IATRA/ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

IATRA/ATPL

Post by AirDoan »

I have two questions I’ve not really found definitive answers for. Probably just missing something.

I’m getting close to the 750 to write the ATPLs all VFR. I have also in the last few months completed my Multi and INRAT but not my IFR training. Long story short my school that I more or less have to go through has been dropping the ball pretty badly (I was delayed when the twin was down for basically 4 months of maintenance when I was told 2 weeks so I ran out of time before the jump season and was given very incorrect SOPs to memorize in that time which caused the training to take twice as long/cost twice as much as it should have due to the mental habits that got reinforced). Right now I’m flying skydivers racking up my PIC. Don’t want to give that up and the school is 2.5 hours away. Thus I now must wait till the end of the season to finish my Group 1. In the mean time I would like to prepare for the next job search. And that will require either the IATRA or ATPLs.

First question is this. Can I take an ATPL course and write the exams before completing my IFR rating it self? I know the ATPL itself requires the rating but I can’t seem to find anything that precludes writing the exams. But maybe I’m just not seeing it. And is Harv's course descent? Used for my INRAT and worked.

And confirming that writing the ATPL exams would give the same ability to work in a 2 crew environment like the IATRA would, even if I don’t have the ATPL it self?
---------- ADS -----------

Leroi51
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IATRA/ATPL

Post by Leroi51 »

Hi,
1) You don't need IR Rating to write ATPL exam all you need is the total number of hours, In order for you to get ATPL license, you would need all the hours including IR rating. ATPL license has complicated requirements. Buy Sharperedge ATPL book all the requirements are listed on the very first page of the book. Very good for both IATRA and ATPL.
2) ATPL license gives you the privilege to fly as PIC for any airliners. As far as I know, you can work in a 2-3 crew environment if you have all exams passed.

I hope that answers your question.

Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

Leroi51 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:28 pm Hi,
1) You don't need IR Rating to write ATPL exam all you need is the total number of hours
Wrong, you only need 50% of the total number of hours required for the licence.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think that's what the OP meant. 750 hours required to write...

Remember also, you have to get a type rating to "lock in your exams" if you don't have the hours to get your ATPL before the exams "expire"... is it a year? or 2? I can't recall. or maybe it changed... It would suck to have to do it again...

Also, your school sucks. You're the customer, if they're screwing up, cancelling training, giving bad info, or dropping the ball, go somewhere else... and SOPs for a MIFR? Since when?

Leroi51
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Leroi51 »

Scuderia wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am
Leroi51 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:28 pm Hi,
1) You don't need IR Rating to write ATPL exam all you need is the total number of hours
Wrong, you only need 50% of the total number of hours required for the license.
Ya, I think one only need 750hr to write the exam IR is not a requirement

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

maybe off topic but dont forget you need an IFR group 1 flight test done in the a/c within 12 months of application for the license

Return to “Flight Training”