What to expect as a new hire

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: What to expect as a new hire

Post by Handover »

180 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am
Do you still get per diems on top of the European deployment living allowance?

Thanks.
FCMs shall receive per diems when they are on Company business away from their deployed base in accordance with Article 14.
---------- ADS -----------

Pilot011524
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot011524 »

Can someone clarify how the base structure at Sunwing works?
IE which bases are available during the winter ops and what's available for summer?

Currently in YVR and hoping to stay out here in the winter and go to Europe in the summer.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Pilot011524 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm Can someone clarify how the base structure at Sunwing works?
IE which bases are available during the winter ops and what's available for summer?
The permanent bases at Sunwing are YYZ and YUL. Everyone is assigned to one of these bases as their "permanent" base.

YVR is staffed year round, but is technically a "seasonal" base. That is, every 6 months, all pilots have the option to bid to YVR for either the summer or winter season. Although it is a seasonal base, there are pilots who have only been flying out of YVR for years. They just have to bid YVR as their seasonal base every 6 months.

I can't recall if seniority or residence status plays a role. For example, in the past, a junior pilot whose permanent home address is in the YVR area would get that base before a senior pilot who is based and lives in YYZ but wants to transfer to YVR. That may be changing to make it fair for anyone in the company to bid into YVR, regardless of where you currently live... Seniority may be the only deciding factor.

There are also rumours of making YVR an actual "permanent" base, but that has been talked about for years.

Other seasonal bases (in past winters) have been YYC, YEG (I think), YWG, YOW, YQB and YHZ. Last year it was YVR, YYC, YWG and YQB in addition to the permanent bases of YYZ and YUL.

Summer seasonal bases this year in Europe are Aberdeen, Belfast, Dublin, Norwich, Amsterdam, Katowice and Brno. Past summer bases have also included Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Nice (and some others in France I think), and some other eastern European countries which I can't remember. Again, it varies year to year based on what our European partners require.

Last year you had to be relatively senior to get a deployment overseas, and this year people were drafted to go overseas, and the draft list went almost to the top of seniority list. It all varies year to year.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:38 pm
180 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am What Union represents Sunwing pilots?
UNIFOR
180 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am Does Sunwing have YOS?
For upgrades? Yes, however while you may upgrade as a 5 year F/O (for example), you will have year 5 Captain seniority but only year 2 Captain pay. All internal upgrades at SWG start at year 2 Captain pay, regardless how long you've been with the company.
180 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am Do you still get per diems on top of the European deployment living allowance?
I'm deploying for the first time this year, so I could be wrong, but I don't believe we get "double perdiems." You get paid a set amount of money per day regardless if you're on a day off, on reserve, actually flying or even home in Canada on a stretch of days off.
Not all internal upgrades start at year 2. You only start at year 2 if you have more than 2 years at the company. And yes, you do get per diem on top of you deployment allocation.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

ant_321 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm Not all internal upgrades start at year 2. You only start at year 2 if you have more than 2 years at the company. And yes, you do get per diem on top of you deployment allocation.
Thanks for the info! Reading deeper into the CBA I see you're right about the Year 2 Captain pay. I was given some bad information verbally and took it as gospel.

Pilot011524
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot011524 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Pilot011524 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm Can someone clarify how the base structure at Sunwing works?
The permanent bases at Sunwing are YYZ and YUL. Everyone is assigned to one of these bases as their "permanent" base.

YVR is staffed year round, but is technically a "seasonal" base. That is, every 6 months, all pilots have the option to bid to YVR for either the summer or winter season. Although it is a seasonal base, there are pilots who have only been flying out of YVR for years. They just have to bid YVR as their seasonal base every 6 months.

I can't recall if seniority or residence status plays a role. For example, in the past, a junior pilot whose permanent home address is in the YVR area would get that base before a senior pilot who is based and lives in YYZ but wants to transfer to YVR. That may be changing to make it fair for anyone in the company to bid into YVR, regardless of where you currently live... Seniority may be the only deciding factor.

There are also rumours of making YVR an actual "permanent" base, but that has been talked about for years.

Other seasonal bases (in past winters) have been YYC, YEG (I think), YWG, YOW, YQB and YHZ. Last year it was YVR, YYC, YWG and YQB in addition to the permanent bases of YYZ and YUL.

