Metroliner

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Metroliner

Post by skybluetrek »

Duukar wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm I have a friend who went directly from right seat on a PC12 to right seat on an Embraer 170 to left seat on the Embraer 170 to Right seat on an Embraer 190 to left seat on an Embraer 190. He had literally 25 hours of multi time and moved to the right seat of the E170 in 2013. In fact I know several pilots who moved directly from the right seat on the PC12 to some nice metal. All pilots from Ornge.

People claim to know the route to success. The reality is there are many paths.

You need Multi Turbine >12500 time. You need glass experience. You need experience with automation. Until you don't.

You WILL need PIC time.

I have known people who have flown the metro and died, one co-worker and one friend of a friend. I have known people who have flown the metro and the stories they tell prevent me from ever boarding one again(Entire legs flown with the stall horn activated - Entire legs flown with the gear down). I've worked at a company where 3 Metros went off the runway in one year. It's an old banged up played out aircraft. I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

All that being said, can you fly one safely? Absolutely. Here is where my point is.

It all depends on the company you are flying for!

You can go fly a PC12 for a company like Ornge and you will have a great career. Most of the guys I worked with back in 2010 are still there. The ones who have left are flying with AC and Transat and Porter and Skyregional and Westjet and on and on. Glass time with automation is valuable.

Ornge sends you to SIM. Ornge trains you to a very high standard. Ornge has experienced pilots who act as mentors and help you grow. Above all Ornge has an established safety first culture. Not to mention they actually pay you a living wage.

Pick a company that will train you properly. Any time you spend in the SIM will pay off in spades. Pick a company that will promote you. Pick a company with room to move up to a larger or more complex aircraft. Pick a company where you get paid reasonably. Above all pick a company with a good reputation for safety and treatment of employees.

By the time you have 2000 hours the airlines will be looking at you. Just don't sell you soul to get those hours. When I was growing up as a pilot guys would do anything for an opportunity. It's just not that way anymore. Make a smart choice, stay safe, and pick a company you can spend the next 2-4 years at getting your hours.
Good post. I wish it was Ornge. Any operators not flying the PC12 safely?
---------- ADS -----------

canaviator846
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Metroliner

Post by canaviator846 »

altiplano wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 pm I rode that Baltimore Bitch (skinny wings, no visible means of support) for years...

San-Antonio Sewer Pipes are more to handle than a Beech and loud as shit. If ever an Aeroplane was designed by clowns, it's the
Texas Lawn Dart...

BUT...

Many have done it before - low time no time wannabe to FO on the Death Pencil - so it's certainly doable. There have been a lot of airline careers in Canada built driving The Screamin' Weenie.

If a job on That noisy ****ing thing suits your needs and is a step up for you there isn't anything wrong with the Widow Maker, it is what it is... maybe a half shit job and good experience riding the Sweatro through a summer or 2...

Good luck.
10/10 for the metro references !
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Employment Forum”