Ground school soon, what should I know?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

de St-Exup Fan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ground school soon, what should I know?

Post by de St-Exup Fan »

Hello!
I am on a soon to be GS and I have a lot of Questions:
How to choose my Flight Bag, what are the dimensions availiable to place it in the various Dash, and in the RJ?
Will the books given to us fit in a Flight Bag? or should I also bring a Backpack? (And a grocery cart? :lol: )
Is the training mostly in uniform? How many civilian clothes should I plan to have?
How hard is it to find a crash pad at the bases? and How do you reach the airport if you don't bring a vehicule there, is public transit usually easy to use?
I probably have more that I am not thinking about at the moment, will update later in that case.
Thank you in advance
de St-Exup Fan
---------- ADS -----------

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Ground school soon, what should I know?

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

What do you need to know?

You are about to become the property of Chorus Aviation Ltd. Say goodbye to your life (socially and savings).

---

You may now return to people who will actually answer your questions.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

sent you a PM

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

We have transitioned to an EFB (electronic flight bag) via an iPad mini. All the manuals and publications are now loaded to it. As far as flight bags go, there are may options, ranging from some of the satchels/etc you can get at walmart/staples up to nice professional leather pilot cases. All depending on how much you're willing to spend. Generally speaking, on the line, you'll need room in your bag for the iPad, headset, licences, high vis vest *for walk arounds) and a stash of extra pens and batteries etc. They don't need to be huge. There is plenty of room for most bags of that sort in the Dashes and the CRJ. I've got a 'fancy' leather one from Calgary Pilot supply that was built to fit the slightly smaller space in the CRJ, I got it figuring I knew myself well enough to know I'd just fill a bigger bag if I had the space anyways..

For training, you'll be handed an assortment of booklets, papers etc. Nothing outside the ordinary. Most folks just bring backpacks etc. A small flight bag should be sufficient if you decide to buy one before hand.

Training is not done in uniform. I believe on day one or day two you do visit the Uniform supplier and get fitted. It'll take weeks (if not months) for all of it to arrive. Dress for all classroom/ipt/sim training is to be done per the company policy in business casual attire. Active wear and open toed footwear are not acceptable.

Crash pads out west (I'm from the west) are available. Lots of postings in the crew rooms for them. There should also be lots that pop up on craigslist etc. I'm not sure about YUL or YYZ but they are most likely the same. Ask around in your ground school for those that live in the base you may be assigned. You're put up in a hotel for all of the Groundschool/ipt and sim training so you have plenty of time to figure that out. Also, with as much movement as is currently happening, you may find that you're back to the base you wanted before training is even complete.

My suggestions? Show up with no preconceived notions, ready to learn. I'd also make sure you have sufficient clothing etc to make a few weeks in a hotel not seem rough. There should be laundry provisions, but I can't keep track of which hotel we're staying at this week in YYZ.

Good luck and welcome!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Rowdy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am We have transitioned to an EFB (electronic flight bag) via an iPad mini. All the manuals and publications are now loaded to it. As far as flight bags go, there are may options, ranging from some of the satchels/etc you can get at walmart/staples up to nice professional leather pilot cases. All depending on how much you're willing to spend. Generally speaking, on the line, you'll need room in your bag for the iPad, headset, licences, high vis vest *for walk arounds) and a stash of extra pens and batteries etc. They don't need to be huge. There is plenty of room for most bags of that sort in the Dashes and the CRJ. I've got a 'fancy' leather one from Calgary Pilot supply that was built to fit the slightly smaller space in the CRJ, I got it figuring I knew myself well enough to know I'd just fill a bigger bag if I had the space anyways..

For training, you'll be handed an assortment of booklets, papers etc. Nothing outside the ordinary. Most folks just bring backpacks etc. A small flight bag should be sufficient if you decide to buy one before hand.

Training is not done in uniform. I believe on day one or day two you do visit the Uniform supplier and get fitted. It'll take weeks (if not months) for all of it to arrive. Dress for all classroom/ipt/sim training is to be done per the company policy in business casual attire. Active wear and open toed footwear are not acceptable.

Crash pads out west (I'm from the west) are available. Lots of postings in the crew rooms for them. There should also be lots that pop up on craigslist etc. I'm not sure about YUL or YYZ but they are most likely the same. Ask around in your ground school for those that live in the base you may be assigned. You're put up in a hotel for all of the Groundschool/ipt and sim training so you have plenty of time to figure that out. Also, with as much movement as is currently happening, you may find that you're back to the base you wanted before training is even complete.

My suggestions? Show up with no preconceived notions, ready to learn. I'd also make sure you have sufficient clothing etc to make a few weeks in a hotel not seem rough. There should be laundry provisions, but I can't keep track of which hotel we're staying at this week in YYZ.

Good luck and welcome!
Rowdy, they no longer do uniform on day 2. Crappy I know, but we are hoping to bring that back!

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

When you get to the Sim stage of your training do not be afraid to say you do not understand something, or you do not feel ready. The company does not want you to fail and will give you the extra [within reason] training so as to be successful on your ride.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

How long does it take to complete training at Jazz from Day 1 of GS to the sim ride ?

And where does it all take place YYZ or YVR or ??

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

dhc# wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:11 am How long does it take to complete training at Jazz from Day 1 of GS to the sim ride ?

