What is the process for putting a helipad on my property?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

LizzieQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

What is the process for putting a helipad on my property?

Post by LizzieQ »

Trying to find out about permits, regulations, guidelines and building specifications, or anything else that is required when putting a helipad on my own property. Thx!!
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: What is the process for putting a helipad on my property?

Post by digits_ »

For personal use?

What structures would you be building? Something professional with concrete or just mowing your lawn?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In a built up area? And within municipal limits? Or a rural area? How close to an existing aerodrome?

The answers to those questions will determine everything.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
LizzieQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LizzieQ »

In a built up area? And within municipal limits? Or a rural area? How close to an existing aerodrome?

The answers to those questions will determine everything.

Last edited by LizzieQ on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LizzieQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LizzieQ »

The location is in a remote area on a private, rocky (no grass strip!!) island in northern Ontario nowhere near a city or aerodrome. Some neighbouring islands are seasonally occupied.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think you'll find it straightforward, from a regulatory point of view.

No municipal or provincial building standards, regulations or by-laws apply to anything built for aviation purposes. Transport Canada mandates a very light-weight consultation exercise conducted by mailing your immediate neighbours and soliciting any opinions or objections, then preparing a brief report for TC of any objections received along with your proposals as to whether and how you intend to respond to them. Then after a thirty day period unless you hear from TC you can begin construction. The details are in CAR307.

If you want peace of mind, consult Glenn Grenier at McMillan LLP. He is the general counsel to COPA, and the author of this document, which you should read:
https://www.h-a-c.ca/The_Federal_Aerona ... a_2018.pdf

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

In your case, you just fly in and out at your own risk.

If you have neighbours that are close enough, you should consult with them.

As far as making an approved helipad, you'll need lots of surveying, approved plans following ICAO standards and a couple wheelbarrows of cash and a year or two.

Is the pad for your own r22 or do you need a structure to support a heavier helicopter on wheels.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Why do you need anything? Just call it an off strip landing or put a little platform / dock out and land there.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

fish4life wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 am Why do you need anything? Just call it an off strip landing or put a little platform / dock out and land there.
Second this. Heckalopters can be landed anywhere. I landed in my friend's backyard years ago, and all I could find in the CARs was that it was allowed as long as you had the permission of the property owner. If you own the property, I don't see why not.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It’s described as a rocky island. perhaps there’s nowhere flat that’s convenient.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

I got mine into the CFS last summer. It is NOT certified but it is registered and was not technically difficult...just took a long time (2+ years). The hardest part was getting someone from Transport Canada to respond. Once I found the right guy at TC and made initial contact he COMPLETELY ghosted me for 7-8 months. I left a message and a e-mail every few weeks and got NO response at all. Nav Canada on the other-hand was easy to deal with.

For those who say don't bother my response is 1) compared to flying a helicopter, the cost is trivial. Even less if you do it yourself. 2) when future development comes out my way, it establishes that my heli-pad existed as of last July. 3) I get notified and have the ability to object to any towers that might go up in my area while they are in the planning stages. 4) its kinda of cool to be marked on the VNC chart 8)

Feel free to PM me.

Glenn

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Why not just build the biggest, beefiest deck that you want? Even get a permit for the deck if needed. Throw a couple adirondack chairs on there and Bob's your uncle. Just don't paint the H on it unless your name starts with one. Can triggering the lights by the PTT button on your handheld be considered home automation?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:58 amNo municipal or provincial building standards, regulations or by-laws apply to anything built for aviation purposes.
While technically correct to a point, this is practically incorrect at most existing airports. Leases now typically include clauses requiring adherence to local building codes, which means you're into all the municipal and provincial building standards anyway. Don't like it? Someone else will happily take your lease.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Per the thread title: he’s talking about building a pad on his property, not at a local airport.

And, while an airport might require you to adhere to local codes, it’s up to the airport to inspect and enforce that, not the local or provincial authorities.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:00 am Per the thread title: he’s talking about building a pad on his property, not at a local airport.
True, but you did state it rather generically and categorically. I didn't want someone to take it as gospel.
And, while an airport might require you to adhere to local codes, it’s up to the airport to inspect and enforce that, not the local or provincial authorities.
Also true, but also practically irrelevant. Any airport i've seen with such clauses in their head lease also requires local authorities do the inspections.

frenchwrench
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frenchwrench »

In the last yr or so they added you have to ask the municipality as well, But the minister has final say. If you look up Vision helicopters , they wanted to build a place outside the zone in Halifax, Neighbors said Nope.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The details are all in CAR 307. As it's a federal power, the local municipality and neighbours have no say; only the minister.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

Don't complicate things, you're on a remote island, and the only resident of it, just land. I land all over, including my own property, have been for many years. Just don't land on some random downtown parking lot to stop in for lunch at your favorite restaurant. So yes, use common sense, but a very remote island, in the middle of a lake, just do it.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”