DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: DOH merge.

Post by TFTMB heavy »

altiplano wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:40 pm
FL320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm
altiplano wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 am

I object to your false analogy.

I don't want AC to acquire Transat. Period.

Status quo, Mach, Onex, I don't care. But not AC.

I made no inference on the balance of your fallacy.
What are you afraid of?
Anyway we both know the deal with AC will be finalized at the end of the poker game; there is no need to worry so much! :goodman:
Not afraid of anything. I'm just happy with status quo.

Why do you have such a difficult time acknowledging that we're doing better without you.
There will be no status quo, someone will buy Transat. I think the safest route for AC is to be the purchaser. Onex buying Transat, whether directly or thru Mach, would not be favourable to AC.
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Warden wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:27 pm Big bid tomorrow. Apparently the biggest AC has ever had.

Get that left seat bid in before they all disappear for a decade.
Rumours have it that the company is planning to delay the bid until after the Transat shareholder vote.

During the last merge AC moved a bunch of hiring to Canadian Airlines to take pressure off the AC training department.

Transat has under utilized aircraft and a training department that isn’t way behind the power curve.

AC won’t let Transat’s under utilized fleet stay under utilized while waiting for seniority integration.

Make no mistake. If the shareholders vote yes? Some of those positions will show up on the Transat side while we await seniority integration.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I mean status quo at AC.

As I said earlier I'm unperturbed by whatever track TS takes status quo, Onex, Mach, whatever, don't care... AC is doing just fine.

It would absolutely be favourable to AC pilots however it were to come that we don't acquire TS.

I don't believe Onex is looking to acquire Transat anyway. If they were though, I don't see a downside for AC with that either. In fact I see an upside.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Transat slams Group Mach bid as ‘abusive’, says it will challenge offer with Quebec securities regulator

Mach, Transat said, would be able to exercise the voting rights of the shares tendered to it before paying for them, a “bait-and-switch” tactic.

Alfred Buggé, Mach’s vice-president of mergers and acquisitions, dismissed the Transat accusations as “posturing.” He said by phone Mach has $100-million ready to pay for the 19.5-per-cent of Transat if the Air Canada takeover is voted down. At the same time, shareholders have the right to transfer their voting privileges to Mach while retaining ownership of the shares, he said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... challenge/

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Fanblade wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
Warden wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:27 pm Big bid tomorrow. Apparently the biggest AC has ever had.

Rumours have it that the company is planning to delay the bid until after the Transat shareholder vote.

During the last merge AC moved a bunch of hiring to Canadian Airlines to take pressure off the AC training department.

Transat has under utilized aircraft and a training department that isn’t way behind the power curve.

AC won’t let Transat’s under utilized fleet stay under utilized while waiting for seniority integration.

Make no mistake. If the shareholders vote yes? Some of those positions will show up on the Transat side while we await seniority integration.
I've heard this as well... if that's the case I don't understand why they can't just do another one in October and December like they are supposed to. There are a lot of people waiting to transfer bases. They already skipped the July bid.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Warden wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 am

I've heard this as well... if that's the case I don't understand why they can't just do another one in October and December like they are supposed to. There are a lot of people waiting to transfer bases. They already skipped the July bid.
They also haven’t back filled retirements since January or so. That is part of the reason for the large bid. The cancelled bids were a result of uncertainty surrounding Transat and Max. The movement isn’t gone. It’s just pent up. They will need to start moving fast this fall and/or perhaps transfer some of the hiring to Transat.

They can actually delay this bid until Aug 24th. They don't have to wait until October. Nor will they. They can’t and make next summer work.

The rumours indicate to me that they have a plan A if Transat’s shareholders vote yes. A plan B if Transat’s shareholders say no.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Fanblade wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 am
Warden wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 am

They also haven’t back filled retirements since January or so. That is part of the reason for the large bid. The cancelled bids were a result of uncertainty surrounding Transat and Max. The movement isn’t gone. It’s just pent up. They will need to start moving fast this fall and/or perhaps transfer some of the hiring to Transat.

They can actually delay this bid until Aug 24th. They don't have to wait until October. Nor will they. They can’t and make next summer work.

The rumours indicate to me that they have a plan A if Transat’s shareholders vote yes. A plan B if Transat’s shareholders say no.
Yeah I get what you mean. It would be nice to just post the bid now and when when/if the AT vote goes through all those things can go onto the October bid.

I can't believe they haven't back filled any retirements yet. I've been checking them out every few months and the amount of widebody skippers gone is really high. This is going to be a pretty big bid, just like everyone expects, with a lot of movement.

