ATC training is about 90% so my money is on the marriage lasting longer than the OP's ATC career. Ditch the training and go to your sister's wedding.
I've always been confused on why couples plan these far away "destination" weddings and then they wonder why everyone can't make it. I'm sure your sister would understand the reason why you couldn't go.
Why? Precisely because half the people one has to invite won't be able to make it. The tricky part is engineering things so that it's the desired half of the invitees that won't be able to come.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Never thought of it that way. Hopefully the people you don't want to come can't make it but you still invited them and therefore don't look like a jerk. "Oh, I'm so sorry you can't make it, I had no idea you had other important things going on in your life. :lol: "

Return to “ATS Question Forum”