ADS-B

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ADS-B

Post by Cessna 180 »

Helno wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 am
charrois wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:40 pm I wonder if by the time it's mandated in Canada, someone might make some kind of ADS-B repeater for a top antenna installation that would just retransmit the signal from the bottom antenna... might make an upgrade path a lot more feasible for people who already have a bottom-mounted ADS-B transponder...
They could just update the DO standard to allow for roof mounted transponders.

The only reason single antenna solutions currently use the belly is because we have ground based radar infrastructure.

True diversity in transponders is only needed on large aircraft. Small GA aircraft with a single belly mount antennas have good enough visibility for TCAS to see them so what the problem with just moving the antenna to the roof?
because that's not FAA/ICAO/EASA compliant.
---------- ADS -----------

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

They are just looking for an excise tp buy a new aircraft. They have been for a while pushing for a couple of used 604's.

We've made similar aircraft ADS-B compliant recently and it's not that expensive. WAAS, etc is another upgrade but again some of this is likely required on 604's as many have been around quite awhile and don't have it or it may be retro'd already.

Depending on the utilization rates it may or may not be worth it but using ADS-B alone as an excuse is weak......

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

AuxBatOn wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:30 am
complexintentions wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:48 am I too have to wonder how the military only "realized" this could be an issue two months before the deadline to implement it. The satellites for space-based ADS-B were being launched in 2017 and it's a no-brainer that it was coming, particularly for trans-oceanic flights.

More likely just the excuse to update the VIP fleet.
Nope. It has been talked about for years already. The “bang for buck” for the upgrades required (not just ADS-B) is not there considering the life left in them.
"Talked about for years already", yet what has been done? SFA, as per usual. Which was my point.

The Germans have 4 Globals but somehow we can't afford to upgrade even to newer used machines - not even with the justification that upgrading the current fleet to a basic minimum standard isn't cost-effective.

I have serving friends so I feel for them, but it's not hard to see why people make fun of the Canadian military all the time.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

The Germans have 4 Globals but somehow we can't afford to upgrade even to newer used machines - not even with the justification that upgrading the current fleet to a basic minimum standard isn't cost-effective.
There is no money for veterans etc etc when Mr. Dress-up is giving it all away !!!

Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Galaxy »

https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-an ... ate-EN.pdf

NOTICE OF CHANGE UPDATE

CANADIAN ADS-B OUT PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS MANDATE

In 2018, NAV CANADA conducted an Aeronautical Study to specify minimum performance
requirements for all ADS-B Out equipped aircraft to operate in certain designated airspace to
enhance safety and efficiency.

A phased implementation was recommended, to begin in 2021 with DO260B Standard (or
equivalent) and antenna diversity. The changes were to be made in the Canadian Designated
Airspace Handbook (DAH).

NAV CANADA and Transport Canada are responding to stakeholder feedback and valued
industry input that indicates more time is required to prepare for the ADS-B Out Performance
Requirements Mandate. As a result, initial space-based ADS-B system implementation will no
longer require a performance requirements mandate and will be used on a priority basis for
suitably equipped aircraft starting in 2021. Space-based ADS-B will be used for surveillance in
Class A and B airspace according to the original dates identified in the Canadian space-based
ADS-B Performance Requirements Mandate Aeronautical Study recommendations.

• Class A: 25 February 2021
• Class B: 27 January 2022

Non ADS-B Out equipped aircraft will be accommodated within the airspace until a performance
requirements mandate can be implemented.

NAV CANADA will work closely with Transport Canada to develop a path towards a mandate.
The postponement of the performance requirements mandate will provide time to develop the
regulatory framework with Transport Canada to support an effective mandate.

This will also provide additional time for the equipment certification process associated with
antennae diversity requirements to progress considering potential future use cases in other
airspace classifications.

For further information, please contact:

NAV CANADA
Customer Service
77 Metcalfe Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 5L6
Tel.: 800-876-4693
Fax: 877-663-6656
E-mail: service@navcanada.ca

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

This sounds a lot like "hey, we're jut going to keep moving on this the way we planned... Y'all just catch up once you decide on some regulations."

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Exactly. It's as if NavCanada suddenly decided that the minimum visibility for VFR in Class C is 5 NM, and Transport Canada decided that as the regulator, their own regulations don't apply because NavCanada provides the service in that airspace.

In the meantime, NavCanada wants everyone in Class A and B airspace to equip with ADS-B but aren't themselves equipped yet. I heard a clueless N aircraft on center the other day asking the controller if his ADS-B was working and the reply was "I don't think we can see that". Meanwhile my little single engine homebuilt can see all their ADS-B data so we passed it on.

"Climb via SID" anyone? Shouldn't NavCanada have a good look through their upper management and find all these people who have no clue how to do their jobs instead of letting them run amok and then rolling back their own edicts?

Return to “General Comments”