Harbour Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Harbour Air

Post by 8675309 »

I've always wanted to go back to the west coast and fly for Seair or Harbour Air but I can't get over giving up 10-12K a month to do it. My employment usually comes with free accommodations minus food. I can't understand why these two companies haven't secured crew housing for their seasonal employees or provide some sort of assistance.
---------- ADS -----------

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 am They are losing too many pilots to the airline world and there aren’t enough pilots willing to swamp and drive for a few seasons out east to get the experience required to come to the big smoke.
As a new Beaver pilot, expect a longer season than back east, but several months off at the low tide of tourist season. Rates are around the $30 an hour mark based on duty day and 4 on 3 off schedule.
Hmmmm, seems like cause and effect at work.

AJH
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AJH »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 am Both hiring minimums and pay scales have changed at HA. Not significantly, but changed nonetheless. They are losing too many pilots to the airline world and there aren’t enough pilots willing to swamp and drive for a few seasons out east to get the experience required to come to the big smoke.

But yeah, the Twotter FO position isn’t really for OTS.. though it is structured so you can start with no significant time on the dock and work your way up through the Beaver to the Otter or Caravan or Twin Otter capt if you’re the right individual.

The toughest thing is the seasonal nature of your first few years. As a new Beaver pilot, expect a longer season than back east, but several months off at the low tide of tourist season. Rates are around the $30 an hour mark based on duty day and 4 on 3 off schedule.
Awesome thank you! How long should/could someone expect to work the docks before being eligible for the twin otter FO position? Just not too sure if I can afford 1-3 years of not flying, with how the industry is transitioning these days -- writing my iatra this week! :prayer:

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

As I said in my previous post, it’s for the right person. As with most things in aviation, many choose, few are chosen. Not every dock hand is going to go right seat in the Twotter.

I’ve never been a fan of ramp or dock positions because they are sources of cheap labour that most normal people wouldn’t do for the wages (especially in Vancouver) and because of the open endedness of their arrangement. The offer of a flight line job is what is known as a “carrot” and typically the company will let just enough through to make it plausible for all who do it.

When it doesn’t happen, it can be rationalized by things like “business isn’t as good this year”, “we need more experienced pilots flying the line”, “we still need you on the dock since we have no one else with the experience”,
or “no pilots are leaving/upgrading to give you a spot”.

As you are there on the dock, you are learning about the operation and making connections, but your flying skills are deteriorating and you aren’t getting any closer to your eventual goal.

Take a dock position but understand it is a gamble, and set a limit as to how long you’re going to be there without getting a seat. It might be you have to go somewhere else to get flying time, but the connections you make will help you get back into the company if that is your goal.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

AJH wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:48 pm
Awesome thank you! How long should/could someone expect to work the docks before being eligible for the twin otter FO position? Just not too sure if I can afford 1-3 years of not flying, with how the industry is transitioning these days -- writing my iatra this week! :prayer:
My opinion - worth what you paid for it - would be a year. If you’re hired for this summer, and work through the winter, and you’re not up for a seat next year, then bye- bye, HA. (Assuming, of course, that the economy rolls along reasonably well.)

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

I’ve always said that Dock/ramp spots are great while you’re a PPL or working on your CPL; then you’re learning for when you’re employable as a pilot. Once you have that CPL though, especially now, there’s no reason not to go be a pilot somewhere.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Generally, the dock rats are not respected by the pilots, so use the knowledge and fly away somewhere else. I did and was better in the long run.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Generally, the dock rats are not respected by the pilots,
That is disgusting, just plain disgusting if I caught any pilot that was working for me doing that the pilot would be an unemployed pilot.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Rumour has it the pilots call the dock and counter staff "assassins". Probably a few real colourful stories there.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

ayseven wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:05 am Generally, the dock rats are not respected by the pilots, so use the knowledge and fly away somewhere else. I did and was better in the long run.
My brother is a dockhand at HA and has a great rapport with the pilots. Dunno where you hear this.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is what i lived, not heard. But long ago, during the last century. This experience was not harbour air btw.

Last edited by ayseven on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

ayseven wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm It is what i lived, not heard. But long ago, during the last century.
OK, Boomer! :smt040 :wink:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Sorry not getting the reference... Straight outta Dunderave though is good.

Turbo82
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbo82 »

Harbour Air is the best place I’ve ever worked when it comes to staff. Fantastic people on the dock, in the airplane and behind the front counter. Everyone is a big family. Of course there’s always one or two in every village, but If you left harbour air feeling like you weren’t respected, it’s more likely that you didn’t deserve it.

Last edited by Turbo82 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

7ECA wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:24 pm Rumour has it the pilots call the dock and counter staff "assassins". Probably a few real colourful stories there.
Rumour is completely false. The fresh FOs are jokingly called assassins. Seeing as all FOs are former dock or counter crew, the Captains have a great rapport with them, and its all very light-hearted. But let's be honest, who hasn't had a 200hr FO try and a kill them at some point?

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Here is a question for the group on HA. I’m at 800 TT, 650 PIC, float (10) and multi rated (working on IFR) and living in Victoria. I would really like to get on board with them as a FO as I have more than their minimums for FO even without the IFR. Though not listed my IATRA will be written shortly. Any chance they might consider me? I’m dying to find work that will help me finish paying for the group 1. I flew jumpers this year and can do so again. But I’m not liking sitting on EI and getting antsy to find some flying work sooner.

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

@AirDoan - Honestly, the Twin Otter FO position at HA probably is not the right path in your case.

First of all, candidates are chosen from within, so you'd have to start on the dock or front counter. The wait has been anywhere from a couple of months to years. It all depends on how many people are already in the pool, and how many positions become available.

Secondly, you have a reasonable amount of PIC and TT. You will make more money sooner getting your IATRA and IFR done and going to somewhere like PASCO or CMA.

If you REALLY want to fly floats on the coast as a career, get into a 185 float job, get your float time up and apply at HA as a Beaver pilot.

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

I_Heart_Seaplanes wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:46 pm @AirDoan - Honestly, the Twin Otter FO position at HA probably is not the right path in your case.

First of all, candidates are chosen from within, so you'd have to start on the dock or front counter. The wait has been anywhere from a couple of months to years. It all depends on how many people are already in the pool, and how many positions become available.

Secondly, you have a reasonable amount of PIC and TT. You will make more money sooner getting your IATRA and IFR done and going to somewhere like PASCO or CMA.

If you REALLY want to fly floats on the coast as a career, get into a 185 float job, get your float time up and apply at HA as a Beaver pilot.
I hear you. And agree. Path of least resistance with the largest gain. PasCo has been my goal for a while but I’m having trouble financing the last bit of the group 1. So I’ll keep my eye on the prize. If I was 10 years younger I’d head east for a summer and come back for a spot on the beaver. But bills need to be paid and I’ve yet to make more than a barista! Lol

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Welcome to aviation. Go, and don't look back. Experience is always good.

Thewestcoaster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thewestcoaster »

So just for curiosity sake-

For those of us who don't yet have a CPL (Currently PPL with Multi and Floats), the dock to FO climb could be worth it if we were looking to fly floats on the coast long term - or would it still be more beneficial to build time somewhere else (like out east) and attempt to come back later, especially with this supposed mentourship program they were talking about?

Return to “Employment Forum”