Commuting In/Out of Uniform & CATSA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Commuting In/Out of Uniform & CATSA

Post by av8ts »

ahramin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:46 pm And don't forget, if you bring liquids through security -in uniform-, they have to be hidden from the passengers. That was news to me!
Only at certain airports. This is not a Transport Canada rule but rather a rule invented by a security clown-in-charge at one airport and copied by others. YYJ, YEG, and YUL are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
It’s a TC rule. Crew in uniform are only exempt from the liquids and gels rule for items inside their bags
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

av8ts wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:16 pm
ahramin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:46 pm And don't forget, if you bring liquids through security -in uniform-, they have to be hidden from the passengers. That was news to me!
Only at certain airports. This is not a Transport Canada rule but rather a rule invented by a security clown-in-charge at one airport and copied by others. YYJ, YEG, and YUL are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
It’s a TC rule. Crew in uniform are only exempt from the liquids and gels rule for items inside their bags
Source?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

And some European countries won’t allow any deadheading crew an exemption even if they are in uniform. The clowns at LGW cost me about $50 with everything they threw out. And every country in Europe seems to be different in what and when they allow it.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

No airport in the UK has any exemptions for any crews. Operating or not, in or out of uniform. Local or foreign. Anything over the limits must be checked.

Is there any country outside Canada that has exemptions for Canadian crews deadheading?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

ahramin wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am No airport in the UK has any exemptions for any crews. Operating or not, in or out of uniform. Local or foreign. Anything over the limits must be checked.

Is there any country outside Canada that has exemptions for Canadian crews deadheading?
Everywhere in the Caribbean, U.S.A, Germany and the Netherlands. Other than that I’m not sure.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Yes, YQR seems to be especially strict. I was going through security with the crew one time in YQR, and in a very dramatic way, the CATSA agent asked the guy I was flying with "Is there something sharp in your lunch bag???"....He responded "uh...no, I don't think so"....She dramatically opened the lunch bag, searched through it, found his butter knife, and said "well what do you call this???"....and then confiscated his butter knife. The fork was okay though...

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Similar thing happened to me through YOW. Scanned my bag and took the butter knife I'd been carrying around for a month but the fork was fine. They also scolded us for not taking out our iPads. We were an entire operating crew.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Anytime I felt like they were going too far I would demand to see their supervisor.
They backed down - always.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

There's no rule from TC against butter knives.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

The power tripping of these guys is unbelievable.

I've traveled all over the world and CATSA is among if not the worst. Brutally poorly trained and unprofessional.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Did the butter knife have an airline logo on it? The same butter knife that will be handed out to the entire business class once the door is closed and locked? Geez! Imagine if someone brought that on board, the danger, dear God save us. I too have had such weaponry in my fingertips, although if I needed an instrument of destruction, I think I'd favour the fire axe.

I love how when they ask "computer? " and I say "iPad, no keyboard" they roll their eyes. Duh. Are you new? IPads don't count, moron. Unless there's a keyboard attached, then it's safety critical. At another airport, "computer?"... "iPad, no keyboard" you get given the gears "an iPad is a computer! What didn't you understand? Get it out of your bag now!" and eye rolling, what are you? New? Idiot.

I just can't win.

Funny because the #1 thing that provides the greatest level of safety and in an immensely wide variety of different ways is the flight crew. I am the safety and security of the travelling public. And yet I'm treated like an inmate in a prison. Can't let the pilot have a butter knife, think of what he/she could do with it. It's just not safe.

If some air crew wanted to do something nefarious, they dont need a butter knife, don't even need an axe, they don't need anything. They're sitting at the controls. In fact they don't even need to do anything, it's by neglecting to do any number of many important and skillful things that they could allow a situation to develop which would be tremendously more severe than anything you could accomplish with 100ml of shave cream - or even with (que horror music) a butter knife.

It's honestly insulting the level of trust placed in us as professionals, yet the lack of trust afforded us with shaving cream and the same butter knife everyone on board is provided.

Its sort of like not allowing a doctor to have any sharp instruments. Hey, he could hurt someone! But then letting the guy conduct surgery.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The idea is not that you would use the knife to carsh your airplane, but that you would give the knife to another passenger on another flight so they can attempt to hijack the flight.

But it's still ridiculous. If you can do it with a butter knife, you can do it without a butter knife as well ;-)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

I debate a security matter with CATSA HQ when I was with the airline. I asked them to show me the regulations applicable in the matter and I was told that CATSA regulations are classified. So as an aircrew, you are required to abide by CATSA regulations but you are not entitled to known what these regulations are. This is how f.u. this organization is.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Mooney21 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 am I debate a security matter with CATSA HQ when I was with the airline. I asked them to show me the regulations applicable in the matter and I was told that CATSA regulations are classified. So as an aircrew, you are required to abide by CATSA regulations but you are not entitled to known what these regulations are. This is how f.u. this organization is.
That answer was 100% poppycock. They are called Canadian Aviation Security Regulations and they are posted just like all other federal laws.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... lText.html

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

ahramin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm
ahramin wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:26 pm Only at certain airports. This is not a Transport Canada rule but rather a rule invented by a security clown-in-charge at one airport and copied by others. YYJ, YEG, and YUL are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Source?
Section 25 of the Screening Security Measures states that the LAGS (liquids/gels) must be in the crew members carry-on baggage

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Thank you.

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

If you bring too much liquid, the TSA confiscates it and throws it away, in case it's a bomb. So they throw it away, in case it's a bomb, in the garbage can right next to them. With all the other possible bombs, in the area with the most amount of people.

#TSAlogic

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CATSA and the TSA are not about security. They are about the illusion of security. It's the natural reaction to the "we have to do *something*" mentality when doing nothing would be a better choice.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

av8ts wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:44 am
ahramin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Source?
Section 25 of the Screening Security Measures states that the LAGS (liquids/gels) must be in the crew members carry-on baggage
I believe that is an incorrect interpretation, as semantic as it may seem:

Liquids and gels, in whatever state they are with me, is by definition carry on baggage as it is a personal belonging that I have access to, and it may be brought. Period.
carry-on baggage means any baggage and personal belongings to which a person has or will have access on board an aircraft.
Every item you bring on board - in a bag, not in a bag, the bag, whatever state it is in, it is "carry-on baggage" by definition in the applicable regulation.

So walk on through with coffee in hand, large water bottle on top of your flight bag, and fresh tub of pomade in your pocket. However you have it, it is in your carry-on baggage.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Jumbo744 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:57 pm If you bring too much liquid, the TSA confiscates it and throws it away, in case it's a bomb. So they throw it away, in case it's a bomb, in the garbage can right next to them. With all the other possible bombs, in the area with the most amount of people.

#TSAlogic
Like the time they left a pipe bomb in a managers office for 4 days, after they initially tried to allow the passenger to have it?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.2508824

Return to “General Comments”