SIMAir

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: SIMAir

Post by 77W »

contactapproved wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:40 pm
77W wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 am Just wondering how much they pay for captain? Lots of twin turbine 705 captains in YWG but they're all making well over 6 figures, and not going to gamble on a start up unless there's a dump truck of cash offered.

"Pay is commensurate of experience" isn't going to work. :rolleyes:
Agreed, a lot of 703 captains that are also well into the 6 figures that were maybe waiting to see what these guys had to offer. Job ad and company info is way to vague to leave 100-150k per year... I recall seeing a Westwind ATR job ad out of winnipeg about a year ago that never seemed to amount to anything being based in YWG. My guess is something went sideways and one of the managers at Westwind decided to start his own operation.
My guess would be that no one with the right experience would be applying to a sinking ship that just recently had an accident and lost most of their contracts.
---------- ADS -----------

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:44 pm Interesting theory, but I question the use of a Saab. Not exactly the best aircraft.

If you need cheap, you can get an old Dash 8-100 for not a ton and it can carry more passengers.
I think, from what I've heard, the Saab is still cheaper to operate and has a lower break even factor than the DH8A. It would be interesting to see some numbers on this, but obviously if companies are still operating them there is a reason for it.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Backhouse has been around for quite sometime and has been part of operations involving the Saab, ATR and Dash’s.

For the operation he’s starting, I can guarantee he’s looked at the numbers and knows that the Saab is the best fit for whatever he’s doing.

For a startup to he Saab certainly has the lowest cost, however once developed you may see a change to a larger AC once capital is built, or an expansion to more Saab’s.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Looks like they covered up their sign at the hangar. Did they go bust already? :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
WestTexasDeathPencil
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestTexasDeathPencil »

digits_ wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:43 am Looks like they covered up their sign at the hangar. Did they go bust already? :rolleyes:
They now have an ex-PenAir 340 parked at the YXE Aerocentre. Supposedly they're looking into buying the Transwest hangar in YXE as well.

Return to “Employment Forum”