Air Sprint Questions

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Sprint Questions

Post by Alcoholism »

If you like your work day to change all the time, change FP in mid air, set up customs in mid air, and additional unpredictability beyond a normal corporate FD, then this is the place for you. Hectic and busy will be the words to describe this place.
---------- ADS -----------

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Alcoholism wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 pm If you like your work day to change all the time, change FP in mid air, set up customs in mid air, and additional unpredictability beyond a normal corporate FD, then this is the place for you. Hectic and busy will be the words to describe this place.
Hi Alcoholism,

As a Fractional operator, we are not technically a corporate flight department, and so our operations differ in a number of ways. With over 4 pilots per aircraft our pilots have the benefit of bidding for their schedules through our Preferential Bidding System, as well as taking vacation or choosing specific days off throughout the year that most corporate/managed flight departments can't or don't offer. And while it is true that we are a busy flight department, with our pilots flying between 450 - 600 hours a year, we can offer far more job security then a corporate/managed flight department can offer. Personally, I enjoy our mix of flying and layovers that our schedule offers, and while there may be occasional same day changes, the challenge of executing those changes in a safe and efficient manner is very satisfying. We also offer several support tools such as a Duty Pilot available 24/7 that can assist with flight plans and customs for those last minute changes, and are working towards a new Flight Support position that will offer support in this area as well.

I hope this helps clarify what working conditions are like here, but if you would like to discuss further please feel free to reach out to me directly!

All the best to you in 2019!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot - C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.
mnr@airsprint.com

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

AirSprintInc wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 am
Alcoholism wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 pm If you like your work day to change all the time, change FP in mid air, set up customs in mid air, and additional unpredictability beyond a normal corporate FD, then this is the place for you. Hectic and busy will be the words to describe this place.
Hi Alcoholism,

As a Fractional operator, we are not technically a corporate flight department, and so our operations differ in a number of ways. With over 4 pilots per aircraft our pilots have the benefit of bidding for their schedules through our Preferential Bidding System, as well as taking vacation or choosing specific days off throughout the year that most corporate/managed flight departments can't or don't offer. And while it is true that we are a busy flight department, with our pilots flying between 450 - 600 hours a year, we can offer far more job security then a corporate/managed flight department can offer. Personally, I enjoy our mix of flying and layovers that our schedule offers, and while there may be occasional same day changes, the challenge of executing those changes in a safe and efficient manner is very satisfying. We also offer several support tools such as a Duty Pilot available 24/7 that can assist with flight plans and customs for those last minute changes, and are working towards a new Flight Support position that will offer support in this area as well.

I hope this helps clarify what working conditions are like here, but if you would like to discuss further please feel free to reach out to me directly!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot - C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.
mnr@airsprint.com
Mr. Rolleman,

Just want to say your transparency and effort in responding are appreciated.
When alcoholism wrote this post the active topics also showed he wrote at least another 23 posts bashing anyone and everyone. I wouldn’t take it personal, I personally think there better ways to spend my NYE than being an internet troll. Maybe he/she couldn’t be bothered to find at least one friend and drag themself out of the basement, or perhaps it was one last hurrah of being a complete loser before a New Years resolution comes in effect. Either way, it’s embarrassing.

Radiohead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radiohead »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 am
Hi Alcoholism,

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot - C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.
mnr@airsprint.com
Mr. Rolleman,

When alcoholism wrote this post the active topics also showed he wrote at least another 23 posts bashing anyone and everyone. I wouldn’t take it personal, I personally think there better ways to spend my NYE than being an internet troll. Maybe he/she couldn’t be bothered to find at least one friend and drag themself out of the basement, or perhaps it was one last hurrah of being a complete loser before a New Years resolution comes in effect. Either way, it’s embarrassing.
While I have to agree that Alcoholism's approach is a little ham-fisted and seem trollish, his points are valid, burnout is a real issue at AirSprint in recent years, and turnover is quite high, even when considering the state of the industry, with several people departing before their bonds were up in the past year, willing to pay out the pro-rated part of their $36,000 bond just to get out. Management has an incentive to paint a rather rosey picture of life at AirSprint in order to keep a steady stream of new applicants coming in the door, invariably less-experienced than the last, otherwise they would have to actually address the working conditions. Among the management that flies, all of them except Mr. Rolleman are typed only on the Legacy 450, and so in general they lack the knowledge of the daily experiences of the CJ crews, and not to denigrate Matt Rolleman, as he is one of the hardest working Chief Pilots I've seen, but the flying he personally enjoys can be a bit choice, as management gets preferential treatment and a choice of the flying that they want to do whenever possible.

For those choosing to make this fractional job their career, it is a long road to the cushier Legacy 450 positions, as those only go to senior pilots and only when there are openings, and AirSprint will reapply the 36,000 bond to the new type, no matter your tenure. The process to get there is onerous enough that in the past year a pilot that originally wanted to make AirSprint his career and desired the 450, when finally offered the Legacy 450 turned it down on a couple of occasions before deciding to leave.

