WWFC

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

WWFC

Post by Pilot_adam »

If you are a student at Waltroo Wellington flight centre i would like to know from you what the ICPP program is like and if you took OSAP to pay for the program how much did OSAP cover from the
$ 40,000 ????
I have applied for a student line of credit from the bank of Montreal to cover the cost but did not have a co-singer so i am thinking of OSAP now...

Cheers

Adam
---------- ADS -----------

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

If you're in the straight integrated program, OSAP won't give you a dime. If you're in the Conestoga program (which is the same from the flight training side of things) you can apply for OSAP, but they still won't factor the costs of the flight training into their decision. They'll help you pay for the Conestoga portion of your education, if you qualify, but not the flight training.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

Noone will lend you money to fly... the money you get is expected to pay for your college, however you can use it to pay for your flying.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

why not just do sault or confed and have the flying paid for?

Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Pilot_adam »

endless wrote:why not just do sault or confed and have the flying paid for?
Been thinking about it and will apply but i heared it is really hard to get into the flying programs at sault or confed ,Do you know what they would need from a mature student (I am 23 and finished my high school 5 years ago) ??.

Cheers
Adam

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

you need to write entrance exams that they have in the spring. Call the colleges and see what their exact requirements are. Might be worth looking in to

Pilot_adam
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Pilot_adam »

endless wrote:you need to write entrance exams that they have in the spring. Call the colleges and see what their exact requirements are. Might be worth looking in to
Thanks for the Info .. I will call them soon and hope for the best

Cheers
Adam

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

23 is not that old. When I went through the Sault program (finished last year) we had people way older and some younger. I was on the younger side. Its all about just working hard. Most people don't get booted because they just can't do it. They slack off and don't study when they should. They cancel flights because they are "sick" and then fall behind and lose track of what they should be doing. This is only a select few but it does happen.

Work hard when you need to and most people will do fine. Like most things in aviation, most of it isn't difficult, there is just a lot to do.

As for the entrance exam as i remember it, Basic Math with no calculator, and some basic english, and then some general aviation knowledge stuff. This is to weed out the people who decide to be a pilot at the last minute and give someone who has loved it their entire life but maybe doesn't do as well in the math and english a chance. I can't remember what the english portion is like. The math, however, is like grade 10 tops. If you did any OAC or grade 12 maths and physics, this section will be a breeze. If not its still easy enough. Its to check your thinking and reasoning process with simple questions. Its not meant to see if you can take an equation for a curve and find the rate of change of the slope by taking the derivative a few times. Thats what the calculus courses are for :wink: They are still pretty simple when you are doing them though.

Whew, Hope this helps.

BTD

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

im 28 and currently in my first semester at confed. i used my grade 11/12 marks from 11 years ago instead of applying as a mature student. that way i didn't have to write a mature student exam. i was missing half a credit of grade 12 math so i did a course over the summer.

just check the requirements for the program on their site and make sure you apply before the deadline in early february. you apply through OCAS like any other college.

http://www.confederationc.on.ca/aviation-flight-mgmt/

i'd recommend at least applying to their program. ppl, cpl, float rating and a college diploma for $9K... doesn't get much better than that.

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Hey Fingersmac, Who's your instructor? PM me if you like, im just curious because I went to school there with a few instructors.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

There's very often students over 30 at the flight colleges. They don't fare any better or worse than anyone else. So I wouldn't worry too much about age.

sdraw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdraw »

costermonger wrote:If you're in the straight integrated program, OSAP won't give you a dime. If you're in the Conestoga program (which is the same from the flight training side of things) you can apply for OSAP, but they still won't factor the costs of the flight training into their decision. They'll help you pay for the Conestoga portion of your education, if you qualify, but not the flight training.
They do give you the option to apply for OSAP through the flight centre instead of the college. This way, you can get more money from OSAP than you would through only the college You can only do one or the other though. I think the max you could get was 40% of the flight training costs but I am not sure of that.

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

Didn't know that. Wasn't available when I started college, I guess.

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

ISTP can tell you all about being old at college. Seems it worked out for him, specially in the respect dept. Speaking of... I haven't seen istp here for a while, <breaker, breaker> you still around good buddy? c'mon back.

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!

Return to “Flight Training”