The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by pilotbzh »

Oxi wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:22 pm Any Cathy, Emirates and the like coming to AC will be forced onto the open 777 and 787 spots and doing the same job for 60.06$ an hour.
not happening.....
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

pilotbzh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:49 pm [quote=Oxi post_id=<a href="tel:1094792">1094792</a> time=<a href="tel:1573172551">1573172551</a> user_id=36442]
Any Cathy, Emirates and the like coming to AC will be forced onto the open 777 and 787 spots and doing the same job for 60.06$ an hour.
not happening.....
[/quote]

That’s absolutely what’s happening? Do you work for Air Canada? If so read the new hire bios and then look on the training report where the last Eva, Emirates and Cathay Pilots ended up.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Yes he is right. And it is very smart to cherry pick those guys with heavy experience from the sand box or Asia. And yes it happening. 4 guys total, all coming from overseas, did get assigned 787F direct on both september PIT courses. Just go online.
Now, 4 guys out of what, 30-50 total for September isn't that big. As long as nobody on the property takes those jobs, it will be filled from time to time by new hires, and probably not in huge numbers. At the discretion of flight ops.
Just shows there is no shortage of quality applicants at AC.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Everyone seems so outraged over but has anyone asked those people if they mind? Perhaps someone coming from a widebody background would prefer staying on the widebody instead of being an EMB FO and flying 2 turns a day to Nashville or whatever they do.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Lol, hell no man. They are pissed! They know they will sit on reserve for like 6 years

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

There is something very telling in this for those contemplating chasing tin and money overseas.......

The other interesting thing is the massive experience difference between the "Off the Street" nerw hires and Jazz PML new hires. Not sure why AC is continuing with such a high ratio PML intake when it is causing them to pass over some incredibly skilled and experienced applicants. Many of us in the left seat are hoping this changes soon.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Cause they locked into a contract. It's not up to them anymore. They have to take Jazz PML's for the majority 60%

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

sportingrifle wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 am There is something very telling in this for those contemplating chasing tin and money overseas.......

The other interesting thing is the massive experience difference between the "Off the Street" nerw hires and Jazz PML new hires. Not sure why AC is continuing with such a high ratio PML intake when it is causing them to pass over some incredibly skilled and experienced applicants. Many of us in the left seat are hoping this changes soon.
The PML ensures they have a steady supply of pilots at the regionals. That's the reason the whole thing exists. I'm sure AC would rather hire a 20,000 hr 777 Captain over a 2,000 hr Dash 8 F/O. Not many young 20 somethings would stick around at Jazz if they didn't have the PML, and they had to change the acceptance rate to 90% because everyone was leaving after their PFO in past years.

Let’s Go Brandon
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

What's so bas about the dreaded reserve? Is it just not being able to plan your month? How often do you get called out? Are there months where you get paid just to sit at home? If you get called out can you pass it on to someone less senior than you if they are available? Is there a limit to that?

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

The reserve rules at AC are archaic and border on illegall. As a junior reserve (and they’ll be junior reserve fur a while) Crew Sked owns your ass. Think you are going for a nice two day pairing and come home 6 days later. It’s not a nice place to be.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

bcflyer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:01 pm The reserve rules at AC are archaic and border on illegall. As a junior reserve (and they’ll be junior reserve fur a while) Crew Sked owns your ass. Think you are going for a nice two day pairing and come home 6 days later. It’s not a nice place to be.
Yeah, but senior reserve (especially in YVR) is amazing! Pass on everything and you’ll go ages without flying, all the while still getting paid.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

What makes YVR especially good for reserve?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Class of 8 started yesterday. No OTS if I remember correctly. A handful of ggn

Expect to see a few ggn in Dec gs as well. Not sure about the ots number.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

iflyroads wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:38 am Class of 8 started yesterday. No OTS if I remember correctly. A handful of ggn

Thanks for the info Roads, can we expect the Dec 2nd class will be the last one of 2019? If so, any idea what the new year holds in terms of class sizes or frequency?

Thanks,

T

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Transition9er2 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 am
iflyroads wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:38 am Class of 8 started yesterday. No OTS if I remember correctly. A handful of ggn

Thanks for the info Roads, can we expect the Dec 2nd class will be the last one of 2019? If so, any idea what the new year holds in terms of class sizes or frequency?

Thanks,

T
That's a correct assumption. Expect hiring to ramp up again beginning of Jan.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:44 pm
bcflyer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:01 pm The reserve rules at AC are archaic and border on illegall. As a junior reserve (and they’ll be junior reserve fur a while) Crew Sked owns your ass. Think you are going for a nice two day pairing and come home 6 days later. It’s not a nice place to be.
Yeah, but senior reserve (especially in YVR) is amazing! Pass on everything and you’ll go ages without flying, all the while still getting paid.

Now there’s an attitude right there.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:roll:

jim67994
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jim67994 »

I've applied to the position a couple of times and received a message saying that I would be receiving a confirmation email. I've checked my spam and every other mailbox but this email has never arrived. Has anyone else experienced this?

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 200Above »

jim67994 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:43 pm I've applied to the position a couple of times and received a message saying that I would be receiving a confirmation email. I've checked my spam and every other mailbox but this email has never arrived. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes. When this happened to me, I waited 9 months and decided to use a different email and received a confirmation email immediately. I got called for an interview a couple months later.

I’d suggest using a different email that results in a confirmation. I sat like a donkey waiting and I doubt my resume was ever on file. For the record, I used a hotmail account initially, which didn’t work, and used an iCloud email address when I got my confirmation. :rolleyes:

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

jim67994 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:43 pm I've applied to the position a couple of times and received a message saying that I would be receiving a confirmation email. I've checked my spam and every other mailbox but this email has never arrived. Has anyone else experienced this?
Had the same problem as well... certain email servers don't work, its quite a big issue on AC's part. There is an email under the FAQ to inquire.. however the IBM guy will just say its lost and to apply again. (https://careers.aircanada.com/pages/faq), go under the application section about how to know if your application has been received.

Best way I found is to create a profile, get the email back saying your profile is created, then apply through that profile. Google "Taleo Air Canada" and create a profile that way. You should get an email almost immediately after applying saying its been received, along with a login password and user ID.

Return to “Air Canada”