The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by ZBBYLW »

Victory wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:16 am He thinks he's going to be the Captain. :lol:
If I'm not, even better - free beer! Hope that is a thing at AT.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Duke Point wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:51 pm The best way to deal with it is to make suggestions to your Union. Tell them what you would like to see. They will represent you. Their proposal to the Arbitrator will be the --only thing-- that will forward or impede your merger case.

If you feel "slighted" with the result, have a personal chat with one of your reps.

Keep emotional, reactionary crap out of the Flight Deck. Spend your layover alone if you must.

I've lived through "sour, rotten, resentful" attitudes some people carried for years with the Canadian/AC merger. It did ---not one person--- any good, and likely harmed or destroyed plenty of home relationships, and ruined many a layover. In the end it was only pure, wasted energy.

I was with the Regulator at that initial time of merger and it was known there were some ugly situations developing that caught the attention of very senior people at the HQ level and plans were introduced to exercise “ delegation of authority “ under the Minister to all of us who qualified. Probably more of a reactionary than a necessity I would say looking back.

I remember in Halifax that era talking to a Canadian pilot who thought working at AC would be same as working at the Post Office or where I worked TC because of the so called bureaucracy. I also heard from an AC employee( not a pilot) who was of the view his airline would now be like a used car lot with all the old clunker aircraft Canadian accumulated due the many mergers.

I imagine you could tell stories from that time from what you witnessed, looking back probably sad in a way.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

It must be a human characteristic to blame your fellow co-worker.

It's happening even today at AC. We recently had a former Rouge FA come over to Mainline, they weren't on the crew bus with us, but the original Mainline FA's were up at arms as to how someone could come from Rouge and "take" a seniority position above a Mainliner. I said "blame your Union if you don't like it, not her"...."aren't you guys one-list anyway?"

They were telling stories about how they gave her a hard time on the flight, and basically ignored her.

I expect some people will be unable to rise above this pettiness...….but most will.

We're all, on both sides, going to eat a $hit sandwitch of varying sizes......best just to grit your teeth, swallow, and be done with it.

DP.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

ZBBYLW wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:39 pm Look forward to buying the beer on any layover with any FO regardless of where they came from.
Good man!

I'm always amazed with the odd +40 YOS skipper who doesnt get the beer.

Has had countless beers bought for him throughout his career, makes 6 times what the RP does(or flat pay FO), has a DB pension, obviously on per diems, and by going to the bitter end is slowing down the movement.

Sad.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

I have to completely disagree. Everyone has different life circumstances. Sure some people are just cheap. But others have kids they are putting through school etc.... if you wana drink on your time off better bring your wallet if your with me. That being said ofcourse I'll buy ppl coffee and donuts from time to time. Just saying no one should ever expect it.

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

You sound like one of the cheap ones :lol:

At least it'll be warm in hell...
alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

jpilot77 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm There’s a lot of senior Sunwing pilots on this last PIT course.
I've heard that the gravy train is over at Sunwing for a specific few.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Hello gents,

when are the next confirmed Groundschools ?

thanks in advance.

downfourgreen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by downfourgreen »

Interviewed June 18. Just got offered August 12 GS. Good Luck To Everyone!

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

downfourgreen wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:58 am Interviewed June 18. Just got offered August 12 GS. Good Luck To Everyone!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your experience ?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 pmI've heard that the gravy train is over at Sunwing for a specific few.
What does that mean?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 am
alkaseltzer wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 pmI've heard that the gravy train is over at Sunwing for a specific few.
What does that mean?
He's saying he's heard the hiring at Sunwing is up, so try there

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Getting back on topic... I see there’s an August 12th class. Safe to assume classes will continue to be every three weeks for the rest of the year?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Calls going out for Sept 9th GS

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Would be interesting to know if any TS pilots are turning down a course in hopes of a better seniority if the merger goes through.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

All their files are on hold till this acquisition gets sorted out. None are getting called. Poaching from wj and sw instead.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

So the Jazz deal is to hire a certain percentage of Jazz pilots relative to OTS hires, right? So if they merge 600 Transat pilots they don't have to hire any Jazz pilots at all I imagine.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Don't forget AT is coming with their fleet...
However that means the OTS hiring is going to be over-competitive and be sure that majority of new Jazz pilots will apply, and AC cannot lower the bar too much.
Also keep in mind that AC will hire 90% of Jazz eligible pilot. The trick here is "eligible"... Requirements can change to for example "if Express carrier, minimum requirement is 3500 total time, 500 PIC in a 705 company"

CR knows what he is doing and this deal with Jazz until 2035 isn't insignificant. AC entered talks with AT in October 2018.
This guy is everything but foolish from a businessman perspective.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

That they come with their fleet may be the case, but TS pilots bring less than they believe.
The 310’s and 737 will never set foot at AC....

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think you'd see the 320s and maybe a couple 330s get AC paint.

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”