Sunwing Interview Process

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NG737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sunwing Interview Process

Post by NG737 »

Hey everyone
I am having an interview with Sunwing next week and would appreciate the following -

1) The interview- what kind of questions they ask? is it behavioral or past experience,
2) Technical exam/ questions- this is based on what? general tech questions or B737 based? anything from CAP GEN?
3) how long is the interview? how many in the panel?

Apart from that any idea how soon GS starts after the interview process? where do they have the SIM training etc?

I am really grateful if someone can please give me an idea. Thanks very much guys.
---------- ADS -----------

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sunwing Interview Process

Post by CXALE »

Same here, any info will be appreciated

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

NG737 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm 1) The interview- what kind of questions they ask? is it behavioral or past experience
It's a mixture of both. Lots of "Tell me about a time when..."
NG737 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm 2) Technical exam/ questions- this is based on what? general tech questions or B737 based? anything from CAP GEN?
There are some technical questions that they asked me in person (What are advantages of high-bypass turbofan engines, why are jet wings swept, what effect do 737 split scimitar winglets have over traditional winglets or no winglets at all, etc.). I would also expect some questions regarding the MAX differences now that it's in the fleet.

There was also an exam consisting of approximately 100 questions. Some of it was air law, some MET I think and some other stuff.

I was asked to brief an approach using an approach plate as well.
NG737 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm 3) how long is the interview? how many in the panel?
The whole process was a couple hours and I believe there's 2 or 3 people in the interview panel now. It was one of the most relaxed interviews I've ever done, and most people who go through the process say the same thing.
NG737 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm Apart from that any idea how soon GS starts after the interview process? where do they have the SIM training etc?
Groundschools typically start a month or so after the interview is complete, and almost all initial SIM is done in YYZ at the CAE building. Depending on availability and base assignment, there is a 737 SIM in YUL as well.

I'm not sure if they still hire this way, but they will tell you in the job offer what base you'll be at (as opposed to AC where you find out after starting the PIT course). I was offered YUL, but really wanted YYZ due to family commitments. They told me it wasn't a problem and that when the next course with YYZ spots came up, they would give me a call. True to their word, they called 2 weeks later offering me a YYZ spot.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 amI would also expect some questions regarding the MAX differences now that it's in the fleet.
Easy! The NG flies while the MAX is collecting dust.

NG737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NG737 »

Thanks DHC, appreciate your time.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Is Sunwing running any ground schools this summer or do they start in the fall?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm Is Sunwing running any ground schools this summer or do they start in the fall?
Last I heard from the rumour mill was one groundschool in mid-August and another in September. Take that with a grain of salt as it could change.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 pm Is Sunwing running any ground schools this summer or do they start in the fall?
The next groundschool starts Aug. 12th. Looks like 12 spots currently, but that can always go up or down.

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

Is Calgary a Sunwing base, and if it is could a new hire expect to be based there?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Tap wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 am Is Calgary a Sunwing base, and if it is could a new hire expect to be based there?
Calgary is a seasonal base which operates in the winter season only (October till May). A new-hire could probably get out there in their first season, but it varies year to year. Last year there were some vacancies left in YYC, so a new-hire could have been based there right away if they wanted. The remainder of the year that the base is closed (Summer), you would be based in YYZ, YUL, take an LOA or be deployed overseas.

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Does Sunwing pay for accommodation during GS/ Sim?

Free Woodpecker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Free Woodpecker »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 am
The next groundschool starts Aug. 12th. Looks like 12 spots currently, but that can always go up or down.
I received the positive post interview email and references have now been called. What is typically the next step in the hiring process and when might offers be made for any upcoming grounds schools?
Thanks!

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

CXALE wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm Does Sunwing pay for accommodation during GS/ Sim?
All new-hires are paid full salary from day one and Sunwing puts everyone up in a hotel for the duration of training.

TranquilityBase
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TranquilityBase »

CXALE wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm Does Sunwing pay for accommodation during GS/ Sim?
They will definitely pay for accommodations and per diem if you are not from the GTA, including a rental car to get to and from the CAE training center where the SIM is located. If you are paired up with someone who has a car, then the rental won't be required.

If you're from the GTA and you're paired up with someone staying at the hotel, you may ask for accommodations since there will be many hours, days and weeks that you'll both be tied at the hip for your IPT and SIM training preparation.

You'd be staying at the Holiday Inn right behind the Sunwing buildings, very convenient.

There will be numerous breaks and study days allotted during the training. If you are at the hotel, they will be ok with you going back home (at your own expense) but you'll have to notify the Crew Travel department of your dates so they can check you out of the hotel while you're away.

Hope this helps.

(Hired last fall)

PWA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PWA »

NG737 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm Hey everyone
I am having an interview with Sunwing next week and would appreciate the following -

1) The interview- what kind of questions they ask? is it behavioral or past experience,
2) Technical exam/ questions- this is based on what? general tech questions or B737 based? anything from CAP GEN?
3) how long is the interview? how many in the panel?

Apart from that any idea how soon GS starts after the interview process? where do they have the SIM training etc?

I am really grateful if someone can please give me an idea. Thanks very much guys.
So is the technical exam just a section of questions during the interview? Excuse my ignorance but this is the first I have heard of a technical exam.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I did not have a technical exam. Just a relaxed and fun straight one hour interview with four people.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am
Tap wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 am Is Calgary a Sunwing base, and if it is could a new hire expect to be based there?
Calgary is a seasonal base which operates in the winter season only (October till May). A new-hire could probably get out there in their first season, but it varies year to year. Last year there were some vacancies left in YYC, so a new-hire could have been based there right away if they wanted. The remainder of the year that the base is closed (Summer), you would be based in YYZ, YUL, take an LOA or be deployed overseas.
Does the company actually allow an LOA. How easy is it to get one?

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

hamstandard wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:56 pm
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am
Does the company actually allow an LOA. How easy is it to get one?
I'm refreshing this topic, any LOA's allowed?

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

garfield wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:59 am I'm refreshing this topic, any LOA's allowed?
They are allowed. All depends on pilot numbers. Only in summer. Some people have applied, and got it, some people refused.

Bottom line, much easier to get than other airlines, but not guaranteed.

anchovy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anchovy »

Oddly.... I received a call for an interview.

I am very happy but I say "oddly" because didn't think it would happen.

Can anyone who's had a recent interview experience PM me please? I've always been hired by word of mouth or on merit through demonstration of skills. I don't have a lot of interview experience.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Return to “Sunwing”