While life at AirSprint isn't all bad, maintenance is decent, the bidding system works sometimes (although days off aren't guranteed) and generally management will pull some strings if you have an urgent matter that needs attending. But overall "hectic" is certainly a word I could use to describe it, and some people might enjoy that, but it certainly isn't for everyone.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Radiohead wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:24 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Alcoholism,

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot - C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.
mnr@airsprint.com
Mr. Rolleman,

While I have to agree that Alcoholism's approach is a little ham-fisted and seem trollish, his points are valid, burnout is a real issue at AirSprint in recent years, and turnover is quite high, even when considering the state of the industry, with several people departing before their bonds were up in the past year, willing to pay out the pro-rated part of their $36,000 bond just to get out. Management has an incentive to paint a rather rosey picture of life at AirSprint in order to keep a steady stream of new applicants coming in the door, invariably less-experienced than the last, otherwise they would have to actually address the working conditions. Among the management that flies, all of them except Mr. Rolleman are typed only on the Legacy 450, and so in general they lack the knowledge of the daily experiences of the CJ crews, and not to denigrate Matt Rolleman, as he is one of the hardest working Chief Pilots I've seen, but the flying he personally enjoys can be a bit choice, as management gets preferential treatment and a choice of the flying that they want to do whenever possible.

For those choosing to make this fractional job their career, it is a long road to the cushier Legacy 450 positions, as those only go to senior pilots and only when there are openings, and AirSprint will reapply the 36,000 bond to the new type, no matter your tenure. The process to get there is onerous enough that in the past year a pilot that originally wanted to make AirSprint his career and desired the 450, when finally offered the Legacy 450 turned it down on a couple of occasions before deciding to leave.

While life at AirSprint isn't all bad, maintenance is decent, the bidding system works sometimes (although days off aren't guranteed) and generally management will pull some strings if you have an urgent matter that needs attending. But overall "hectic" is certainly a word I could use to describe it, and some people might enjoy that, but it certainly isn't for everyone.
Hi Radiohead,

I assume you are a current pilot with us and I certainly appreciate your feedback/comments and encourage you to reach out to me directly if you are feeling burnt out or if there is anything else I can do to improve your quality of life here at AirSprint, my door is always open and my phone is always on. I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your comments though as there may be some confusion here.

You are correct in saying that AirSprint isn't for everyone, I have yet to find a job that is, but we are constantly working towards improvements for not only pilots but all members of the AirSprint team. Some of the improvements we have made in the past 6 months that have directly impacted the lifestyle/working conditions of the pilots here include the introduction of different scheduling options and the purchase of 3 new aircraft, including 2 CJ3+'s and associated additional crew members to fly those machines. There are also additional changes planned for 2019 and beyond that will continue to improve the working conditions for all AirSprint team members, pilots included. You are also correct that we paint a rosy picture of AirSprint, but not for the reasons you state, it's because we all truly believe that this is a great place to work and are excited to be a part of a company that consistently strives to improve in everything it does! We also do our best to provide an accurate picture of the lifestyle at AirSprint not only on here, but during the hiring process as well, to ensure a good fit for both the company and the pilot, as like I said above, no job is perfect for everyone.

Regarding management not understanding the lifestyle of the CJ fleet, the President/COO, the DFO, and the Training Manager have all flown the CJ and are familiar with the type of flying it does, so I don't believe that to be a fair comment. As for my flying, my goal is to fly as much as possible when I fly the line as I am usually training or mentoring other pilots (I also love to fly!), and even with that I enjoy a nice mix of flying and layovers. I don't know of any management pilots getting preferential treatment when it comes to their flying schedule, although changes are made occasionally to accomplish training or for other operational reasons.

Upgrade times from the CJ to the Legacy vary, as it is still a new machine for us (we've had them just over 2 years), but with the continued growth of the company there will be additional opportunities for advancement coming. And while it is true, we do bond again when transitioning between types, it is important to note that the $36,000.00 does not come close to covering the cost of the course from FlightSafety and is a discounted rate from what external hires sign on to.

Unfortunately I can't go into specific detail on your example of a pilot receiving multiple offers for the Legacy only to leave, I believe you may have some bad information there.

Finally, as mentioned above, I would be happy to address your specific concerns directly and encourage you to reach out to me. Without knowing who you are or what your specific concerns are, unfortunately there is little I can do to help.

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

Kardow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kardow »

Hi, just wondering if you will still be hiring in the next few months? I have 3500 hours with 1000h PIC on 705 aircraft. Thank you!

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Kardow wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am Hi, just wondering if you will still be hiring in the next few months? I have 3500 hours with 1000h PIC on 705 aircraft. Thank you!
Good Morning Kardow,

We do forecast additional hiring in the coming months so if you are interested in joining AirSprint I encourage you to submit a resume to careers@airsprint.com or you can send it directly to me at mnr@airsprint.com.

