The Ol' PFO

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: The Ol' PFO

Post by DanWEC »

Wow.
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm Got the PFO a few days ago. College Diploma. 1000 hrs RJ PIC. Clean flight tests record. Had many training Captains as my references. Interview I thought went amazing. Very confused with the results. I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.
Are you still going to make that 5 year 0 to hero plan you were trying to sell people on?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

martinez wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 pm I'm assuming your from Jazz with the RJ time. Is it true that AC has to take 90% of those at jazz that have the minimum experience as stated on the job posting and apply?
60% of all spots at AC will go to Jazz. 90% of eligible pilots who apply from Jazz will be hired.

SAExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SAExpress »

I got PFO’d 7 years ago. Went and got another job, had a great time but still wanted to go to AC and decided to re-apply. Got the job the second time around. So like everyone says, keep trying. You’ll get another shot.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm Got the PFO a few days ago. College Diploma. 1000 hrs RJ PIC. Clean flight tests record. Had many training Captains as my references. Interview I thought went amazing. Very confused with the results. I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.
What was your post-secondary? Aviation diploma? Any second languages? Total time?
The AC hiring matrix can be a bit mystifying.

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

Damn those haters pounce quick haha. I have thick skin so it doesn't affect me. Just a tip, it always pays to be nice. You don't have to be nice to me, just be nice to anyone offering help.

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

plhought wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:43 am
What was your post-secondary? Aviation diploma? Any second languages? Total time?
The AC hiring matrix can be a bit mystifying.
Yes post secondary aviation diploma. Total time 3500hrs. English only.
It is totally a mystery and I don't take it personally. I know my worth. I don't feel dumber or smarter than a current AC pilot. It is 99% timing.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:48 am It is totally a mystery
:lol: We may never know.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:48 am I don't take it personally.
You probably should. Regardless of meeting the bare minimum requirements, anyone that actually has "haters" should probably focus their lens on themselves.

Wishing you the best.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:17 pm
TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:48 am I don't take it personally.
You probably should. Regardless of meeting the bare minimum requirements, anyone that actually has "haters" should probably focus their lens on themselves.

Wishing you the best.
I like to think a big thing they look at is: Do I want to sit next to this guy for the next 5 hours? or go for a layover with this guy?

Sometimes they get it right...

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.
The level of entitlement here is shocking..

Sounds like the hiring board did a fine job.

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Why would you call yourself dashtrash ? I respect the aircraft I fly and would never give it such a name. If you can do that to your own aircraft it is clear you don't even respect others.

DanWEC...I usually just ignore your posts as everyone knows you're the biggest troll on avcanada.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

I think any time you get a “no thanks” from a prospective employer after going through their selection process, it is worth taking a look at yourself. There’s always a reason, even if you’re not immediately privy to it. The issue of “timing” is what hiring pools are for. Everyone can and should learn from these situations.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:47 am you're the biggest troll on avcanada.
Thank you so much! Coming from you that's high praise.
Gonna be some bounce in my step today!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOL... way to go DanWEC!

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

I've never applied to Air Canada or Westjet. Im happy with where Im at now and plan on staying there for good. Sure if things change in the future I'll open the doors. But for now, if AC or WJ wants to hire me, they need to come find me, Im not going to them. Cheers 8)

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

northernpilot2 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am I've never applied to Air Canada or Westjet. Im happy with where Im at now and plan on staying there for good. Sure if things change in the future I'll open the doors. But for now, if AC or WJ wants to hire me, they need to come find me, Im not going to them. Cheers 8)
I was once like you. Now my friends are all NB Captains and I'm a new hire.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Sometimes people are doing you a favour - takes a few years to realise it sometimes.

I've been turned down by Airlines all over the world.

A number went bankrupt and a number became terrible places to work as the wrong people made it to the top.

I've dodged quite a few bullets so far in my career - very glad certain companies didn't hire me.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

dashtrash1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 am
TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.
The level of entitlement here is shocking..

Sounds like the hiring board did a fine job.
I think you hit the nail on the head there DT. Sometimes things aren't in the "matrix" 👍

Also I think the Aviation "Diploma" has lost a lot of its luster. Degrees and other varied post-secondary are still highly weighted at AC.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

plhought wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 am Also I think the Aviation "Diploma" has lost a lot of its luster. Degrees and other varied post-secondary are still highly weighted at AC.
Surprising to hear. It was always considered quite highly before. I wonder if they look at the year you graduated now. Finishing a program like Sault used to be more challenging than it is now from what I've heard.

Return to “Air Canada”