Any good Canadian book suggestions for vfr and ifr comunications for student pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

OldTracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Any good Canadian book suggestions for vfr and ifr comunications for student pilots?

Post by OldTracker »

I am looking for a good reference book on radio comms to give as a gift to my student pilot son. Any ideas? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Any good Canadian book suggestions for vfr and ifr comunications for student pilots?

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Any good Canadian book suggestions for vfr and ifr comunications for student pilots?

Post by CpnCrunch »

They also just released an IFR phraseology guide recently:

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/media/Public ... E6_WEB.pdf

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The problem with those guides is that NavCanada likes to make up their own phraseology rather than following ICAO phraseology (or use the same phraseology but redefine what it means). If you're planning on being an international pilot, you're better off with the Eurocontrol one.

https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/115.pdf

Except if you're going to be flying in the U.S., which like Canada has their own nonstandard standard phraseology. See attached.
CTF_FAA_ICAO.jpg
CTF_FAA_ICAO.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 703 times

Flyingdrummer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyingdrummer »

Another useful tool is to listen to the actual ATC - aircraft communications https://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=canada

Learned a lot. Especially listening to a busy flight training airport like CYKF.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

That's a good idea for hearing but a terrible idea for speaking. Listening to what others do on the radio is the way we end up with "and center its abc checking in with you two eight oh please advise of conflicting traffic". By all means listen, but don't copy.

In any case the op was looking for a book as a gift, which no one has come up with. I know those books exist, I don't know if any of them are any good.

Return to “Flight Training”