Air Canada and SFO - Part III

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Air Canada and SFO - Part III

Post by digits_ »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 am Personally I think only pilots who never ever missed a frequency change in their whole flying career should be criticizing this crew.......
I don't think people are faulting them for not switching to the correct frequency, but it does imply that they landed without having received a landing clearance (even though it was issued). Landing without a clearance would be a more serious mistake. A mistake a lot of pilots have never made I'd say.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Personally I think only pilots who never ever missed a frequency change in their whole flying career should be criticizing this crew.......
We are talking about a two crew airline operation here Big Pistons.

I can comment on this having thousands of hours as PIC in airline flying.....

Of course I can understand those who have no experience in that field being reluctant to comment.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 am I can comment on this having thousands of hours as PIC in airline flying.....
Which airline?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Which airline?
As chief pilot or just a line Captain?

To save time I have been both.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

altiplano wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:21 am Draft hogs will take down this whole fucking airline with one incident unless they learn to manage themselves.

Used to be our contract protected you from yourself, now some of these morons think unlimited OT and doing 100+ a month is a pay raise...
Greed isn't confined to the executive suite.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:16 am
Personally I think only pilots who never ever missed a frequency change in their whole flying career should be criticizing this crew.......
We are talking about a two crew airline operation here Big Pistons.

I can comment on this having thousands of hours as PIC in airline flying.....

Of course I can understand those who have no experience in that field being reluctant to comment.
You must be the only one with that level of experience.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:49 am
Which airline?

Chief Pilot at an airline! Impressive.
To repeat the question, Which airline?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There is nothing impressive about it.

It is just another approval process one passes with the regulator.

Airwest Airlines Vancouver B.C. 1974/75.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

So Twin Otters on floats?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

So Twin Otters on floats?
Yes, we operated them VFR and IFR .

Being able to fly on centre stored flight plans with two pilots in IMC weather made it much more safe.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:34 am
There is nothing impressive about it.

It is just another approval process one passes with the regulator.

Airwest Airlines Vancouver B.C. 1974/75.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airline/6BH

Airwest Airlines.....Vancouver......merged into Air B.C....later merged with other regionals to become Jazz.....you could have stayed on and become an Air Canada pilot via the PML.....and with no max age limit, you could be on A320's into SFO. What a waste of an opportunity ..

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Anyone familiar with SOP's on the 320 at AC? Is there a something to use as a memory aid for landing clearance? Taxi light or something else?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

GoinVertical wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm Anyone familiar with SOP's on the 320 at AC? Is there a something to use as a memory aid for landing clearance? Taxi light or something else?
Sometimes it can be helpful to come up with your own reminder. Maybe as one descends through 2000', they could add a bit to the end of their checklist and say....'Landing No Blue - Cleared to Land(or landing Clearance to Go)'.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Airwest Airlines.....Vancouver......merged into Air B.C....later merged with other regionals to become Jazz.....you could have stayed on and become an Air Canada pilot via the PML.....and with no max age limit, you could be on A320's into SFO. What a waste of an opportunity ..
That is true, however airline flying is to much like paint by numbers flying and I found it boring.

So I flew in other kinds of flying such as aerial application both fixed and rotary wing and then fire suppression and then the airdisplay circuit in Europe and then flying for French TV in Africa and finally I flew for Merimax movies which was the best paying by far..

Looking back I would not have changed anything.

As to age limit that was only determined by when I chose to retire which I did at the age of seventy, because having flown for over fifty years for a living I decided that was enough. :mrgreen:

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

For my own curiosity - does Air Canada operate the RMPs with SEL light On or OFF?

I've always flown with SEL light OFF - my company has recently changed to SEL light ON - going to cause some problems imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:49 am
Which airline?

Austin Airways 1962
DC3

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:15 pm
That is true, however airline flying is to much like paint by numbers flying and I found it boring.

So I flew in other kinds of flying such as aerial application both fixed and rotary wing and then fire suppression and then the airdisplay circuit in Europe and then flying for French TV in Africa and finally I flew for Merimax movies which was the best paying by far..

Looking back I would not have changed anything.

As to age limit that was only determined by when I chose to retire which I did at the age of seventy, because having flown for over fifty years for a living I decided that was enough. :mrgreen:
You’re forgetting the Airbus SIM!

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

You’d think flying so much one would be at the top of their game.
Probably were well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Eric Janson wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:13 pm For my own curiosity - does Air Canada operate the RMPs with SEL light On or OFF?

I've always flown with SEL light OFF - my company has recently changed to SEL light ON - going to cause some problems imho.
SEL light OFF is SOP. FO reaches around the thrust levers to operate the Capt’s RMP to tune VHF1/HF1.
GoinVertical wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm Anyone familiar with SOP's on the 320 at AC? Is there a something to use as a memory aid for landing clearance? Taxi light or something else?
Yes. T/O light ON when landing clearance received. (Runway turn off light ON when approach clearance received)(ironically, Landing lights ON when takeoff clearance received. So Ldg light means cleared for takeoff, T/O light means cleared to land!)

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

AOW wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:37 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:13 pm For my own curiosity - does Air Canada operate the RMPs with SEL light On or OFF?

SEL light OFF is SOP. FO reaches around the thrust levers to operate the Capt’s RMP to tune VHF1/HF1.
Thanks AOW - that makes it harder to accidentally de-select the active frequency imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”