Also if the AT merge happens, there's going to be a lot of work to do with how they integrate which will cause more bids in the future when/if the AT pilots can bid as well. So even by adding the positions to this coming bid, depending on what happens in negotiations or enforced by an arbitrator it will all change again.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Our contract language does not force AC to put out a bid every two months. They are just PLANNED bids.

Bids cause activation dates and then trigger $$$$$ down the road.

The bid may very well come out today. It may also get delayed a couple of weeks. Either one won’t likely change when people transfer equipment or base.

Actually the company will probably try to manage Transat/AC’s staffing prior to integration. So that we just slide together without excess/shortage or bumping. It is why I expect Transat will see an increase in positions if their shareholders vote yes.

Putting out a bid at AC and then reducing it and putting it on the Transat side after. Bad.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Our contract language does not force AC to put out a bid every two months. They are just PLANNED bids.

The bid may very well come out today. It may also get delayed a couple of weeks. Either one won’t likely change when people transfer equipment or base.

Actually the company will probably try to manage Transat/AC’s staffing prior to integration. So that we just slide together without excess/shortage or bumping. It is why I expect Transat will see an increase in positions if their shareholders vote yes.

Putting out a bid at AC and then reducing it and putting it on the Transat side after. Bad.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Fanblade wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 am Our contract language does not force AC to put out a bid every two months. They are just PLANNED bids.

Yeah fair enough, it is planned no required.

All in all we'll see what happens. A few weeks here nor there won't make that much of difference.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Interesting interview with Group Mach CEO on BNN today discussing their deal and plan to block the Air Canada merger. He alludes they have control or will of the required number of shares and also discusses Onex and some other industry partners to take the operation to the next level should they eventually become a majority shareholder. However, for now he states they only intend to act as a minority shareholder and to make sure the company is run properly.

I get the impression more is definitely going on behind the scenes between them and Onex.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/transat-sho ... -1.1297769

Last edited by indieadventurer on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Last edited by indieadventurer on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Go Chiarra!

Shitcan the Board and CEO who are clearly self interested in this deal with big buyouts and parachutes already negotiated. Get the most value for shareholders!

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

This is mind blowing... How could a shareholder decide to buy his shit...?

He openly lies when he says his deal is far better than the Air Canada proposed transaction... If he wins his scam the share price will plunge to its initial price... let's say 6$ in the most optimistic scenario... only 19.5% of the shares will be paid within 48h at 14$/share but all the rest will be negociated at 6$ and nobody will be willing to sell at that low price...

It is obvious that guy has no plans for the future of Transat... And why would onex need such a tool to get involved in a competition with AC...?

Something fishy in that counter offer from group Mach...

T.

indieadventurer wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:16 pm Interesting interview with Group Mach CEO on BNN today discussing their deal and plan to block the Air Canada merger. He alludes they have control or will of the required number of shares and also discusses Onex and some other industry partners to take the operation to the next level should they eventually become a majority shareholder. However, for now he states they only intend to act as a minority shareholder and to make sure the company is run properly.

I get the impression more is definitely going on behind the scenes between them and Onex.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/transat-sho ... -1.1297769

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Mach tried offering at $14 and couldn't get the time of day from the Transat executive.

He's openly advocating that Transat is poorly managed.

I can imagine it will be no golden parachutes if Mach get a foothold.

What is it in the current deal? $35+million buyout for the top few execs! That's 7% of the value of the entire AC deal! Heck of a finders fee to give it up and walk away! No wonder they prefer AC!

With the large institutional shareholders publicly against the deal already, I think there significant likelihood that this won't pass as is.

Plus up to another 19.5% against if Mach fills their order for these share proxies? And I think they will, some are going to be happy with the certainty to get out at $14, considering they would have took $13, and rather than risk not getting anything for a year and have the deal fall through in the regulatory process.

If I hold TS shares this is a no-brainer.

Out now for a certainty of $14,
Or stay in for a likelihood of $13, and possibility of back to $6.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I hope the Transat shareholders see the Air Canada deal for what it is. A mutual back scratching between Calin and the Transat execs that comes at your cost.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Just another canuck wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:12 am It's also the best option for many thousands of employees. But it's clear some of you could care less about them.
AC not buying AT is the best option for many thousand AC employees...can’t blame us for cheering on Mach. (And don’t worry, I will welcome you into the AC family with open arms if that is forced on us...no grudges, I promise).

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.

Return to “Air Transat”