How are Medivac standby hours accounted for?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

CFMEA
Rank 0
Rank 0

How are Medivac standby hours accounted for?

Post by CFMEA »

Hi Folks,

I just completed a four month contract flying as a medivac captain from a remote mining camp in the Yukon and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with how standby hours are accounted for with respect to EI? I was stationed 24/7 in the remote camp on standby. All of the employees of the mining camp were getting 12 hours a day.

In my case I was paid a daily rate, but it looks like the employer is only crediting 8 hours a day towards EI. This puts me at a slight disadvantage after being laid off as I'm just under the wire for applying for EI.

Does anyone have any experience with a scenario like this?

Many thanks,

Bruce
---------- ADS -----------

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: How are Medivac standby hours accounted for?

Post by ragbagflyer »

On call hours don't count as duty time in the eyes of TC. Perhaps you should count yourself lucky to get even 8 hours per day.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

ragbagflyer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am On call hours don't count as duty time in the eyes of TC. Perhaps you should count yourself lucky to get even 8 hours per day.
They don’t count as off time either though.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Most Medevac companies are desperate for pilots. Why would you need to apply for EI? In today’s market there should be next to 0 pilots on EI.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I hope this sounds more supportive than mean but I think ant is right here.

EI seems like a trick. I stopped applying for it a long time ago. It felt like too much hassle. I consider it another layer of taxes. Since around 1996 it slowly became much easier to just get another job.

Good thing too. I got married in 2000. That's expensive.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Beefitarian wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 am I hope this sounds more supportive than mean but I think ant is right here.

EI seems like a trick. I stopped applying for it a long time ago. It felt like too much hassle. I consider it another layer of taxes. Since around 1996 it slowly became much easier to just get another job.

Good thing too. I got married in 2000. That's expensive.
EI literally takes five minutes to apply for online now.

But yeah, if you’re flying medevacs, keep flying. You’re obviously hireable.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

If you can go flying, do it. In the bad old days, sometime during the mid/late last century, there was NOTHING going on in the winter, and EI was nice. In fact, I never worked full time as a pilot during winter, and applied everywhere. It is still not the easiest way to go through life, but it is better than it was for a lot of reasons.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”