Summer seasonal bases this year in Europe are Aberdeen, Belfast, Dublin, Norwich, Amsterdam, Katowice and Brno. Past summer bases have also included Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Nice (and some others in France I think), and some other eastern European countries which I can't remember. Again, it varies year to year based on what our European partners require.

Last year you had to be relatively senior to get a deployment overseas, and this year people were drafted to go overseas, and the draft list went almost to the top of seniority list. It all varies year to year.
Thanks for all the info!

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

Estimate for Monthly take home for a new hire?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Tap wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:44 pm Estimate for Monthly take home for a new hire?
I averaged over $4000 take-home per month, but I do mostly pairings and therefore per-diems are included in that figure, and I only do 3 or 4 days of OT per year.

Tooth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tooth »

Are beards allowed as aircrew?

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Tooth wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:53 pm Are beards allowed as aircrew?
Yes

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:25 am
Tooth wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:53 pm Are beards allowed as aircrew?
Yes
:supz:

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:53 am :supz:
but Mohawks are probably frowned upon...

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Handover wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:49 pm
goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:53 am :supz:
but Mohawks are probably frowned upon...
Smoking like a chimney is allowed though.

I hope you know who I'm talking about...

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

With the large outflux of senior pilots including management pilots and training department leadership folks, plus the loss of the 737 Max for this winter season (note; not just here but also overseas so how many drylease aircraft will be available to fly in Canada?) I'd be pretty wary of going to Sunwing as a new hire anytime soon. I've already heard rumors of layoffs from a few friends who are over there.

Good luck...

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/activity ... 37024-vhVT

I heard chrono aviation will also be doing some flying for them too...

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

kilocharliemike wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:50 pm https://www.linkedin.com/posts/activity ... 37024-vhVT

I heard chrono aviation will also be doing some flying for them too...
There was also a European 340 a week or so ago.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Yea - the 340 is there to clean up the mess that is Eastern airlines.

I wouldn't write off the winter season because of the Max. They will probably be flying by the end of the year, there would only be 5 or 6 in the fleet then anyways - and with such a small number - when they are cleared to fly again they will be the first ones airborne as they are in active storage....unlike Air Canada and WestJet.

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:23 pm With the large outflux of senior pilots including management pilots and training department leadership folks, plus the loss of the 737 Max for this winter season (note; not just here but also overseas so how many drylease aircraft will be available to fly in Canada?) I'd be pretty wary of going to Sunwing as a new hire anytime soon. I've already heard rumors of layoffs from a few friends who are over there.

Good luck...
Have anything of actual substance to add besides rumours? Hiring is in full swing with offers going out for multiple courses planned, starting next month and into the fall.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

boeingboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 am Yea - the 340 is there to clean up the mess that is Eastern airlines.

I wouldn't write off the winter season because of the Max. They will probably be flying by the end of the year, there would only be 5 or 6 in the fleet then anyways - and with such a small number - when they are cleared to fly again they will be the first ones airborne as they are in active storage....unlike Air Canada and WestJet.
Yes Sunwing only had 5-6 planned in the fleet however you need to remember the airlines they lease from also had a lot of MAX aircraft they were counting on. Because of that, you may see them just trying to cover their own flying in Europe and not have enough aircraft to lease to Sunwing for our winter season.

And no I can't say anything certain, it's all just rumors. However in the last 4-5 months a large amount of very Sr Captains at SW have left and joined AC including pilots who helped start the company and most recently one of the heads of the training department. If that many top seniority pilots are leaving including IIRC the number 2 guy, you might wonder why and what they might know that you don't.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Warden wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:29 am
boeingboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 am Yea - the 340 is there to clean up the mess that is Eastern airlines.

Yes Sunwing only had 5-6 planned in the fleet however you need to remember the airlines they lease from also had a lot of MAX aircraft they were counting on. Because of that, you may see them just trying to cover their own flying in Europe and not have enough aircraft to lease to Sunwing for our winter season.

And no I can't say anything certain, it's all just rumors. However in the last 4-5 months a large amount of very Sr Captains at SW have left and joined AC including pilots who helped start the company and most recently one of the heads of the training department. If that many top seniority pilots are leaving including IIRC the number 2 guy, you might wonder why and what they might know that you don't.
They might know something but probably not. The manager that left actually wasn’t very senior at all as far as the seniority list goes. And as for the senior guys (and gals) that left, there is one common theme. They have their money made. I know two of them have said the only reason they left was to do something different and they could afford the the 200-400k paycut.

Return to “Sunwing”