....any conflicts please advise.....

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FUBAR
Rank 1
Rank 1

....any conflicts please advise.....

Post by FUBAR »

Is it just me or do people broadcasting position reports on 126.7 use up more air time on the radio with their fancy...any conflicts please advise GABC on 126.7 in the XXXX area?

Of course I'll let you know if there's a conflict.

Anyone else share this issue?
---------- ADS -----------

Lever
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lever »

Agreed.

I think it should be pretty much assumed that if someone is giving a radio call on an advisory freq. such as 126.7, it is for the benifit of traffic avoidance. Totally NOT necessary to throw that one on there. If I hear and aircraft posing a threat with or without this closing statement, I will always advise.

Also, how many variations to "Any Conflicting Traffic please advise" have you heard. Such as:

Any Conflictions
Threat Traffic....

greenwich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by greenwich »

Totally agree...

Short and sweet: Type/location/altitude/intentions/time

...that is all

G

"Slow and steady wins the race"
broompusher
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broompusher »

I'll admit to being guilty to that little radio faux pas. It's a force of habit, but i'm tryin

WTF, over
it'sme
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by it'sme »

pretty much assumed

You know what they say about assumptions eh?

I couldn't begin to count the number of times that people who are conflicting DON"T SAY ANYTHING. All of a sudden you see them on TCAS or out the bloody window but they have remained silent. Then you broadcast again and this time, just for chuckles, you toss in the "any conflicting" caveat. It's at that point suddenly a lightbulb goes off in someones head and they decide to actually speak. For the sake of assumptions...yeah I will continue to say it.

Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jet Dog »

do u even need the time? Cause you normally report OVER the point you are, and the time of it is WHILE you are reporting it, my 2 cents in change

greenwich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by greenwich »

Jet...

I meant that when U are inbound to a field guys need to know what Time you'll be overhead or landing!

G

"Slow and steady wins the race"
hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Last edited by hz2p on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Lever wrote: Such as:

Any Conflictions
Threat Traffic....
Seriously???

LOL

IMHO,

"Conflicting be advised" = position report and not necessary, if someone in the area the guy will let you know of a problem.

"Conflicting advise" = I'll say anytime I can't see sh*t because of the sun or whatever and it's my subtle way of saying I can't see sh*t so you know I'm there, it'll be good for you to let me know so I'll try even harder(to my limited ability) to spot you. Or, I'm placing the onus of looking out for me on you(instead of me for you).

_AND_ if we do crash, I'll be able to fill out the report stating "I advised them and told them to tell me they're in the way"

But I don't give them that often and when I do, I do it for a reason.

But some people.. Wow, I'm at this town, but they do it long winded
"Traffic advisory on 126.7 XXXX aircraft XXX at XXFT on a flight plan to XXX over the town of XXXX again that's XXXX on 126.7 any conflicting please advise..."

and the sad part is they get 5 miles out to the next town and same song and story, and no one replied to their first broadcast.. =(

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Last edited by hz2p on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

I know I was taught to say 'Traffic in conflict please advise' and I don't like using it. I try not to, but once in a while it slips through by accident, and I slap my wrist for it.

Once in a while I hear it over the ATF, and it's usually in situation where someone is doing something out of the ordinary, such as coming in straight in final because they have a passenger about to barf on board. In this case it has seemed to make sense, because it gave the impression that what was being said was "this is an unusual procedure, so if you have any problem with it, let me know". It catches your attention.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

What do you guys think about repeating your call sign/flight number at the end. I would say at the end "Conflicting" or "Traffic on 26.7" than either "GABC" or "XXX 501". I know for me several times I missed the callsign or flight number at the beginnning of a position report and end up saying "last call on 26.7...etc"

jackrabbit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jackrabbit »

This is bulls#!t.
How many times has this thread come up. You know what, I say it and will continue to say. If you dont like, too bad, it is another .5 seconds of radio time, deal with it.
I say it so I can repeat my indentfier. Conflicts advise ABC on 26.7. That way, the guys(gals) coming at me that missed who I was at the beginning of the advisory will know who to advise. I like it, I talk in the cockpit to the other crew member. I sometimes miss the identifier of the A/C at the beginning of the advisory so I like to hear I at the end as well.

ramp_monkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ramp_monkey »

A long radio call is better than none at all and more experience you build, the better calls will be. As for the closing of a call, if time permits your ident and stations calling is a good thing so that the other pilot can respond to you with your reg rather than "last aircraft calling"

situational awareness is hard when you have some guy trying to keep his calls as short as possible just after getting his PPL. All this said, it also depends on what kind of enviroment/amount of airacraft in the area.

If you have TCAS, great, let the pilot tell everyone else who does not where they are and what they intend to do.

hz2p
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by hz2p »

Last edited by hz2p on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyspankmasterflex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by monkeyspankmasterflex »

What do you guys think about repeating your call sign/flight number at the end. I would say at the end "Conflicting" or "Traffic on 26.7" than either "GABC" or "XXX 501". I know for me several times I missed the callsign or flight number at the beginnning of a position report and end up saying "last call on 26.7...etc"
Completely agree on repeating the call sign (probably going deaf). From time to time mentioning 26.7 also comes in handy if you're monitoring an ATF as well. I don't mind the long talkers so much, but I don't really operate in congested 26.7 areas where timely calls are important. I guess it's common dog, if the radios are busy, be succinct.

ninjacrumb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ninjacrumb »

Say it, don't say it, whatever. This topic hasn't been beaten to death several times over. Just know when it is said every plane is thinking "what a jackass". Just my 2 cents, I got about 98 more.

Meso
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Meso »

Banwith traffic on this avcanada thread, this is meso, 3' from the computer screen, 2' off the floor and 678 miles from my honey, please be advised that Jackrabbit will continue to make radio calls with useless blabber, conflicting please advise meso on this thread!

C'mon, who ya are,dist,alt,intensions and time if it matters

MAG1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MAG1 »

In my humble opinion, a position report should start and end with the area your in. Alot of people start a position report with XXXX traffic-blah blah blah, then don't repeat the area. Your in the cockpit chatting away, miss the first three words of the transmission. Now I'm sitting there wondering where this guy is and would have to waste air time asking him where he is, when 99% of the time he's no conflict. Problem solved by ending with the area. Ending with a call sign is nice but not necessary, I'll get a hold of you if your in conflict.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Are you people new or something? .. Thats been the standard prairie radio call (or so it seems) for as long and longer than i've been flying. This topics been here and gone .. looks a little green in here ..

8)

Return to “General Comments”