FA Class action lawsuit

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

FA Class action lawsuit

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

Anyone tracking this?

"The class action, alleging WestJet breached its employment contracts with flight attendants by failing to properly prevent and respond to workplace sexual harassment and sexual assault, could affect all companies in Canada."

"On Thursday, WestJet told the Star in a statement that they “respect the decision of the court and are in the process of reviewing the decision with our counsel to determine next steps.”

"The company had argued unsuccessfully that Lewis should have filed her complaint before human-rights bodies, not the courts."

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2019/ ... rules.html
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: FA Class action lawsuit

Post by Longtimer »

WestJet appeals to high court over former flight attendant's anti-harassment legal action

Proposed class action alleges airline broke promise to female employees

The Canadian Press · Posted: Apr 18, 2019 9:02 PM MT | Last Updated: April 18

Former WestJet flight attendant Mandalena Lewis is suing the airline over alleged gender-based discrimination. The airline is going to the Supreme Court of Canada in an attempt to have it throw out of court. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

WestJet Airlines Ltd. is going to the Supreme Court of Canada in an attempt to have a proposed class-action lawsuit launched by a former flight attendant thrown out of court.

The airline lost efforts to scuttle the action in both the B.C. Supreme and Appeal courts, but documents asking for leave to appeal filed with the high court say the case raises several questions of national importance.

Mandalena Lewis worked for WestJet for eight years and alleges in her legal action that the employer broke its promise to provide a harassment-free workplace for women.

WestJet claims in its filing that the high court needs to decide if the Canadian Human Rights Commission and Tribunal have exclusive jurisdiction over the claims of sexual harassment in a non-unionized, federal company.

The documents say if the case is allowed to proceed to court, the jurisdiction of the commission and tribunal have effectively been nullified, which couldn't have been the intent of Parliament when they were created.

Lewis alleges in her civil lawsuit that she was sexually assaulted by a pilot while on a stopover in Hawaii in 2010 and that WestJet breached its anti-harassment promise in her contract.

FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FenceSitter »

She woke up being (allegedly) raped in YQU. He (allegedly) admitted to consensual sex but she was adamant that there was no consent. According to the (alleged) internal company investigation she was (allegedly) unable to provide consent due to her (alleged) level of intoxication. WJ (allegedly) protected the pilot and leaned on the FA to keep her mouth shut.
Fast-forward a few years and another female FA (allegedly) has an incident of forcible confinement and sexual harassment by this exact same pilot. Westjet (allegedly) again tries to brush it under the rug but this time the alleged victim will not kowtow to their methods of handling alleged crimes.
Jump to today and simply because the company didn't terminate the employment of an alleged sexual predator they face having to pay a settlement to each and every female FA that does not opt-out of this action. That's a lot of money that could have been saved had they simply referred the matter to the police in the first place and not (allegedly) encouraged the (alleged) victims to stay away from the police and keep their pretty mouths shut.
Incompetent (alleged) decisions without thought of consequence, made by allegedly qualified personel, are simply going to lead to a massive payout along with permanent stain on the brand. That last bit of the sentence is near-impossible to quantify...but it'll be pricier than any non-essential expense in possibly the history of the company.
They definitely spied on the competition. I saw the printed powerpoint presentation sheet in the hands of an exec traveling to YYJ on more than one occasion. They denied it...but I actually saw it happening. Same here. They deny it. Then they try to litigate it to death. But eventually, and that day will be sooner than later, they will pay for the (alleged) ignorant and asinine mistakes of a few people drunk on the koolaid.

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Jump to today and simply because the company didn't terminate the employment of an alleged sexual predator they face having to pay a settlement to each and every female FA that does not opt-out of this action. “

Another idiotic post. :roll:

Can’t wait till everyone who is innocent until accused then guilty and fired... lives in your little ridiculous bubble. FAs will have a financial field day.

Piss off.

Just callin it like it is.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

One could argue this kind of thing was an eventuality in WestJet's good time party internal reference dude bros only culture.

privateer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by privateer »

Victory wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:07 am One could argue this kind of thing was an eventuality in WestJet's good time party internal reference dude bros only culture.
"Dude bros only culture"? Really dude.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Actually he is right. I personally know 3 people that were screwed because someone somewhere at WJ didnt think they were cool or whatever. I think that's changed now but I don't know. This was 4-5 years ago. One guy was placed in the pool for the full year at encore and was just timed out in the pool. The did not have the decency to let him know he is free to apply elsewhere since they had no plan on hiring him.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

RRJetPilot wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:27 am Actually he is right. I personally know 3 people that were screwed because someone somewhere at WJ didnt think they were cool or whatever. I think that's changed now but I don't know. This was 4-5 years ago. One guy was placed in the pool for the full year at encore and was just timed out in the pool. The did not have the decency to let him know he is free to apply elsewhere since they had no plan on hiring him.
Your buddy was placed in the pool and then timed out, and he thinks he got screwed over? Geeezus Krist the level of entitlement is uncanny. Until you actually start working here, the company owes you nothing. Ever. Go work hard and earn your keep.

This post is about a very serious topic that has legal implications, and not about some entitled brat. Don’t mix the two up.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

I don't agree about entitlement. They were specifically told to be ready to start ASAP, therefore why would they pursue other opportunities.

Also it is related because the previous comment had to do with the "bro culture" at WJ

:lol: They are laughing now sitting at AC watching the trainwreck

Demeter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Demeter »

There is always two sides to a story. Always. So tell us about the “three guys you know” story and let’s try and figure it out here or better yet get them on here. Like my first instructor said many years ago “your reputation in the industry starts today and it’s a small one” I still agree with him to this day.
Don’t worry Ac has their fair share of train wrecks too.

Return to “WestJet”