In addition, should you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

I hope you have a pleasant weekend!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

pilot96140
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilot96140 »

Hi Guys,

I noticed that the requirements for an FO are pretty high, does anyone know if Air Sprint has been hiring below their minimums posted? The company sounds very transparent with a decent work life balance, it's definitely spiked my interest in applying.

Thanks

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

pilot96140 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:13 am Hi Guys,

I noticed that the requirements for an FO are pretty high, does anyone know if Air Sprint has been hiring below their minimums posted? The company sounds very transparent with a decent work life balance, it's definitely spiked my interest in applying.

Thanks
Hi Pilot96140,

Thank you for your interest in AirSprint! We do occasionally hire below the stated minimums depending on previous experience or if there is an internal recommend involved, but we do try to stay fairly close to them as much as possible. That said, I always encourage everyone to apply if you are interested in working with us, no matter what your experience level is. It shows interest in the company and sometimes it's a matter of right place, right time :)

Feel free to reach out to me directly with your details if you like at mnr@airsprint.com, otherwise you can forward your resume to careers@airsprint.com and I will receive it that way too.

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Anyone know the typical upgrade time for a FO to get Captaincy???

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

780Pilot wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:16 pm Anyone know the typical upgrade time for a FO to get Captaincy???
One year per superfluous question mark.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

780Pilot wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:16 pm Anyone know the typical upgrade time for a FO to get Captaincy???
Hi 780Pilot,

For the Citation fleet I am forecasting approximately 2 years, it could be a little bit more or less depending on where you are based. This is what we are currently seeing and is subject to change as a result of several factors such as growth, attrition, etc.

Feel free to contact me directly at mnr@airsprint.com if you would like additional information!

Kind Regards,
Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Hi Matt,

Just wondering if it would be possible (feasible) to work at AirSprint at yyz or yul and commute from Halifax?

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

ehv8oar wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:38 pm Hi Matt,

Just wondering if it would be possible (feasible) to work at AirSprint at yyz or yul and commute from Halifax?
Hi ehv8oar,

Currently our only policy is that you are able to report to your home base airport within 90 minutes of receiving a phone call do so when you are on reserve. And while we don't have a policy one way or the other on commuting, I cannot in good conscience recommend it due to the expense (we do not have any agreements in place with any airlines) and the additional time involved to position back and forth on your days off.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

Radiohead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radiohead »

ehv8oar wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:38 pm Hi Matt,

Halifax was on the original list of potential secondary bases that was floated by management when they were first considering the idea and surveying the pilots, but mostly only western cities made the final cut besides Quebec City and the later-addition of Ottawa once the ridiculousness of its exclusion was mentioned.

Maybe if you ask sweetly enough they will make an exception?

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Hello ehv8oar,

The current list of approved base airports is CYYJ, CYVR, CYLW, CYYC, CYEG, CYWG, CYYZ, CYOW, CYUL, CYQB, and CYFC. The airports are selected by looking at how many clients are based in the cities, how often we fly to those particular locations, and the feasibility of positioning pilots in and out of those locations for flight assignments. Using some calculations and spreadsheet wizardry we have developed a system what accurately predicts the required number of pilots at each location. Ottawa has always been an approved airport since the secondary base structure was brought in last year.

We're not setup to commute pilots, but CYHZ is not out of the question as a secondary base. We had originally looked at it but had no pilot demand for the location. In short, it is definitely something we can talk about.

Cheers,

Adam

Radiohead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radiohead »

AirSprintInc wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:23 am Ottawa has always been an approved airport since the secondary base structure was brought in last year.
To be fair, Adam, the original announcement of secondary bases did not include Ottawa, the announcement was amended about a week later to include YOW.

Probably a moot point, since the announcement preceded the implementation of the secondary base structure, and in that sense it was "always" part of the secondary base structure upon implementation, but it was not on the "original" list of secondary bases.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

What? I'll need my lawyer to read that over

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Radiohead wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:03 pm
AirSprintInc wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:23 am Ottawa has always been an approved airport since the secondary base structure was brought in last year.
To be fair, Adam, the original announcement of secondary bases did not include Ottawa, the announcement was amended about a week later to include YOW.

Probably a moot point, since the announcement preceded the implementation of the secondary base structure, and in that sense it was "always" part of the secondary base structure upon implementation, but it was not on the "original" list of secondary bases.
Hi radio,

Seeing as I was part of the conversation with regards to the secondary bases and you have brought Ottawa up a few times I figured I would clarify what happened. If memory serves me correctly the conversation went like this:

Adam: Hey James, we forgot to include Ottawa on the secondary base list, you're good with it right?
James: Yep.
Adam: Ok, I'll update the list.

Ottawa was omitted but it was never rejected. AirSprint's first ever base east of Calgary was in Ottawa and we had pilots living out of Ottawa for around 8 years between 2000 and 2015.

Hope this clarifies it.

James

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Hey Adam, just sent you a PM.

Return to “Corporate”