Air Canada has to pay $15,000 to a couple because the word 'lift' was not engraved on seatbelts in French

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Air Canada has to pay $15,000 to a couple because the word 'lift' was not engraved on seatbelts in French

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Air Canada has to pay $15,000 to a couple because the word 'lift' was not engraved on seatbelts in French

Post by lownslow »

I sometimes wish I was both observant enough and bold enough to make my living being this kind of weenie.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada has to pay $15,000 to a couple because the word 'lift' was not engraved on seatbelts in French

Post by rxl »

Yep, this is a real threat to French language rights in North America.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Such a disgrace to the french community . If there was language equality in Canada, we would see a big change in the english language discrimination in Quebec! But then, some folks are more equal and entitled than others !

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

A disgrace to all reasonable members of the Francophone community who realize that IF there is a real threat to their language it would be the absolute deluge of english language media that they are surrounded with, (especially from the elephant to the south) and not the fact that it says "LIFT" instead of "LEVER" on airplane seatbelts.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

These people are nothing but trouble makers that look at anything they can to stir sh!t.

I would love to meet these two idiots and let them have a piece of my mind... Total disgrace to the majority of French speaking Canadians and Quebecers.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Some animals are more equal than others, comrade....

What I don't get is why everyone blames the complainers, instead of the system that blatantly encourages people like this, and favours one group over another.

And you wonder why English speaking Canadians get ticked off......

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If they got that much from Air Canada what is stopping anyone else from doing the same?

Looks like an easy way to get money.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:20 pm If they got that much from Air Canada what is stopping anyone else from doing the same?

Looks like an easy way to get money.
I propose a class action suit.

Settled for 15K per person.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

From their quotes in the article, it appears that the couple speaks pretty fluent English... hard to see how they were put out by the lack of bilingualism on the seatbelt latches. If it truly was an issue for them, they'd still be belted in their seats with no idea how to get out.

Will fix airplanes for food.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There has always been this group of radicals in Quebec that poison the relationship of Quebec with the rest of Canada.

I had two of them once as crew members they only talked in french between each other, when I asked them to speak English in the airplane they told me they had a legal right to speak French and if I did not like it it was to bad.

So I grounded the airplane for safety reasons and asked the company for another two crew members.

All hell broke lose as it was a water bomber on contract to Ontario.

I got my new crew real fast.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

The nerve of the couple to sue the airline and win, then say that they’ll continue flying with them. If I was Air Canada I'd be saying "Bienvenue sur la liste d'interdiction de vol“.

Assholes.

Will fix airplanes for food.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm Some animals are more equal than others, comrade....

What I don't get is why everyone blames the complainers, instead of the system that blatantly encourages people like this, and favours one group over another.

And you wonder why English speaking Canadians get ticked off......
Agreed. For some reason the court seems to have overlooked the obvious fact that the critical information is available to EVERYONE in both official languages in the safety features card and in the pre-flight safety briefing/demo. I suspect these characters were probably too busy reading The Montreal Gazette and looking for other ways to run their little scam to pay attention.

Ticked off off? You bet!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:13 pm What I don't get is why everyone blames the complainers, instead of the system that blatantly encourages people like this, and favours one group over another.
I agree with the first part of that statement. If a stupid law allows people to abuse it and gain some extra money, would you blame:
A) the law
B) the people abusing the law
C) the people awarding and determining the size of the settlement
D) all of the above

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Nothing but low life scammers who happen to be french.

They tried and failed before because they were on an international route. Hopefully we'll never have to share a plane with these two cochon/chiens.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

All of the above!

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

That's why they use little cartoons now instead of words on labels and all that, got to protect stupid people from themselves, or give them a big sweaty wad of money.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

I believe a seat belt has to be built to certification design requirements. The design of aviation safety equipment, down to the size, design and placement of placards and the word "lift" are likely airworthiness design items, beyond the scope of language laws and not up to an airline. I would bet that the offending aircraft was built in Toulouse France, ironically, and sold and operated with that same equipment all over the world.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

We can all agree, LIFT is not a French word and it isn’t stamped into the buckle.

Certaines séparatistes sont tout simplement stupides.

Any English speaker knows this, so the notion of language discrimination is pretty weak in a country that guarantees (look the meaning of that word up if you have any doubts) language rights in our Charter. We either enforce our laws or we’re in trouble. The court made a pretty sensible and simple and easy decision on this. Regardless of how stupid it is, it was like shooting fish in a goldfish bowl.

If you don’t understand a physical demonstration narrated in French on how to physically buckle and unbuckle a seat belt or if you can’t comprehend the visual instructions on the safety features card, maybe you should take the train.

All airlines in Canada should collaborate and put these nice people on a No Fly list.
For safety reasons. Of course.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

What does the buckle say on an Air France Airbus?

Return to “General Comments”