College of Pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

College of Pilots?

Post by '97 Tercel »

What ever happened (or is happening) with this thing?

Much ado about nothing?
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: College of Pilots?

Post by telex »

Basically $60 you are not getting back.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

Can't even get ACPA to work together with ALPA and your think we'll have a College Of Pilots?

Lol.

The closest thing would be if Air Canada pilots pulled their heads out if their ass and finally realized joining ALPA might not be such a bad idea.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

telex wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm Basically $60 you are not getting back.
haha no doubt

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd love for it to work, but I just don't see it happening. Just being a realist.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I continue to pay into this thing because I'm a dreamer and I once dreamed of a day when aerial navigation might be considered a "profession" rather than a "job", but honestly yeah, I'm not getting my sixty bucks back.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

I save 300$ on insurance because of them. :)

Daniel Gustin
doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Switch to Geico and you could save even more !

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

simplicity wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:01 pm Can't even get ACPA to work together with ALPA and your think we'll have a College Of Pilots?

Lol.

The closest thing would be if Air Canada pilots pulled their heads out if their ass and finally realized joining ALPA might not be such a bad idea.
I believe its ALPA that won't work with ACPA. ACPA brings so many pilots that ALPA voting would be diluted to the point where they wouldn't be sharing all airline industry issues, just Air Canada issues. ACPA wants 1 vote per representative member. ALPA wants them to reduce that.........

Saying 1 group has their head up there ass vs the other group is ridiculous. They can work together separately. It's a team game, How are you gonna blame 1 player for the loss?

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

leftoftrack wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:23 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:01 pm Can't even get ACPA to work together with ALPA and your think we'll have a College Of Pilots?

Lol.

I believe its ALPA that won't work with ACPA.
Not according to my contacts.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

What I've heard as well, ACPA wanted everything their way. Funny how the big boy pants go on when dealing with other pilot groups but not for management. :roll:

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

They also did some shady stuff at the ALPA National meeting, using their pull to essentially say they would not join if a regional pilot was president. At a meeting they were invited to as observers. Doesn't surprise me. ACPA fucked themselves.

On a positive note when the merger goes through we all get to vote ACPA or ALPA. Canadian law.

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

From my understanding, ALPA in the USA basically gave them everything they wanted including an independent seat at the "big table." But they still got all hung up on a policy that really doesn't exist .. the merger policy. And walked. ALPA is fed up with their antics so yeah maybe ALPA doesn't want us, but if that's the case that's ACPAs fault for not playing nice. As usual.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Errrrr.... yeah..... because supporting the FDT fatigue rules that the government enshrined into the Gazette showed how far ALPA will go for ACPA issues. All that while the two parties were talking. Stab in the back much?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Pretty sure ALPA is still advocating for better than "international average". At least we're not 3rd worst in the world anymore. That's gotta be worth something. After all, we gotta start somewhere.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Is this thread actually a discussion about the College of Pilots or just a pissing contest between ACPA and ALPA? (my dog’s better than your dog)

I’d really like to understand what I get for my 60 bucks other than an occasional newsletter from some imaginary entity that has meetings from time to time in locations I can’t easily get to because I don’t have ID75s or buddy passes.

I just re-newed my membership for another year but it’s likely my last.

Gino

P.S. Canadian pilots would be better off joining IFALPA. The Americans don’t give-a ‘bout us.

ACboi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ACboi »

We all know ACPA is the best and the ALPA babies are dragging down our industry. ACPA should go national.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Not that it seems to matter but how many out there actually understand or know what the proposed structure and mandate of the College is/was. It's been a while but the last time I saw a flurry of activity was when they were going to propose taking over the licencing from TC. That to me is not what defines a union or a body to represent pilots in labour relations. From what I see there is a group out there who think the College was going to be a place to go (like a union) when there was a labour grievance such as working conditions and pay. I can never see this being a reality.

All pissed off pilots cry union but sadly many choose to get involved. It's much easier to whine and bitch. :lol:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca

Return to “General Comments”