Quick study for an interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Quick study for an interview

Post by AirDoan »

Howdy.

So here is a question for everyone. 800TT here and got a recommend for a IFR job from an old instructor buddy. I don't yet actually have my IFR but the INRAT is written and I'm only a few flights away from the flight test (plane and instructor evaporated so searching for a new set). They know this and that I don't have the IATRA or ATPL. I received and replied to a request for my first phone interview at this level which will be later this week! They have stated that they will be asking some technical IFR questions and multi engine stuff. That's not a big problem there as its all still pretty fresh (will still take advice on what to expect! Please and thank you!) But they also stated that they will be asking about multi crew. I haven't started my IATRA or ATPL studies yet as I was hoping to start that after the holiday craziness. So now I may not have time to push through the whole IATRA study guide. What should I focus on if I only have 1 or 2 days to review? I have used Harv's air for my ground school all along so know I could do that and just go through the slides. But in the interest of efficiency I thought I'd ask if there was a few things I lazer focus on between holiday distractions and be able to answer what they could conceivably ask!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Quick study for an interview

Post by bring me the horizon »

Okay so first of all, who interviews during the holidays?

Secondly, considering that you haven't finished your IFR and IATRA means that they'll offer you something like a pilot in waiting position such as; dispatch, ramp or flight follower off the bat. And if you think you're only a few flights away from your flight test and you lost your instructor/plane, you are gravely mistaken. You'll have to do a complete check out and the new instructor will have to do some sim sessions with you just to see where you're at (depending on FTU).

On to your original question. Google "CRM". Obviously they won't expect too much from you since you don't have an IATRA or any IFR and/or multi crew experience but they'll assume that you've been studying.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

CAP GEN stuff is very popular in IFR interviews and also on your initial IFR. Get comfortable with alternate wx, take off alternate, aircraft category, approach ban, what governs takeoff?, approach? and landing? People used to love asking about what to do if an IFR departure is "not assessed", not sure if there are any like that left. Circling arc distance, and how much terrain separation they guarantee. Also be familiar with LO charts and symbology. How to determine minimum altitudes, MSA in area 1 and 5, 2, 3, and 4, and the rest of the country.

Good luck

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

bring me the horizon wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am Okay so first of all, who interviews during the holidays?

Secondly, considering that you haven't finished your IFR and IATRA means that they'll offer you something like a pilot in waiting position such as; dispatch, ramp or flight follower off the bat. And if you think you're only a few flights away from your flight test and you lost your instructor/plane, you are gravely mistaken. You'll have to do a complete check out and the new instructor will have to do some sim sessions with you just to see where you're at (depending on FTU).

On to your original question. Google "CRM". Obviously they won't expect too much from you since you don't have an IATRA or any IFR and/or multi crew experience but they'll assume that you've been studying.
Thanks for the reply! I agree that it was odd. But they obviously need someone.

The instructor and plane, upon further investigation, are just busy. I was going to be flight tested within a week but had to take a quick break to put more funds together ($8/min while on EI from my jump pilot job made it tough). But while that was happening he filled all the spots he had without contacting me to ask if/when I could get going. I get it, he's busy and can not wait forever but a courtesy call would have been good customer service. So now though he can not help me in such a short time frame, has reached out to a part time instructor so I may continue on the same A/C at least. I'll know after the new year as to when. In the meantime I have access to an old 172 with just traditional nav aids. Now obviously I can not practice actual IFR, but I could go through some of the motions doing night cross country VFR. Fly simulated approaches and use traditional ADF/VOR routes.

And I found the CRM documents on the TC site, thank you for that!

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Contact Vs visual approaches
Cap gen
Legal altitudes on approach
Not assessed departure - a great suggestion
VFR departures
Altitude / terrain clearance ( 100 safe, 25 safe, transition, circling)

Multi:

Critical engine
Segment climbs assuming they aircraft is a “ large aircraft”
ADP 1/2 departure if the operation has jets
V1,V2, - general V speed definitions assuming the AC is turbine.

Human Factors/ CRM:

Look at the IATRA /ATPL TC study and reference guide thats a decent place to start.

Without divulging too many details what is the fleet composition?

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

When I interviewed for my first ifr job I brought a bottle of rum and bullshit with the CP for a few hours. Then pestered him for weeks until he hired me. Is that not how everyone does it?

glidr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by glidr »

See posting at the Skylink Express forum for interview questions on technical IFR questions you can expect....

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

glidr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 pm See posting at the Skylink Express forum for interview questions on technical IFR questions you can expect....
Thanks! I found it not long after the last post on here. I just finished the IATRA and will be done the group 1 by the end of the month, weather permitting. I'll be talking to the interviewer again once it's all done.

Return to “Employment Forum”