And where does it all take place YYZ or YVR or ??
Depends on training availability. I've heard of guys having 2-3 weeks off between IPT/Initial Company Training and then SIM training. I'd say if you have no hold ups or extra sessions you'll be ready for line in doc training in about 4-5 weeks.

All initial company training and IPT will be done in YYZ. (Sometimes IPT may be done in YVR for the DH8.....not sure if they have an IPT in YVR for the Q400)
SIM training is likely to be YYZ, possibly YVR. YYZ has CRJ, Q400, DH8. YVR has DH8 and Q400.
If you'd prefer to do training in YVR I would send an email to your training coordinator the day you get your type and request YVR if they have slots available. Also if you have a partner (same type) that you'd like to be paired with also email your training coordinator as they likely can accommodate that, otherwise its usually random.'

The best advice I can give is: during the first 2 weeks, if you want something or need something (travel home on days off, requesting a specific partner for training, requesting YVR for training, asking for travel/moving days after initial before line in doc, requesting YYC, YVR, YUL for line in doc or whatever......email your training coordinator ASAP. They often can help you out and sometimes it helps them out.)

After the first 2 weeks coordinators are busy with the next class behind you so they tend to be slower responding to your requests. So email and ask them all the questions you need ASAP. Just try not to "bug them" with 8 million emails (try to condense them) and be polite as they will control how well your life goes in training lol ;)

If you don't ask, you won't get! The worst they can say is "no".

de St-Exup Fan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by de St-Exup Fan »

Thank you very much for all the quick answers! It is super appreciated!

How can I have access to compagny policies before hand, business casual is a very broad term, and except the no-jeans one specified in the acceptance email, are there any colour or otherwise restriction to it?

Do we get the Ipad early in the training or would it be best to bring mine for the first week or so?

What does ipt training mean?

Thank you again!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

de St-Exup Fan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:21 pm Thank you very much for all the quick answers! It is super appreciated!

How can I have access to compagny policies before hand, business casual is a very broad term, and except the no-jeans one specified in the acceptance email, are there any colour or otherwise restriction to it?

Do we get the Ipad early in the training or would it be best to bring mine for the first week or so?

Thank you again!

IPT is Integrated Procedures Trainer. Basically its a mock of a cockpit with touch screens so you can touch screen move the switches etc and run flows and drills etc. Costs a lot cheaper than a level D sim and still get some good learning out of it.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

de St-Exup Fan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:21 pm Thank you very much for all the quick answers! It is super appreciated!

Thank you again!
Google business casual and wear that. Dress pants or khakis with a polo shirt is perfect. Where whatever colour you want, probably be a good idea if it doesn't have any logos from previous companies on it.

You get your iPad on the first day

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

Day 2 is Seniority, Base & Equip. draw, followed later in the afternoon by the ALPA indoc. and dinner...at least it was when I was there. Things might have changed.

Grindking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Grindking »

I’ll be in YYZ for g/s. What hotels do they put us up in and for how long?

superbilly24
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by superbilly24 »

Element hotel at YYZ for roughly 2 months, until you are done sim.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Grindking wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:10 pm I’ll be in YYZ for g/s. What hotels do they put us up in and for how long?
Elements hotel which usually has a kitchenette in the room, however, with current hotel issues in all Major cities you may not be at the Elements.

CIT/CRM is 10 days
IPT/GS/WRM is 9 days
SIM is 9-10 days
(plus days off which you can travel home or stay at the hotel)
During IPT/SIM you'll likely see larger breaks (ie: 3-4 SIM then 3-6 days off, but its all situationally dependant)

If you are awarded DH4 in YYC or YVR you will be sent to YVR for SIM likely.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
HappySkies777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HappySkies777 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 am sent you a PM
Can you PM me the same please? I am starting soon and curious...

HappySkies777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HappySkies777 »

Bajan Pilot wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:29 pm Day 2 is Seniority, Base & Equip. draw, followed later in the afternoon by the ALPA indoc. and dinner...at least it was when I was there. Things might have changed.
If one is coming from another ALPA carrier with membership in good standing, can they still draw first in their class?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

HappySkies777 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 pm
Bajan Pilot wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:29 pm Day 2 is Seniority, Base & Equip. draw, followed later in the afternoon by the ALPA indoc. and dinner...at least it was when I was there. Things might have changed.
If one is coming from another ALPA carrier with membership in good standing, can they still draw first in their class?
YES, in order of seniority (ALPA DOH) if multiple ALPA new-hires in class

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

Make sure your vaccines are up -to -date and be prepared to take an unlimited number of booster shots !

Sim for Jazz is likely no differed than elsewhere:

-study systems
-schedule/ organize your time( poor planning = piss poor performance) / identify weak areas and try to clean those areas up.
-almost no Question is a dumb question
-self reflect ( what can I improve on? What are my weak areas?
-you’ll be drinking from a firehose schedule time for self care (if possible)
- Recognize information saturation ( performance decreasing with increasing studying) - see self care.
-if you are having difficulty with a concept, speak up chances are your sim partner could be too.
- work as a team with your sim partner - they’ll be watching that.
-be calm, confident and humble.
-don’t stop hitting the books once you are out of sim. - continue above

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”