Bush Flying pilot license

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

RozRoyal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bush Flying pilot license

Post by RozRoyal »

Hi all! I was wondering how do you become a pilot of a bush plane? What kind of a pilot license do I need, here in Canada?
---------- ADS -----------

propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bush Flying pilot license

Post by propfeather »

CPL or ATPL

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

That's not true. If he can afford to buy a bush plane he can fly it with a PPL.

Check out Trent Palmer and his buddies. They build and fly bush planes, most of them are private pilots. They are in the United States but as long as you have the money or credit you could do that here in the great white north.

Maybe you'd paint your Kitfox just red and white with maple leafs instead of stars but...

If you want to get a job flying in the bush you will need a commercial license but only because you need that for any job as a pilot. As for flying a plane in the bush you could even do it with a recreational license.

You will want to get some good training but that is a much longer story. Regardless you will need to start with finding a school you like.

amikaviation1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by amikaviation1 »

Air Hart Aviation in Kelowna, BC offers a float course for your CPL.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

"Bush Pilot" is the wrong term for Trent Palmer and his flying cowboys. Being a bush pilot is a lifestyle. It comes with years of experience in THE BUSH! That title is earned after a few seasons of hauling moose (or any other animal/dense objects) out of a strip in the middle of nowhere. It comes after you've lived in the bush, whether seasonally or year round.

Calling those guys bush pilots is an affront to the men and women who fly in the bush every day. Whether you're supporting your life or a community's, being a bush pilot is (typically) not something you do for recognition. You do it because you love it (or because no one else would hire you :P )

Calling the Utah/Nevada deserts "bush" is a sorry misinterpretation. I can agree with the term "back country". But, when you can land, call your wife to ask what's for supper, then keep flying your grossly overpowered and under stressed airplane for fun? That's not a bush pilot.

I WILL say that those guys are a necessary force in the industry these days. It's people like that that brought us to where we are today, and it'll be people like that (LOTS of money and influence) that will keep GA alive and safe. At least for our U.S. brethren.

Back to the original question.

CPL is enough to make a living as a bush pilot. But remember: the best qualification for being a bush pilot is how well you can handle a chainsaw and a shovel :)

Flying will be the most rewarding, but likely will be the smallest amount of time that engages you as a "Bush Pilot". I highly recommend it, but just be prepared to work as hard as you can. Yet another reason the flying cowboys can't claim the title- they aren't working when they fly. They're just horsing around; that is fine and dandy, but don't use the term Bush Pilot....... Have I said that yet??

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RozRoyal wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm Hi all! I was wondering how do you become a pilot of a bush plane? What kind of a pilot license do I need, here in Canada?
Nowadays, you can call yourself a bush pilot if you fly more northern than the guy you are talking to.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Too many trees there? I'll concede the difference between bush and back country. Carry on.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

trees, gee son I left the treeline over an hour ago

canadadry
Rank 2
Rank 2